Denon AH-D600 Vs. Philips Fidelio X1 Vs. MrSpeakers Mad Dog
Jan 31, 2014 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SilentxStatik24

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

In my long (and tiring) journey to find my pair of endgame headphones, I have finally narrowed it down to these three cans: The Denon AH-D600, Philips Fidelio X1 and MrSpeakers Mad Dog.

I like the packaging of the Denon AH-D600 as well as the bassy signature.

The look of the Philips X1 as well as the open musical nature of the headphone is promising for my musical tastes.

The Mad Dogs are fascinating, I have never heard a Planar headphone though.

They all look great, stylish, comfortable and apparently have great sound as well, which is of course is my main reason for buying.

I mainly listen to EDM (A lot of Daft Punk), Hip-Hop, Rock and Roll, film soundtracks. I already have: Grado SR-60i, Sony XB-500. Panasonic HTF-600s. I am listing my other headphones because I want my new cans to compliment the headphones that I already have.

I am leaning towards the Denons and Philips because I only have a Fiio E11; and I don't have any more room in my budget for an amp for the Mad Dogs.

Anyways, I would love to hear all of you fellow Head-Fiers' opinions on these three headphones; thanks in advance for all your help!

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Silent.
smile.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 12
The D600 shouldn't even be considered. The Fidelio X1 utterly trashes it. There's no reason to get a closed can anyway.

The Fidelio X1 is a really easy recommendation.

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 12
I can't speak to the Phillips or MrSpeaker but you should listen to a Denon AH-D600 yourself.  Some Best Buy Magnolia stores have them to demo.  I spent a Lot of time comparing the D600 to both Sen Momentum and B&W P7 and I chose the Denon D600 hands down.  Everyone has a opinion but just go listen to them.

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 12
  I can't speak to the Phillips or MrSpeaker but you should listen to a Denon AH-D600 yourself.  Some Best Buy Magnolia stores have them to demo.  I spent a Lot of time comparing the D600 to both Sen Momentum and B&W P7 and I chose the Denon D600 hands down.  Everyone has a opinion but just go listen to them.

The D600 has a larger soundstage but that's really all it has going for it.  It lacks refinement, bass tightness, and other things.  That being said, you may be satisfied with them, but the X1 is still muuuch better (its an open can after all).

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 12
  Defintely suitable, though you may want to get a different cable for them.  A lot of people like the V-Moda cable.

I'm not a fan of coiled cables but do they improve the sound quality? I know that the stock cable has some high impedance so does the V-Moda cable alleviate those issues?

Thanks for your reply, I am actually leaning towards an open can now because my only other open can is my Grado SR-60i. I might stop in tomorrow and take a listen to them if I have the chance though.
smile.gif

The D600 has a larger soundstage but that's really all it has going for it.  It lacks refinement, bass tightness, and other things.  That being said, you may be satisfied with them, but the X1 is still muuuch better (its an open can after all).

I do want refinement and bass tightness, I don't want any more muddy bass (xb-500) so the X1 sounds great in that regard.

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #10 of 12

I'm not a fan of coiled cables but do they improve the sound quality? I know that the stock cable has some high impedance so does the V-Moda cable alleviate those issues?

Thanks for your reply, I am actually leaning towards an open can now because my only other open can is my Grado SR-60i. I might stop in tomorrow and take a listen to them if I have the chance though.
smile.gif

I do want refinement and bass tightness, I don't want any more muddy bass (xb-500) so the X1 sounds great in that regard.

http://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/ is not a coiled cable.

The D600's bass isn't as muddy as the XB500's.

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #12 of 12
Hi there!

I had the Mad Dogs - a wonderful headphone, VERY tight and smooth bass - a great, slightly warm all rounder. However, I just didn't like the feel of them on my head (which is a strange opinion, as most people love them), and recently got some X1s. I would never go back - the X1s take the tight bass and open it up to a bigger soundstage. 

In comparing the two, I'd say the X1s are Ali and the Mad Dogs are Fraser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back