Denon AH-D501 Review from a Noob
Sep 13, 2012 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

fightforfire

New Head-Fier
Hello and well I'm new =)

Okay so I know very little about audio as I just got into this interest so please excuse my mistakes and help me grow.
This is not an extensive review, just simple thoughts from me.
Sorry for the long intro but try to understand from my point of view. Thanks.

I bought these about a year ago because I needed headphones that were closed type,light and cheap since I used to go the library to study a lot.
Lol okay I still study but not at the library =)

Slight history about my audio experiences:
1. I have only listened to cheap headphones and earphones and have never thought of hearing music using better audio equipment.
2. As long I could hear music means the phones are working.
3. I had no idea what were closed and open phones and I haven't even heard of custom IEMs.
4. Sound quality didn't matter much to me,just the music.
5. I didn't really understand what were highs,lows and mids..everything was just either bass or treble.
6. Anyway I researched about some cheap phones on the net and decided to try some at Jaben.

I tried the Beyer DT231 and these Denon's. The price is roughly the same around RM300 (Malaysian Currency) which is approx 100USD.
I've also tried the AKG450 which was too bland.
At first I thought 300 for a headphone was a bit crazy. Some friends at that time bought Sony phones which cost less than 100.
PS: I knew real good audio equipment costed loads of thousands. I wasn't exposed to these things.

Comparing those two,i felt the Denon's were some what similar to the Beyer's. The differences were:

Denon's
more bass
slightly more stylish..again slightly

and the

Beyer's
better clarity 
really look cheap and simple
more sturdy

so that's why I took the Denon's as I liked bass more at that time. The Beyer's look reminded me of cheap headphones which I used to see/hear.

The AH-D501 is:
1. Light
2. Plasticky - it is so plasticky that sometimes I think just adding a bit of force will break it
3. Has bad highs - it gets distorted at high volume
4. Decent mids and lows - just ok
5. Comfortable for long usage - I can wear it for hours,it just sits on my head
6. Cheap quality - won't last u 5 years
7. A bit uncomfortable hanging at the neck - cant rotate head easily w/o knocking em
8. Very bad at gaming - I play some shooters like CS and cant always precisely tell where is the enemy lol

As a very entry level headphone, I would say it's ok. Nothing special about it. It has served its purpose.
I don't know if my current opinion will change because I've used the Denon's for sometime already and having better dreams.

Recently these past few months,my ears decided to ask for better treatment so the next upgrade for me might be the Beyer 770pro and an amp =)
Am slowly learning,not as fast as some but still progress is progress =).
Have learnt more in this past year about forums,more headphone brands, a bit on earphones,music quality,etc.
Time flies so fast lol.

Thanks for reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back