Denon AHD2000 Replacement
May 20, 2020 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nmxdaven

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm looking for a pair of 2000's. Have a post up, but it looks like it will be tough to do.

For some reason, the d2000's are probably my favorite full size headphones of all time. Something about them just agree with me.

Is there anything out there that would be a pretty good replacement if I cant find a pair?

May 20, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 7
Other than the Fostex models, TH-610, TH900 and the Foxtex Massdrop TH-X00 variants I cannot think of a pair that sounds similar to the old Denon/Fostex line of headphones.
Most consider the Massdrop variants to be superior to the D2000/5000s, more cohesive, mids are less recessed and the treble is better behaved.
The current Denon line could be something to consider, but they lack that particular old Denon/Fostex sound, that deep low end and bright/colder high mids/low treble.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 7
I would shoot for the th900 fostex, th610 since massdrop variants sound nothing like the d2000. I was hoping for a big upgrade if you take all the hype they produced only to be let down by the sound. As a matter a fact tx00 is one of the worst headphones I've tried, still can't wrap my head around the tx popularity.

May 20, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 7
Ive heard from few people that the sound signature of TH-X00 Ebony is (supposedly) closest to D2000 of all Fostex-variants, I remember Zeos Reviews stating in his review something like "if you own D2000 you dont need the Ebony" but I dont completely trust his ears... Also one possibility is that you could try "downgrade modding" D5000 to D2000 (they use the same drivers, only earcups and dampening materials are different) but that might be too much of a hassle and prices for used D5000´s vary a lot.

Its indeed really sad that D2K is not being made anymore, its also one of my all time favourites and possibly my favourite closed back. :frowning2: I prefer its overall sound over D5K. Mine is still working fine even if its probably nearly ten years old (bought it used) but it has externally seen its best days... I dont know what to do when it finally decides to break some day. :cry:

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 7
That's a tough one.

The D2000's were like a colder version of the D5000. I had a pair of D600 which had a similar timbre to the D2000's but the resolution wasn't as good. The THX00 is probably the the nearest you'll get as it's not quite as lush as the D5000 and D7000, bit leaner snappier like the D2000 was but with a slightly better FR and simular resolve. The Ebony version is closer to the D5000 in my opinion. There was a certain magic to the original D2K, D5K and D7K that I feel can't be had.

It reminds me of trying to get that old school Audeze sound, we keep chasing it and try to get as close as possible.

May 20, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 7
This thread just remind me about my experience with D7000. Heard it first time at 2011, and just a week ago I able to re-listen to it. Sound hella great as ever for close back headphone. Their original msrp hold really good value even in today's technology.

Sorry, can't help much. My suggestion if possible to stretch the budget, go to second hand D7000 (quick check in hifishark, looks like some people selling them)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back