Denon D1000 vs Denon D2000 -- Amped and Unamped
Mar 3, 2010 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DKaz

500+ Head-Fier
I currently own the Denon D1000. I love the sound signature and the comfort. I also like how the are easy to drive. I can plug them into my Sony A818 and get very full sound. Yes, they do sound better out of a better source, but the difference is small enough that I have not purchased a portable amp. That being said, I was looking into getting the D2000 and after reviewing the specs wanted to know whether they could be driven by my Sony. They are more sensitive and have a lower Impedence, but numbers aren't everything. Will I be able to use these without a portable amp and get a decent enough sound?

D1000 Specs:
40mm Driver
1,300 mW
32Ohms
103 db Sensitivity

D2000 Specs:
50mm Driver
1,800 mW
25Ohms
106 db Sensitivity

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 19
While the D2000 are harder to drive, I still liked them better than the D1000 when plugged straight into my iPhone 3GS. However, their sound signatures are different - it may come down to preference.

Also, the D2000 is a much larger headphone and may not be suitable for portable use.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 19
Are you serious? This has got to be the biggest self-fulfilling prophesy I've ever seen. The Denon 2000's are 32Ohms and for good reason. At no point in the frequecy vs Ohm comparison does it subjectively go above 40 ohms. On any standard computer or even laptop you're going to get at least that if not 50 ohms. Maybe if you are using an ipod shuffle you'd need an amp. But this really is dumb since the shuffle is portable and the Denon 2000's aren't. I've used numerous amps with the Denon 2000's and the difference seems so subtle that for me its not worth it.

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 19
Yeah the Denons are very transparent with amp/source ~ I've scaled up a few amps and they changed quite significantly along the way, in fact others who have since sold their D2000s have said the same thing. If you're comparing the Denons between say a portable amp and ampless then you likely won't hear a big difference.

To say you're going to get the 32 ohms from any standard computer or laptop and thus adequately powering the Denons you are very mistaken. If indeed you are using the D2000s directly out of your computer you would do a lot better with my above suggestion.

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #7 of 19
Rather typical audiophile drama here. I have a pair of D2000's and a decent amp (used both since last summer). The difference of the sound from the amp, directly from my laptop and even from my tiny Sansa Clip is really small. Sure, it's there and I can hear it, but it's certainly not worth worrying about an amp. The D2000's are perfectly usable without an amp and I regularly do.

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 19
I have the Denon 1001's, and have used them unamped for the last year. I bought a Voyager portable amp last week, and there is a big difference in sound IMO - these may not need an amp, and with my sony dap they sound excellent, but with the GSV they are much improved.

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythrilfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rather typical audiophile drama here. I have a pair of D2000's and a decent amp (used both since last summer). The difference of the sound from the amp, directly from my laptop and even from my tiny Sansa Clip is really small. Sure, it's there and I can hear it, but it's certainly not worth worrying about an amp. The D2000's are perfectly usable without an amp and I regularly do.

You could easily say the same thing about D1001 v. D2000 as well. After you get to mid-fi, its all "audiophile drama."

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 19
Honestly, there won't be a large improvement between an unamped D1001 and an unamped D2000. That's not to say the D2000 doesn't sound "fine" without an amp, just to say that you might as well stay with your D1001 if you're going unamped.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sohels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the D2000 are harder to drive, I still liked them better than the D1000 when plugged straight into my iPhone 3GS. However, their sound signatures are different - it may come down to preference.

Also, the D2000 is a much larger headphone and may not be suitable for portable use.

What was different between their sound signatures?

Also, I am not planning on using them for portability. I can justify taking my Denons to and from work, but do not feel like taking an amp to and from also. I would like to just use my DAP at work.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Folex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you serious? This has got to be the biggest self-fulfilling prophesy I've ever seen. The Denon 2000's are 32Ohms and for good reason. At no point in the frequecy vs Ohm comparison does it subjectively go above 40 ohms. On any standard computer or even laptop you're going to get at least that if not 50 ohms. Maybe if you are using an ipod shuffle you'd need an amp. But this really is dumb since the shuffle is portable and the Denon 2000's aren't. I've used numerous amps with the Denon 2000's and the difference seems so subtle that for me its not worth it.

I can assure you that my reason for this post is not dumb. I would like to take my D2000 to and from work, but would rather not take an amp as well. That is why i wanted to know if I could use the D2000 without an amp at work.

Could you also let me know which amps you have used as I am still in the process of picking one for my home.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythrilfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What amp do you have?

Also, I am intrigued that the Sansa and your laptop sound very similar. Both of my laptop's sound is CRAP (HP and Toshiba). I am not doubting you, I just wish mine were better.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, there won't be a large improvement between an unamped D1001 and an unamped D2000. That's not to say the D2000 doesn't sound "fine" without an amp, just to say that you might as well stay with your D1001 if you're going unamped.

Fjrabon, do you have The D1000 and the D2000? Your sig only shows the D1000. The reason I ask is because I would really like a more detailed comparison between both unamped and amped. I am planning on amping the D2000 at home, but not at work. If the sound is similar unamped, then I can live with that at work. If amped, it is better, then I would really like to have them for home use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back