Denon AHD1001K question
Mar 27, 2009 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Mintz

Head-Fier
I recently found these forums and have made a few posts asking about recommendations for headphones that work well unamped on an ipod and that have good passive noise isolation. I almost ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 II because a bunch of people here recommended them. I decided to do a little more research and came across the Denon AHD1001K and was intrigued. How do these fair against the the HD25-1's? I was looking for something that has strong bass because I listen to a lot of hip hop. The only negative that I have heard about the HD25-1's is that they are uncomfortable and I wear my headphones for extended periods of time so ideally I wanted a comfortable pair. Any advice would be appreciated!

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 16
I don't have a HD25 to compare to, but I do have the D1001's, and can comment on its sound... the bass is superb, and both extends and hits very well. The highs don't sparkle like the AKG's or anything but is still sufficient and is detailed enough. The mids can be a bit weak and may seem bit veiled but the burn in has helped immensely with this and I find it listenable to (this may not be fair on the behalf of D1001 as my main 'phone is the SE530, probably best mids out there). The soundstage is actually alright considering these are technically closed cans (doesn't sound like it though), and gives you that hollow/airy feedback that some may or may not enjoy. From what I hear the comfort should be miles ahead of the HD25, as these are definitely one of the most comfortable cans in existence today... they clamp a bit initially but breaking in the band helps. As for your music, they will definitely match up well with Hip Hop.

And of course, these are cheaper than the HD25's. In all I don't think you can go wrong with D1001.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: I should also mention that the D1001 do not isolate too well, which may or may not be a factor to you. They don't leak overly outwards but they definitely let a lot of noise in. In comparison the HD25 is supposed to be great for isolation... so factor that in also.

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have a HD25 to compare to, but I do have the D1001's, and can comment on its sound... the bass is superb, and both extends and hits very well. The highs don't sparkle like the AKG's or anything but is still sufficient and is detailed enough. The mids can be a bit weak and may seem bit veiled but the burn in has helped immensely with this and I find it listenable to (this may not be fair on the behalf of D1001 as my main 'phone is the SE530, probably best mids out there). The soundstage is actually alright considering these are technically closed cans (doesn't sound like it though), and gives you that hollow/airy feedback that some may or may not enjoy. From what I hear the comfort should be miles ahead of the HD25, as these are definitely one of the most comfortable cans in existence today... they clamp a bit initially but breaking in the band helps. As for your music, they will definitely match up well with Hip Hop.

And of course, these are cheaper than the HD25's. In all I don't think you can go wrong with D1001.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice summary. I have also heard from many that you can't go wrong with those Denons for the price.
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 16
Cool, thanks a lot for the replies. I will look more into these Denon's. I think I might get them over the Sennheisers. I only have 2 other questions for K 19 since he owns a pair. Can be driven well by an Ipod? And I know you said the bass is superb, and I don't really consider myself a basshead, but I do like a good amount of bass when listening to hip hop. My current headphones are sony MDR V300, which I don't really like, but I enjoy the bass. I am sure the Denons will definitely outperform my crappy MDR V300's. I am just a bit nervous about spending $130-150 on these and finding out they don't have the amount of bass I like. I know YOU can't determine how much base I like, but do you listen to hip hop at all with these headphones and feel they perform well? Because that is almost all I listen to.

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 16
I don't own both anymore, sadly. I've moved on to D2000. However, my old D1001s are still in my flat (they just don't belong to me anymore). And I do indeed have HD25. Let the comparisons begin!

HD25 is considerably more defined, with cleaner, tighter bass. You won't miss the bass with these. And they isolate like crazy, which might be a huge plus over D1001. And I don't find them to be very uncomfortable, actually. Even with the pleather pads, after about an hour and a half, I have to re-adjust them a bit, but that solves the problem. And I wear glasses! The downsides to HD25 are twofold: They're ugly little things and they're relatively expensive. You can get better SQ for the $200 they go for, but they're a great buy if you want the entire package: SQ, isolation, durability, relatively small size.

Now, D1001. They're darker in general, more mellow. More laid back than HD25. Everything is looser, flabbier, but hey they're $80. These are fun sounding cans...Bose with more detail, without the pricetag. Much wider soundstage than HD25. Certainly more comfy too.

Which would I buy if I were you? D1001, unless you plan to listen to music in noisy places.

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mintz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, thanks a lot for the replies. I will look more into these Denon's. I think I might get them over the Sennheisers. I only have 2 other questions for K 19 since he owns a pair. Can be driven well by an Ipod? And I know you said the bass is superb, and I don't really consider myself a basshead, but I do like a good amount of bass when listening to hip hop. My current headphones are sony MDR V300, which I don't really like, but I enjoy the bass. I am sure the Denons will definitely outperform my crappy MDR V300's. I am just a bit nervous about spending $130-150 on these and finding out they don't have the amount of bass I like. I know YOU can't determine how much base I like, but do you listen to hip hop at all with these headphones and feel they perform well? Because that is almost all I listen to.

Well, they can certainly be driven by only an Ipod and I believe was designed and meant to be used that way... the slight bassy-ness of the 1001's means that even if you do plan to amp it, you must be very selective with the choice (as cheaper amps that add more bass like E3 or T4 may make it unbearable). Since its an Ipod the bass of the D1001 will be a good match and make the otherwise flat sounding player much more exciting for your tastes. On my 1st gen touch, I'm at about half way volume and it's more than enough loud for me (find it even better sounding on my s639's though)

As for the second question, yup, I definitely feel that they perform well with Hip Hop. I do have a decent rap collection, mostly comprised of late 80's to late 90's stuff (so stuff like Tribe Called Quest, LL, Dr Dre, 2pac, Biggie, etc), and they all sound fantastic with it. What I find cool about the D1001's is that it makes the bass hard and boomy with the songs that are supposed to have that sort of bass (like hip hop), but make it tight and controlled with the songs that shouldn't have any boomy stuff (like RnB, Pop, etc)... whereas cheaper 'phones will make it boomy with everything. I'm fairly sure you will be satisfied with the bass on the 1001, and if you are not, then you're a MAJOR basshead, I can say that much.
tongue_smile.gif

Hope you will enjoy your purchase, whatever you choose.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 16
Thank you both for the replies. After reading them both I am kinda in a toss up between the Sennheiser and the Denon. I do want isolation, because I take the subway to and from work which is pretty loud, it sounds as if the Sennheiser has better isolation which makes me want these. However, I read a review of them on headroom that if you get a pair you should use a headphone amp. This will be my first purchase of a pair of headphones that is over $30, so I didn't really want to spend $200 on the Sennheiser and then need to buy a headphone amp to have them work properly, which makes me want the Denon. Basically it comes down to less isolation for the Denon vs. less performance without an amp for the Sennheiser. Sorry for asking so many questions, but K 19 have you used your Denons in a noisy environment, if so, how do they perform. And Jonathanjong, have you tried the Sennheisers with a portable device (an Ipod preferably) unamped, if so, how do they perform. Thanks again! I really appreciate the help.

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mintz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for asking so many questions, but K 19 have you used your Denons in a noisy environment, if so, how do they perform.

I've tried the Denons on the bus once, and needless to say, I haven't since. It's definitely not recommended for isolation from places like subway or bus since it won't be good enough. But it's the same reason why these have great soundstage... typically, bigger soundstage = worse isolation and visa versa, unfortunately.

Mar 28, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #11 of 16
Well, I think I am going to research these two a little more. I am definitely going to pick one of these two. Thanks again Jonathanjong & K 19! You both have been extremely helpful!

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 16
Denon AH-D1001K Stereo Headphone - Buy.com $82 shipped for the Denons. I like them very much. The bass without an amp isn't a lot, but the rest of the spectrum is still just as good. As was mentioned before, comfort is one of the strong points. I do get fatigue on my ears after an hour or so though. Just a comment on durability. Someone sat on these phones and the left earpiece came disconnected from the rest of the unit. I was able to screw it back in and since the connection is metal reinforced, it has stayed for months.

Mar 28, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass on D1001 is insufficient without the E3? Hmm.

Yeah, I guess it is personal preference, but I thought that D1001 + E3 sounded like ass. Very very bloaty.

I got a T4 on the way but not sure how the D1001 will handle that one... looking for refinement mainly, but I didn't get it for the D1001 anyway (got it for IEM's, as its advertised to be).

Oh, and could you give a short summary on the sonic differences between D1001 and 2000? If I upgrade my cans to the next level for sure I'm going for the Denons. I know there are other reviews out there but more personal opinions the better.
smily_headphones1.gif
(and sorry in advance OP for going slightly OT).

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass on D1001 is insufficient without the E3? Hmm.

I wouldn't say insufficient, but not a whole lot of impact

Users who are viewing this thread

Back