DENON D1000 RE-CABLE=90% DENON D2000
Jun 17, 2008 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44
Well I bought the D1000s months ago so they have MANY hours on them but I hated the stock cable. For those who have them know what I'm talking about first hand. It's made of this very rubbery cable, decent for the price but hell to coil up after using them.
So I said what the hell. I planned on redoing my D2000s anyway so I ordered some Mogami 2893 as well for the Denon D1000s.
So I replaced the stock cable with the Mogami and a Neutrik black and gold plug. Holy Hell!!! Many people claim a new cable changes the sound very little. Not in this case. Right off I noticed how much the treble was extended, and the mids are pulled up to right where they need to be. You ask about the bass? I dare to say it is deeper and much tighter then the stock D2000s
eek.gif

Not brain shaking as the Dt770s, but man it hits deep. At first I was a little scared to give it a crank of the volume. I didn't think these small Denons could handle the power it seems to have now. I was afraid I might blow the speakers
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

They won't blow higher end cans away but the difference is night and day.
They are 90% of the stock D2000s. As it sits now I prefer the lower end of the D1000s. I say if you are on a budget go ahead and recable your D1000s.
$15 and the D1000s really make for a killer can. (even tho stock I feel nothing in the same $ can touch them) I'll post some pics later
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wonder if the re-cable would significantly improve the D2000, let us know.

NO - that is all

Jun 18, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 44
Woah! Now I need to know how to recable my D1000...

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 44
My 2000's are recabled with Neutrik plug and quad braid silver plated copper, and it's the only way I've ever heard them. Don't know how they sound stock, but they sound REALLY good! I bought them second hand from a work buddy who is on this forum, but won't tell me his user name (Robert, you person...lol). He got them on Audiogon, and they were new at the time, with only a few hours of use, post mod. I've got about 100 hours on them now, just did the markl earpad mod, and holy hell, do they sound good. If anything, do the markl trick on the pads, and you'll really appreciate them even more - no more drivers sitting on your eardrum, and better spacial imaging.

Jun 19, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 44
Does anyone know how to recable the D1000?

Jun 19, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by neodyme60 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know how to recable the D1000?

I'd like to know, as well. Looking for some new closed models to compliment my MS-1s, something more laid-back and perhaps with some extra soundstage. HD580s and D2000s are out of my price range, so this sounds very promising.

Jun 19, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 44
You just need ot open up the cups, desolder the connection at the base of the driver, resolder the pins, and you're done! Don't forget stress relievers on the cable where they exit the phone...lots of cable movement there.

Jun 22, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #11 of 44
How can i open up the cups?

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by neodyme60 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can i open up the cups?

The Ear pads Come off just like the Dt770s. You just have to pull gently, So pinch your thumb and finger together as close to the cup as you can get. Once it comes undone you'll see how it goes on and off.
The inner felt is part of the pad so it will come off with the pad. Once it's off you have two screws and thats it. Screw those off and the driver will slip right out. Very simple to do!!!

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 44
Where can I buy the cables?

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #14 of 44
This is promising! Especially considering I can pick up a pair of D1000's locally! Now the question is... are they going to charge me the price of the D2000 for it? LOL

I might have to go see though.... I'm almost ready for a good set of higher-end cans then the KSC75, and I think these would be a nice compliment to the almost-grado sound of the KSC75's.

Tokenganjaclan, do you use an amp with your D1000's? Right now I have nothing but a HotUSB1 on it's way to me.

Jun 25, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #15 of 44
Very promising!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back