Denon D1000 (D1001) vs. Grado Alessandro MS1
May 31, 2008 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

bobkin

New Head-Fier
Hi

I can get these for about the same price because the d1000s are on sale here and the alessandros have free worldwide shipping. Other headphones aren't really an option.

Any thoughts on which way to go would be appreciated.

I listen to rock mainly but anything goes.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 41
The D1001 is soooo comfortable it's scary. It does not feel like you are wearing a headphone at all, hench you tend to use them more then other phones and can have longer sessions.
It may not be the best sounding phone on the market, but comfort wize it takes the backseat to nobody.
I paid 200USD for my pair locally (double US price) and I consider that money well spend. Upgrading is not in the near future.

May 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by <GNEFF> killbot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D1001 is soooo comfortable it's scary. It does not feel like you are wearing a headphone at all, hench you tend to use them more then other phones and can have longer sessions.
It may not be the best sounding phone on the market, but comfort wize it takes the backseat to nobody.
I paid 200USD for my pair locally (double US price) and I consider that money well spend. Upgrading is not in the near future.

Thanks for your help
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by thische /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you want something closed or open? If open, get the MS1.

I'm not too worried whether they're open or closed. I often get hot ears when wearing headphones so that might suggest open would be better, but i've heard that the MS1s can get quite hot anyway.

I am confused!! I've heard before as well that the denons are fantastically comfortable and that the MS1s aren't. But i'm strangely drawn to the MS1's old-school looks and i'm keen to hear that famous grado sound... Having said that, comfortable headphones will be a pleasure to use and apparently the denons sound great too.

I just don't know! :S

May 31, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 41
Who said the MS1's were uncomfortable? The Grado bowl pads are uncomfortable -- at first, until you break them in. The MS1's come with the cheap "comfies" pads which are indeed comfortable. A lot of people upgrade to HD414 pads anyway.

May 31, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 41
What kind of sound do you like? I can't speak for the Denons, but the Alessandros are very bright. If you want to go Grado, get an SR60 or SR80, much less analytical while still being detailed. I think the Alessandros give that studio monitor sense of detail, but aren't enjoyable to listen to.

May 31, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 41
The D1001s are the most comfortable phones I own, and the SQ is awesome. I have a set of SR-80s with brand new bowls that I can hardly stand for more than a few minutes because the foam is uncomfortable and they're too bright for me. I'll probably be selling them soon...

Jun 1, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of sound do you like? I can't speak for the Denons, but the Alessandros are very bright. If you want to go Grado, get an SR60 or SR80, much less analytical while still being detailed. I think the Alessandros give that studio monitor sense of detail, but aren't enjoyable to listen to.

I actually like quite a mellow sound but i do want detail. I can't go for Grados because I live in NZ and purchasing them here is far too expensive (whereas the alessandros offer free shipping from the States).

Jun 1, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #10 of 41
I have the Denon 1000s and Grado SR60s. Based on my reading about the MS1s and extrapolation from my 60s, I would recommend the Alessandros. I find the comfies very comfortable. I also bought a pair of bowls and tried them out after washing them as recommended by many. I prefer the comfies. The Denons are comfortable, but not nearly as comfortable as my AT AD900s. I sweat inside the Denons. They also don't block out much sound, though they don't leak much out.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend you go with the MS1s.

Mooch

Jun 1, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 41
That's the kind of thing i was hoping for, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
Out of interest, can someone tell me how long the MS1 cord is? I'm presuming it's the same length as that of the grado sr60s. It doesn't really matter either way, just wondering

Jun 1, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Denon 1000s and Grado SR60s. Based on my reading about the MS1s and extrapolation from my 60s, I would recommend the Alessandros. I find the comfies very comfortable. I also bought a pair of bowls and tried them out after washing them as recommended by many. I prefer the comfies. The Denons are comfortable, but not nearly as comfortable as my AT AD900s. I sweat inside the Denons. They also don't block out much sound, though they don't leak much out.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend you go with the MS1s.

Mooch

Also, do you find you sweat in the comfies?

Jun 1, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually like quite a mellow sound but i do want detail. I can't go for Grados because I live in NZ and purchasing them here is far too expensive (whereas the alessandros offer free shipping from the States).

The MS1 is such a harsh headphone. Probably as far from relaxed listening as you could ever get. Grados are definitely 'in your head', but at least you can kick back and not feel completely fatigued. After I first had the MS1 I thought the Grado sound just wasn't for me, then I listened to real Grados. And I'm very happy I gave them a second chance.

It sucks that people outside the US have to pay crazy prices for Grados.

Jun 1, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif
Out of interest, can someone tell me how long the MS1 cord is? I'm presuming it's the same length as that of the grado sr60s. It doesn't really matter either way, just wondering

It's about 8 foot? Can't remember. It wasn't 1.5 or 3 metres, but somewhere inbetween.

Jun 1, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

They're about 155 cm from plug to the y-split.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back