Denon C710 - Harshness on 'S' sounds
Jan 11, 2010 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

KGW

Head-Fier
Since upgrading from the Denon C551 to the C710, I've noticed a sharpness or harshness on 'S' sounds when listening to certain vocalists. In particular, one of my favourites - Bjork. Is this "sibilance"?

I can't remember if this happened with the C551 earphones as well, but it certainly wasn't something I noticed at the time.

Is there anything that can be done to reduce or eradicate this and has anyone else noticed this with these earphones? My player is the S9 so I'm able to adjust the EQ if that can reduce it at all.

I'm thinking about possibly changing the earphones for some others, as it's rather irritating it happens on two of my favourite albums, although I do love everything else about them.

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 22
frown.gif

I have had them for at least 3 months now, possibly more. So I expect they are fully burned in. Certainly they've had many many hours usage.

It only really occurs on the Bjork albums. Luckily most of the music I listen to is instrumental - techno, electronica, house - so it's not a huge issue. However I might quite like to give another pair a shot anyway.

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 22
Sorry to up this but does anyone have any advice for reducing sibilance? Is it possible at all? Do particular sets of tips help reduce it?

It's the only negative to these otherwise great earphones.

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by KGW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since upgrading from the Denon C551 to the C710, I've noticed a sharpness or harshness on 'S' sounds when listening to certain vocalists. In particular, one of my favourites - Bjork. Is this "sibilance"?

I can't remember if this happened with the C551 earphones as well, but it certainly wasn't something I noticed at the time.

Is there anything that can be done to reduce or eradicate this and has anyone else noticed this with these earphones? My player is the S9 so I'm able to adjust the EQ if that can reduce it at all.

I'm thinking about possibly changing the earphones for some others, as it's rather irritating it happens on two of my favourite albums, although I do love everything else about them.

My C551s had terrible sibilance, the 710s weren't my cup of tea either. I'm just not a big fan of Denon in-ears, unfortunately I jumped on a dirt cheap deal for a C551 when i was just starting out. Suffice it to say, the highs were terribly harsh even after burn in. I managed to used Sony Hybrid tips, and even fit the Klipsch Ear Gel tips on the nozzles with some patience.

For the money, you can get better IMO. The upside to the Denon's was solid build quality. Strain relief was robust, the housing was well-crafted, and these things are built to last.

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucrags84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My C551s had terrible sibilance, the 710s weren't my cup of tea either. I'm just not a big fan of Denon in-ears, unfortunately I jumped on a dirt cheap deal for a C551 when i was just starting out. Suffice it to say, the highs were terribly harsh even after burn in. I managed to used Sony Hybrid tips, and even fit the Klipsch Ear Gel tips on the nozzles with some patience.

For the money, you can get better IMO. The upside to the Denon's was solid build quality. Strain relief was robust, the housing was well-crafted, and these things are built to last.

Hmm... what would you suggest as good alternatives?

I do like these but of course once you get it into your head that something else might be better it's difficult to let go of that thought until you've bought some new earphones and satisfied your curiosity.

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Sorry to up this but does anyone have any advice for reducing sibilance? Is it possible at all? Do particular sets of tips help reduce it?

It's the only negative to these otherwise great earphones.

I've always found Sony hybrids help dull sibilance and up the bass a little. Or you might want to try just EQing 16kHz down a little bit.

And yeah I know what you mean about sibilance with Bjork tracks. I love her, and I always use Amphibian from the Being John Malkovich soundtrack as *the* test of sibilance and soundstage on speakers/earphones. It is an incredible piece.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i found using the ety p to s adapter rather tightened them up a bit and stoped the 710 making so manyovor sensitive mistakes

Good call Mark...

I had similar success with the UE equivalent (although by the nature of the beast, impedance adapters do drop the volume acheviable from the source..)

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #11 of 22
Whilst I appreciate the advice, I won't be doing anything to customise them, or anything that requires greater knowledge than what I have of this stuff.

I'll probably get a different set of earphones. Now to decide which ones.
devil_face.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #13 of 22
Oh OK, sorry. I did a search on Google and it came up with how to make one an adapter so I assumed they weren't for sale.

Do you think this will reduce the sibilance and generally improve the sound?

It's such a minefield trying to find out info. on earphones as everyone has a different opinion (obviously!). There's no way I can really try stuff out where I am, so have to go off online reviews/opinions.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #14 of 22
I'm considering the q-Jays as they are rather cheap on Amazon at the moment. I'm also considering the UE 700

Can anyone comment on these in regards to the C710? And also are the UE 700s worth around £45 more than the q-Jays?

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Oh OK, sorry. I did a search on Google and it came up with how to make one an adapter so I assumed they weren't for sale.

Do you think this will reduce the sibilance and generally improve the sound?

It's such a minefield trying to find out info. on earphones as everyone has a different opinion (obviously!). There's no way I can really try stuff out where I am, so have to go off online reviews/opinions.

yes, i found it really helps, worth a go for the tennerish they are

Quote:

I'm considering the q-Jays as they are rather cheap on Amazon at the moment. I'm also considering the UE 700

Can anyone comment on these in regards to the C710? And also are the UE 700s worth around £45 more than the q-Jays?

heard neither but thats a bloody low price for the Q-Jays

Users who are viewing this thread

Back