Denon AH-D750 - need some reviews.
Dec 26, 2008 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

charliex

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a chance to get a near mint pair of these older Denons (AH-D750) and have tried googling reviews with little success. Anyone have or had these and any reviews would be appreciated.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 10
I had a pair before. I liked them. In fact the only reason I went with Audio Technica was at the time, Denon had discontinued D750, 550. They released the d2000 after I got my ADs.

The D750 had nice bass, the highs were fine. Isolation was great IMO, was not leak proof though. The mids a little recessed. But overall, I thought they were fun. Compared to your other headphones in your sig, I have no idea. You may not think they are that awesome, but probably will enjoy them at least. Have fun.

Dec 27, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a pair before. I liked them. In fact the only reason I went with Audio Technica was at the time, Denon had discontinued D750, 550. They released the d2000 after I got my ADs.

The D750 had nice bass, the highs were fine. Isolation was great IMO, was not leak proof though. The mids a little recessed. But overall, I thought they were fun. Compared to your other headphones in your sig, I have no idea. You may not think they are that awesome, but probably will enjoy them at least. Have fun.

Thanks - anyone else have any experience with these Denons ?

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #4 of 10
bump - anyone?

May 29, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #6 of 10
I just purchased this pair of Denon AH-D750 headphones used on eBay for $65+$10s/h. The condition was almost new. The sound totally BLEW AWAY my old Denon AH-D550 headphones! Sure beats wasting money on a $300+ pair of Beats or Bose headphones!

May 8, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 10
Listening to them now. Clean and even. Sure makes you realize how unbalanced (and erratic) headphone FR response has gotten over the last 15 years. And they probably cost about $80 at the time.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 10
I just found an old beaten up pair in a junk pile at someone's apartment. They were offered to me for free and I said sure, thinking they'd be a piece of junk that I'd take home, listen to once, and throw in a drawer or toss out.

What the hell? These sound great.

I'm actually shocked. Perhaps it's because my expectations were low, but these vastly exceeded them. I expected typical 1990s bloated, bassy consumer headphones. These are legitimate audiophile headphones. These absolutely compete in the mid-fi range, even today.

They're balanced, they're natural, they have impactful bass without it being overpowering, and they're pretty fun. Perhaps the mids are slightly recessed, and they don't have the highest resolution, but the overall sound signature is very enjoyable. It's way too early to say where I'd place them in the rankings of my collection, but I already like them more than both my M50 and A900.

I just wish I could get new ear pads, as these things are torn to shreds and it doesn't appear that Denon sells replacements.

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 10
I’m guessing not a lot of people own these headphones.

Anyone know where I can get replacement pads?

I thought I read somewhere that it will fit pads for the Sony 7506 but I’m not sure, and even if it does, what 7506 pads should I get?

Apr 15, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #10 of 10
I’m guessing not a lot of people own these headphones.

Anyone know where I can get replacement pads?

I thought I read somewhere that it will fit pads for the Sony 7506 but I’m not sure, and even if it does, what 7506 pads should I get?

I already have an update on this, if anyone's curious. On a whim, I was thinking, "I wonder if my M50 pads would fit on these? They look like a pretty similar shape."

Lo and behold, it's a perfect fit!

That's surprising. By the transitive property, does that mean the entire Sony V6/7506 line and the Audio Technica M series all have interchangeable pads? Those are two hugely popular headphones series, so it would be interesting if they're compatible with each other, along with the Denon AH-D750/950, and who knows what else.

Anyways, the sound is perhaps a tad darker than the torn up stock pads I had for the D750, but I'm not sure if that's inherent to the pads or if it's just because they're so worn out and torn. Regardless, the headphones still sound excellent.

I was going through my collection of headphones and trying to determine what the D750 is closest to. Then it hit me. These feel like a cross between the M50 and the Koss KPH30i. That's the best way I can describe them. They have that intense, fun bassy sound of the M50, but they're less claustrophobic, are less in-your-head, and have a flatter, more balanced sound like the KPH30i.

They're like the best aspects of the KPH30i combined with the best aspects of the M50. I'm really enjoying these. Oh, and they're very comfortable. Even though I'm using the M50 pads, I find them a fair bit more comfortable than the M50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back