Denon d1001 compared to Audio-Technica es7?
Dec 23, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 8
I recently replied to a private message about a comparison between the es7 and d1001. I'll go ahead and copy and paste my response here for you.

I reallly enjoyed both cans. Each one of them has their own strengths and weaknesses. I especially liked the es7's for their somewhat bright and fun sound signature. The es7 has great punchy bass and highs that extend quite a bit. (some feel its a bit grainy, others feel its a bit too bright). It was great with electronic based music, hip hop, and even rock. The downside to the es7's in my opinion was the comfort. I kind of struggled to wear them for over an hour straight. I'd have to give my ears a few minutes to rest because the pressure that the es7's put on my ears. Isolation on the es7's was decent. It blocked a decent amount of noise out, and didn't sound a bit. Granted, the sound blocking is nowhere near that of any iem's. Even cheap ones like my marshmallows and pl30's.

The d1001's on the other hand offered great comfort. The pads on them go around your ears instead of on them, and they feel like pillows The sound of the d1001 is a bit more laid back and warm. (The es7 is a bit more upfront and in your face). The d1001 has a great smooth bass and warm midrange. It's highs don't extend nearly as much as the es7, but they are passable imo. Isolation on the d1001 is unique. It blocks out virtually no sound just like an open headphone, but it does not leak any sound either. That could be a positive or negative depending on where you'll be wearing them. I could wear the d1001's for hours upon hours without my ears getting fatigued.

Overall, I enjoyed both headphones alot, but ended up parting with my es7 first, not because I didn't like them, but because they along with my d1001s weren't getting much use. I needed more isolation in my situation so I stuck to using my sf5p exclusively during the few months before I sold my es7; I now use my westone 3's exclusively. I still don't use my d1001 much and just have them around.

I think it really depends on what style you think suits you best. If you listen to more like electronic based music and rock I'd probably give the es7 the edge on a sound perspective. If you listen to more hip hop/jazz/slower rock then I'd give the d1001's the nod. Don't get me wrong both headphones can do all ranges of music, its just my genre preference with those cans. Hope this helped you a bit and you end up enjoying whichever can you pick!

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 8
I own both, and generally agree with jaykay's assessment. They're both great headphones and sound great with my iPod, but I personally lean more toward the ES7s. I would hesitate to call them totally balanced (they're "fun" cans), but they seem to have a little more presence in the upper mids than the D1001s. To my ears, the bass is also tighter and deeper than the D1001s'.

D1001s definitely win for comfort, as jaykay said. However, the comfort of the ES7s can be massively improved by bending the metal part that connects the cups to the headband outward. (There is a thread around here somewhere describing how to do this.) Before I did that, my ears would hurt after maybe 30 minutes of ES7 time. Now I can wear them for hours at a time without discomfort.

Anyway, both are good all-around portable headphones, so take your pick and have fun.

Dec 23, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #4 of 8
FWIW I just finished researching both of these to choose my portable pair and went with the Denons. I figured if I want more down the road, recabling is a cheap and awesome upgrade, and when I save money I'm going with the ESW9's for the future.

May 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The es7 has great punchy bass and highs that extend quite a bit. (some feel its a bit grainy, others feel its a bit too bright). It was great with electronic based music, hip hop, and even rock.

If you listen to more like electronic based music and rock I'd probably give the es7 the edge on a sound perspective. If you listen to more hip hop/jazz/slower rock then I'd give the d1001's the nod. pick!

first you said the es7 are good for hiphop, then you said the d1001's are good for hiphop.. did you confuse yourself on which pair are good for hiphop or something?

i listen to hiphop and drum and bass and after reading this i was going to purchase the es7's because i was on the fence with these 2 phones as well but then at the end you said the opposite about the phones. which it? :p

May 14, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ericonomix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first you said the es7 are good for hiphop, then you said the d1001's are good for hiphop.. did you confuse yourself on which pair are good for hiphop or something?

i listen to hiphop and drum and bass and after reading this i was going to purchase the es7's because i was on the fence with these 2 phones as well but then at the end you said the opposite about the phones. which it? :p

Could it be that both are good for hip-hop? Currently listening to ES7's now, they bass is quite punchy and ample in quantity. Then again, I'm coming from bass anemic headphones. I still want to try the Denon D1001
biggrin.gif
. The ES7's are a little uncomfortable after a bit (1 hour ish). If you really want, you can get the D1001 and if you don't like them, we could trade ^_^

May 14, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 8
My vote goes to denon's though I never owned one. What I do have is its clone the creative aurvana live. The comfort is phenomenal, sound is not the greatest but definitely not mediocre. If your a basshead you better go with the es7

May 15, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 8
Never tried the ES7's.. but the D1001's are great.

You probably can't go wrong with either choice.

If you listen to classical.. I'd probably go for the ES7's, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back