Denon D-7000 lost bass after two years in storage...
Oct 2, 2023 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hernree

New Head-Fier
I moved into a house a few years ago. I ended up loosing my D-7000 during the move. I recently found them in some unpacked boxes. I noticed they are lacking at least 60% of their bass. Is this possible for the bass to decline after a long stretch of inactivity? I never believed in burn in. I am wondering if that could spruce things back up? I have been using Hifiman sundara in the Denon's place. So I was expecting the bass to blow the sundara's out the water. But they are a shadow of their former self.

Oct 2, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 10
Has something else changed in your setup that you might have overlooked?

Oct 2, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 10
I use the same setup. I have a matrix amp. Leading into a schitt bifrost. Gain was higher on the Sundara. So I lowered it one level for the D7000. Because the Matrix high gain made the Denons too sibilant. Neither gain selection affected the bass.

Oct 2, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 10
could it be the pads being affected by the environment it was stored in? Are they as fresh as they once were?
That was my first though. I actually replaced my pads and headband shortly after moving. And I don't remember if the new pads had reduced the bass. In comparison to the older ones. These new pads give my ear a little bit of space between the driver. As opposed to the older stock pads.

Attachments

• 20231002_190817.jpg
    20231002_190817.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Oct 2, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 10
Are you able to EQ some bass as a test?

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 10
I moved into a house a few years ago. I ended up loosing my D-7000 during the move. I recently found them in some unpacked boxes. I noticed they are lacking at least 60% of their bass. Is this possible for the bass to decline after a long stretch of inactivity? I never believed in burn in. I am wondering if that could spruce things back up? I have been using Hifiman sundara in the Denon's place. So I was expecting the bass to blow the sundara's out the water. But they are a shadow of their former self.
I've only experienced a headphone losing bass after lack of use with my DT 480, but it gains it back once it's used for a bit. It only takes a week for it to happen on those, then I have to run them in again to get it going. But that's a behavior I haven't experienced on any other headphone, so don't think it's likely the culprit on the D7000. But if it's experiencing something similar, just playing music on them a little on the loud side for a bit should get them going. It could just be getting used to the Sundara's bass or the Sundara gained some bass with pad wear, etc.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #10 of 10

That was my first though. I actually replaced my pads and headband shortly after moving. And I don't remember if the new pads had reduced the bass. In comparison to the older ones. These new pads give my ear a little bit of space between the driver. As opposed to the older stock pads.
Well then everything is clear, you probably used non-original pads. I tried a bunch of different pads, none of them returned me original sound. I had to make the pads myself, using parts from original pads

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back