Denon D1000 vs Denon D2000 -- Amped and Unamped
Mar 4, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it worth spending $300 on the D2000s?

I think they are worth $300. But, I would recommend waiting for the retail prices to come back down to ~220 or check the FS/FT forum.

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythrilfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rather typical audiophile drama here. I have a pair of D2000's and a decent amp (used both since last summer). The difference of the sound from the amp, directly from my laptop and even from my tiny Sansa Clip is really small. Sure, it's there and I can hear it, but it's certainly not worth worrying about an amp. The D2000's are perfectly usable without an amp and I regularly do.

I'd say this is typical of those who don't know any better. You're saying they don't need an amp because they don't sound any different completely ignoring where the sound is coming from; the laptop. Like I said before the D2000s are transparent, so when being fed from either your laptop or mp3 player you aren't getting the sound you would from a standalone DAC. In other words you are amplifying a terrible source and saying your don't hear a worthy difference when amped; that should be obvious.

The source is more important than the actual headphone.

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #19 of 19
Despite me absolutely loving the Denon 2000's I personally wouldn't spend more then $240 for them. I paid $212 for them and felt I paid exactly what they were worth.

For portability they are terrible. They are huge, hard to put away and leak almost as bad as an open pair of headphones. This is the major reason I don't believe they are worth the 300-350$.

If you care about sound quality then don't use a mp3 player, its that simple. The sound quality is going to be terrible and once you get into a dac/amp then its really pointless to use an mp3 player. The point of an mp3 player is for portability not for carrying around a brick to listen to your music.

I hear people mentioning they are getting bad sound from their laptop. Well when you buy cheaply made trendy computers this will happen (Macs). I have no problem with my laptop, if anything my laptop sounds slightly better then my desktop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back