Denon D100 vs. AT ES7 vs. Equation Audio RP-21
Jan 9, 2008 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Speedemonv12

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm coming from the Audio Technica A700's, and need something more portable, these are the ones that I would like to choose from. What do you guys think ?

I listen to all types of music, like to mix it up. But I do spend a fair amount of time in the Trance world, so I like a little bit of bass. What do you think would be best for me?

Thanks, any suggestions are appreciated.

P.S. none of these will be worse than the A700's will they? as far as sound quality goes?

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 21
I have a similar thread to this, just started it a couple of days back.. I was recommended the D1000s, but with an amp. I have tried the ES7s and the D1000s, but not the RP-21s. I do have to say I vastly prefer the Denons over the ATs

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 21
Quick bump. I'd like to know aswell, how does the D1001(or D1000?) compare to the es7 in terms on SQ? Anyone?

Nov 3, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 21
Most people seem to prefer the D1001's SQ over the ES7, but the ES7's isolation and looks over the D1001. Having never heard the ES7, I'd rather not give a detailed comparison.

The D1001s are bass heavy, but in a good way, I think. That works for the OP's music. However, I wouldn't use them as portables for two reasons: First, they don't block noise much. They'll block out office chatter and render one incommunicado indoors; but they don't do much for traffic and construction and bus noises and such. Second, they're...not pretty. Wearer looks like...Leia. Not that Leia wasn't hot, but it doesn't work for most of us mere mortals. Not that Leia wasn't a mortal...

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 21
i can only comment on the rp-21's

imo, they're not very portable. the cable is long and heavy, and the headphone looks humungo on your head when you wear them. i do enjoy them at home though

i'm thinking about getting a pair of es7's for a portable can. i find iem's to be uncomfortable (not comfort-wise but feeling-wise if you know what i mean)

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #9 of 21
I have heard both the D1000/1 and ES7.
I'd take the ES7 over the D1001 any day.

The ES7 has sparkly highs, aggressive mids and very punchy hard hitting bass. Oh soo fun...
I found the D1000/1 to be smoother sounding and boring.
ES7 is really uncomfortable for more than 2 hours or so of use; D1000/1 is damn comfy.

I love my ES7.
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dammit! Stop it! I'm trying to be happy with what I have!
mad.gif

not until you change your source and amping....get that sorted out first
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #14 of 21
I'm in the same situation as the OP.
I'm looking for some closed cans in this price range and after a bit of research have come to either the Maudio Q40s, the AT ES7s or now the Denon D1001s.

I listen to mostly heavier music; post hardcore to black metal, melodic death metal to stoner rock, metalcore to Mozart and a few in between.

I don't need perfect isolation but it'd be nice. I'd be listening to these most of the time through laptop (and bantamDAC) but also sometimes with an ipod classic (with a yet to be purchased headphone amp [which is open to suggestion too].) Portability isn't priority though.

From what I can understand -
Q40s: are very accurate but not as 'fun'. Which I interpret as great for instrumental music but not so much for metal.
ES7s: pretty good all round for their price.
D1001: a tad bit better then the ES7s.

I can get the ES7s the cheapest at around AU$85, the Q40s and the D1001s for AU$150+.

Any advice?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry if I shouldn't made a new thread, just thought it'd help the OP with their decision too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back