Denon AHD1001:A Beginners Review
Mar 10, 2009 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

fghtffyrobesity

100+ Head-Fier
Before I start, I would just like a put a disclaimer saying that these are my first pair of headphones that cost more than $20 and I do not have any other experience as to if they sound better, worse or the same as any other headphone. All statements are based off just these headphones.

With that, lets start!
L3000.gif

Initial Thoughts
When I first tried on the Denon's, I was unimpressed. They really didn't sound any different that the Skullcandy Ink'd earbuds that I had before. I would quite worried that there wouldn't be any change in them but then remembered the burn in, so I plugged them in the radio and let them burn in until I got home from school.

When I got back from school, I burned a CD of white noise and let that run through them while I was at work and continued letting them run until the next morning. It wasn't until about 30 hours of burn in that I noticed any difference. I am now at about 75 hours of burn in and that is what the rest of the review will be based off of.

For more info on my initial thoughts, read this thread

Comfort
If you have read anything on the D1001's, I'm sure that comfort is one of the things that you have heard is unbeatable. I must say, this is totally true. These things feel GREAT. The headband is very soft and you don't notice is unless you think about it. The ear pads are very comfortable as well. They are advertised as "on ear" headphones, but with larger than normal ears they are 95% circumaural for me (my ear lobes are covered just a tiny bit). For anyone with normal sized ears these will easily cover them.

My only complaint about the comfort is the cups. The seem somewhat shallow and my ears stick out a bit more than normal and push up against the wall. Its not really a bother, but after an hour and a half you start to notice and have to take them off for a few minutes. But that's just my ears and I'm sure many will be unaffected by this

Bass
With my previous headphones being Skullcandy, I was used to quite a bit of bass. The one thing I am disappointed with in the D1001's is the lack in bass. Although it is quite clear, there isn't a large amount of it. As many have described, the bass is quite 'punchy'. When plugged into a computer (for portable use I am using an iPod) I noticed quite a bit of difference in the amount of bass but still not quite as much as I was hoping for. I have a FiiO E5 amp being shipping in the mail and am hoping that it will improve it even more. The bass is probably enough for others, but just not for me. I guess I'm just a basshead
atsmile.gif

EDIT: I wasn't meaning the say that the skullcandy's bass was better, there was just more of it. It also depends on the song. The Jack Johnson type of bass (I think fans know what I'm talking about) is enough for me, but I downloaded a Wyclef Jean album and the bass on that isn't quite the same. As for the amount of bass I like, I'm one of those people who have their bass up obnoxiously loud and you can hear at a stop light when driving (but don't worry, I keep it at a safe level
wink.gif
)
EDIT 2: After about 100 hours the bass got a lot stronger

Mids and Treble
I sadly can't really say much for this. I haven't quite had my ears trained to where I can say "Oh, this mids are recessed!" or "The treble is too strong". All I can say is that they seem fine to me the way they are

Details
After about 50 hours of burn in, I noticed a ton of details I never even heard before. In a Jack Johnson song (for some reason I am blanking on it right now) I heard a harmony in the back that I never noticed. I also hear all kinds of shakers or little riffs I hadn't heard before.

In the song 'Untitled' by Brand New, I could easily understand the vocals where previously I had no idea what was being said (along with many other friends of mine). I also heard a whole vocal track in the song "Millstone" that I never heard before.

I played the song "Satin in a Coffin" by Modest Mouse for a friend and he noticed a chello in the beginning he never noticed before. I let him listen to a few more songs and he asked how much they were and suprisingly didn't jump at the $100 price tag and said when he gets a job he might have to pick up a pair.

All in all, the D1001's pick up many details I never heard before.

Build Quality
They seem pretty well built. A nice sold headband. The cups extend 10 clicks on each side (about 1 1/4" on each side). For my above average size head I go up about six clicks on each side. The cable seems to be pretty sturdy and the connector looks like it would survive a war. Its beastly to say the least.

Isolation and Leakage
Many things you hear from owners of the D1001's is that they don't isolate well. When there is no music playing through them, you can hear pretty much everything around you (it might block out enough sound so that you don't hear a clock tick). With volume at about 10-15% you can still hear voices (I listen to them when I am a teachers assistant for a reading class and can hear the students read word for word when they are in a reading circle). At about 25% you start to drown them out and at 50% you can't hear any voices.

As for leakage, I have them up about 25% now and when the cups have a good seal you can faintly hear the vocals and can hear a snare hit fairly well, but that is just sitting about 2 feet away. At 50% you can hear vocals very well and cymbals start coming through. As long as you listen to them at normal listening volume, you shouldn't have any complaints.

In Conclusion....
I really like these headphones. They are a huge step up from your standard Walmart headphones and I believe they are worth the price tag.

Suggested Retailers
tongue_smile.gif

I bought the Denon AHD1001's from HeadRoom for $99.99 with shipping and had them processed, shipped and received in three days. They provided me with emails whenever it went from processing to shipping and gave me a code so I could follow them when they went from place to place (which I used a little too much and checked it about 20 times a day
biggrin.gif
) HeadRoom is also an authorized Denon seller. Although I don't expect any problems with them, I know that Denon is picky about their warranties and only respect ones from authorized dealers.

I hope that this review helps.

sdc105287923577.jpg

Mar 10, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fghtffyrobesity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass
With my previous headphones being Skullcandy, I was used to quite a bit of bass. The one thing I am disappointed with in the D1001's. It is quite clear but there isn't a large amount of it. As many have described, the bass is quite 'punchy'. When plugged into a computer (for portable use I am using an iPod) I noticed quite a bit of difference in the amount of bass, but still not quite as much as I was hoping for. I have a FiiO E5 amp being shipping in the mail and am hoping that it will improve it even more. The bass is probably enough for others, but just not for me. I guess I'm just a basshead
atsmile.gif

the e5's bass boost should take care of all that

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 15
excellent review!!

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 15
I'm loving the reviews from new people like myself!

But I think I'm going to drop these from the list of headphones I'm considering buying. Maybe it's just me, but if I'm paying $100 for a pair of headphones, I'd like something better than a pair of Skullcandy's right off the bat.

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 15
Nice read up! Well, even I can't understand your disappointment over the bass. I have had a demo few days ago and they are quite good. But I have never tried Skullcandy. Have a great time ahead with your real first purchase.

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 15
Very nice review
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh and i run my D1001's via a E5, cleaned up the sound a little and the bass tightened up. Now i cant get enough of them while laying in bed just before i nod off.

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice review
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh and i run my D1001's via a E5, cleaned up the sound a little and the bass tightened up. Now i cant get enough of them while laying in bed just before i nod off.

you best not be exaggerating about the "cleaned up the sound a little and the bass tightened up." or you owe me $25.

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 15
Good review, I think you'll find the bass less disappointing after your ears get more used to how the D1001s sound, and after you get the E5.

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by as.we.proceed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you best not be exaggerating about the "cleaned up the sound a little and the bass tightened up." or you owe me $25.

Ermm... no i am not actually
smily_headphones1.gif
Owe you $25, thing called resell.
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #11 of 15
Great, thorough review. I just got my D1001's today and I'm just going to burn them in with regular usage. I'll write up a review later on after the buyer's high has worn off and the headphones are burned in properly.

For me, what makes these headphones so amazing is the amount of clarity and smoothness I get at the same time. The sound is very clear, but at the same time they're very musical and pleasant(as in, they're not overly analytical). It's just a great combination.

Unfortunately for me, I ended up paying $180 CAD for them. They were going on sale at Headroom for $90 USD, but when I calculated in the $30 shipping and money conversion, I just said screw it(because it came out to almost the same price) and ended up buying from a retail store in Toronto. Might as well help my country's economy while I'm at it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #12 of 15
I got myself a pair of these about 2 weeks ago and I am loving them. Then again, they were the first pair of headphones I bought that were over $20.
I got mine for $120 CAD shipped from Crutchfield Canada: Car Audio, LCD TV, Home Theatre, Home Speakers.

Anyways, to anyone with these headphones and the fiio e5, i'm just wondering how much of a difference it makes and if it is even worth getting.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkl.hui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyways, to anyone with these headphones and the fiio e5, i'm just wondering how much of a difference it makes and if it is even worth getting.

I'll be sure to add how much of a difference it makes once I get mine in the mail. Unfortunately it is shipping from Hong Kong so its going to take a loooooooooong time

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkl.hui /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got my E5 about two weeks ago. I don't think it is really worth the $20. I didn't notice too much of a difference in sound or bass boost with the built in EQ. If you have money to burn, go for it, but if you are on a tight budget, I wouldn't put it at the top of your list.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fghtffyrobesity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my E5 about two weeks ago. I don't think it is really worth the $20. I didn't notice too much of a difference in sound or bass boost with the built in EQ. If you have money to burn, go for it, but if you are on a tight budget, I wouldn't put it at the top of your list.

hmm, weird. To me the bass boost is pretty significant. Not obnoxious, by any means, but definitely more than noticeable. For instance, I find the bass on SR60s and AD700's with the bass boost on to be about the same as D1001s with the bass boost off. And D1001s are generally considered to be bass heavy phones, while the other two are light in the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back