Denon C700K v. Atrio M5
Sep 18, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ugh! I just got email from Amazon that my C700's just now shipped! It's been about 5 days... Now I have to wait more. I thought I'd never betray my amazing Atrio's, but I wanted to try these after all the favorable reviews. I don't even know what else I'm looking for in an earphone. Perhaps a quick grab & go. I think that the Atrio's will be mostly for travel where the extra level of isolation is necessary, & the C700's will be more for work, and everyday speed. I can't wait to compare.......

Haha your sig...

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #47 of 72
Quote:

Ugh! I just got email from Amazon that my C700's just now shipped! It's been about 5 days... Now I have to wait more. I thought I'd never betray my amazing Atrio's, but I wanted to try these after all the favorable reviews. I don't even know what else I'm looking for in an earphone. Perhaps a quick grab & go. I think that the Atrio's will be mostly for travel where the extra level of isolation is necessary, & the C700's will be more for work, and everyday speed. I can't wait to compare.......

Let me know how it goes with the Denons. I have PK1s as my "other" pair (for walking, but I use them amped), and really, really like their sound. So I am holding off on the Denons. Might invest the cash in a new 160GB iPod Classic instead. But would be interested in a true M5 fan's take on the Denons.

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #48 of 72
Quote:

I think headphones are a lot like clothes - you wear what you're in the mood for at the time.

Or was it, earphones are a lot like Lays potato chips, "you can't eat just one..."

Sep 18, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #49 of 72
when anyone is trying the Denons be sure to aim the tip up (towards the sky) and into the ear slightly as opposed to straight in. At leaset thats what seems to work for me. I was playing around with them today and found this made a huge difference in isolation and bass.

Enjoy the phones when you receive them!

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #50 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha your sig...

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out
tongue.gif
... guess that needs updating soon.

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #51 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me know how it goes with the Denons. I have PK1s as my "other" pair (for walking, but I use them amped), and really, really like their sound. So I am holding off on the Denons. Might invest the cash in a new 160GB iPod Classic instead. But would be interested in a true M5 fan's take on the Denons.

Here is my comparison for you: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...73#post3295573
...page 8, post 158.

Hope that helps. I'm sure enjoying them.

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #52 of 72
Hey, I just got the Denon C700 series. I must say that they look nice and sharp. They have great clarity, but I need much more bass depth than these give as far as bass. I mean (and this is just for my personal test) these would be great if I had spent 50 bucks on them, but for 150 bucks, this just doesn't do it for me.

Any other suggestions as to what could fulfill my bass needs?

Sep 28, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #53 of 72
i have been looking for a good canalphone to complement my atrios for shorter trips where i do not need extreme isolation nor the time it takes to get them in. i will go and pick them up tomorrow and do a small write up on how they sound. i think i will be impressed but i am quite sure that if they are to be anywhere as good as the atrio m5, i may find myself smoking a different cigar.

again as always, the m5 has been my favourite iem and i have used all the way up to e500 extensively but mostly the um2.

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkybass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I just got the Denon C700 series. I must say that they look nice and sharp. They have great clarity, but I need much more bass depth than these give as far as bass. I mean (and this is just for my personal test) these would be great if I had spent 50 bucks on them, but for 150 bucks, this just doesn't do it for me.

Shure SE500's or UE11's are about all that is left.

Well, maybe the Super.fi 5 EB but they need 200 hours of burn-in and from what people post it would seem over half of the buyers sell them off. The UM2 reports sound like they are described as bassy. And the Q-jays are reported to have good bass, but so are the SE310's and the Denon have more base than the SE310. I've never heard any of the above except the SE500's that I have, so buy those...

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #55 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkybass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have great clarity, but I need much more bass depth than these give as far as bass. I mean (and this is just for my personal test) these would be great if I had spent 50 bucks on them, but for 150 bucks, this just doesn't do it for me.

I would definetly suggest playing around with your seal or checking your source's eq. I find unless the seal is perfect with most iem's, the bass goes out the window. With the proper seal, to my ears the bass on the c700 is quite adequate ...and that is coming from someone who has 2x12 inch subs in his car and listens to ALOT of bass heavy music.

You can always try the m5 but most say the bass tightness and depth is fairly comparable. I think the next step up is going to cost alot more than either the m5 or the c700.

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #56 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have been looking for a good canalphone to complement my atrios for shorter trips where i do not need extreme isolation nor the time it takes to get them in. i will go and pick them up tomorrow and do a small write up on how they sound. i think i will be impressed but i am quite sure that if they are to be anywhere as good as the atrio m5, i may find myself smoking a different cigar.

again as always, the m5 has been my favourite iem and i have used all the way up to e500 extensively but mostly the um2.

I think you will like them. They are very similar to the M5, but with slightly wider soundstage, nicer mids & highs. I perceive a tiny bit more detail in the two upper ranges, but that's my ears. They do this without being sibilant. I find them to be very natural and musical still, quite like the M5.

I also think that for a quick grab-n-go canal phone like you are looking for, you can't do any better. The cord is tangle free... you just wrap it around your dap, and it just falls down without tangles, very nice. They're thicker than on the M5 so they are probably more robust for being out and about. The fact that the housings are aluminum will help for durability over the Atrio too. They feel the biz in hand.......

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #58 of 72
I'm choosing between the atrios and c700s right now, it seems most people are giving a slight nod to the denons. If isolation isn't an issue is it safe to say the denons are a better choice?

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #59 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by RTbar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm choosing between the atrios and c700s right now, it seems most people are giving a slight nod to the denons. If isolation isn't an issue is it safe to say the denons are a better choice?

Better isn't the right word. Some favor the Denons over the Atrios, some feel the opposite. I have both, and while I do like the Denons clearer mids and highs, there is something about the overall warmth of the Atrios that draw me back. So it's a very tough call between the two. I keep vacillating on it, but have decided to keep them both. I am going to try the Shure orange foamies on the Denons, because the silicone tips, no matter what size I try, aren't as comfy as the Shure olives on the Atrios.

As I noted another related thread, my preference right now, if I can use an amp, is the Yuin PK1s, which deliver the exact sound and comfort I want from earphones (they are expensive ear buds, not IEMs). Again, some people find ear buds uncomfortable. And if complete isolation is needed (planes, subways), I will use the Atrios since they deliver the best seal for me.

While this thread isn't about the PK1s, if you are interested, Kramer says it all for me...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...12&postcount=3

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better isn't the right word. Some favor the Denons over the Atrios, some feel the opposite. I have both, and while I do like the Denons clearer mids and highs, there is something about the overall warmth of the Atrios that draw me back. So it's a very tough call between the two. I keep vacillating on it, but have decided to keep them both. I am going to try the Shure orange foamies on the Denons, because the silicone tips, no matter what size I try, aren't as comfy as the Shure olives on the Atrios.

As I noted another related thread, my preference right now, if I can use an amp, is the Yuin PK1s, which deliver the exact sound and comfort I want from earphones (they are expensive ear buds, not IEMs). Again, some people find ear buds uncomfortable. And if complete isolation is needed (planes, subways), I will use the Atrios since they deliver the best seal for me.

While this thread isn't about the PK1s, if you are interested, Kramer says it all for me...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...12&postcount=3

What about unamped use? Would you still reccomend the PK1s along side the atrios and denons? I don't intend to use an amp, as i'll be using them with my archos 604 which is big enough as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back