Denon D1000,MS1 or HD555?
Jan 10, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 14
Why not consider the AD700? It's within your price range. If you are getting it from Jaben you can always negotiate the bundle with Uncle Wilson, he's happy to set up something for you. And have you tried the AD700 and MS1 without an amp? I'll be surprised if they can't be driven by the A728. The A728 has far too good a sound quality for the Martini.

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 14
I don't know where you live, but if you can get a small mixer with a built in headphone amp, that will give you great amplification (at least for volume) for much less money than a conventional amp.

With regard to the phones you mentioned, I have the HD555, and would recommend it. The AD700 scythe mentioned above would also work.

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #8 of 14
I would recommend the MS-1 over the HD5x5 series. Never heard the D1000 but I think it suits your needs better.

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never heard the D1000 but I think it suits your needs better.

What a recommendation
biggrin.gif
. Hearing first is half of the value in any suggestion.

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a recommendation
biggrin.gif
. Hearing first is half of the value in any suggestion.

I think he meant the MS-1, not the D1000.

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #11 of 14
No I mean the D1000. I think it is his best choice.

Though the Sennheisers might be good with the OP's choice of music the HD5x5 series become rather boring after a while. At least to me with the HD595s which are a bit brighter than the 555s iirc.
The Alessandros are no detail monsters nor do they have the soundstage you want in instrumental music.
The D1000 is the only option left and many people like it.

redface.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I mean the D1000. I think it is his best choice.

Though the Sennheisers might be good with the OP's choice of music the HD5x5 series become rather boring after a while. At least to me with the HD595s which are a bit brighter than the 555s iirc.
The Alessandros are no detail monsters nor do they have the soundstage you want in instrumental music.
The D1000 is the only option left and many people like it.

redface.gif

Uh, neither are the D1001 detail monsters. As far as details go the MS1 is more revealing than the D1001, or any other closed back at the <$200 price range.

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #13 of 14
I happen to own a pair of D1000 and if memory serves me right I was one of the first to mention those cans on head-fi when they first hit the street many bottles of beers ago. Clinical and punchy they are, and their power handling ability is the best I have owned. However, they need good, clean power with sufficient current support. They distort easily when used with an opamp only headamp, and feel more at home with a transistor based output stage. They are also cold sounding, for use of a better therm. I use them mainly for when I need bass depth and slam. That's one area where they really feel in their elements.

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 14
I'm not sure I can agree 100% with what Herandu said. The opamp-based headamp built into my Marantz CD5001 (same opamp as the Grado amp- it's one that can provide plenty of current) drives my D1001 very, very cleanly to high levels without breaking a sweat. And since I can make a direct comparison with my SR80 I can say unequivocally that the Denon is MORE sensitive than the Grado. I had a PDCP once (gave it to my daughter recently) that couldn't even drive the Grado without very audible clipping but could handle the Denon just fine. And the Denons sound anything but cold- they have a warm, Sennheiser-like sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back