Denon AH-D5000 VS Audio Technica ATH W5000
Jul 17, 2014 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

klatu10

New Head-Fier
In the market for fairly high end over the ear headphones.
Ive narrowed it down to these two. Denon AH-D5000 and Audio Technica ATH W5000

Can anyone recommend one over the other and why?
Thanks...

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 11
  In the market for fairly high end over the ear headphones.
Ive narrowed it down to these two. Denon AH-D5000 and Audio Technica ATH W5000

Can anyone recommend one over the other and why?
Thanks...

That Denon - in fact the whole line of which it was a part - was discontinued
about 2 (?) years ago.

Check out Audeze, HiFiMan, the upper level Fostex models, the upper level
Grado models - there's lot's of good stuff out there...

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 11
well, I'm not experience with all that many highend headphones but I'm pretty sure that stating your music preferences would help in deciding, and stating why you want to choose between these two particular cans and not others, oh.... and not to forget what amp/dac you have(if any) 
beerchug.gif

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 11
I like 80, 90s music. I listen to allot of Sting, Peter Gabriel, the cure, New Order
and New age.

Ive seen the Denon AH-D5000 for about 475.
Are their much better more current headphones?

I like good base but I want clarity. 
Im using a Hifiman HM901.

I have an older pair of Audio technicas ATHW9
I love them but want a bigger warmer sound.

Ive read about Audez-the ones i want are very pricey.

Not sure about HiFiman headphones?

I would like to be able to detach the cords form the headphones.
Nice feature.

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 11
It will be very helpful for you and those helping you
to decide between open and closed headphones.

Right at the outset.

Many of the headphones you've mentioned are closed.
Any specific reason for this? (e.g. not wanting to disturb
others nearby in your listening space)...

Jul 17, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 11
Over the ear closed headphones.
I don't want to bother people around me.
Should I pull trigger on denon 5000? I can get a pair for 475.
Or get something more up to date.

Need some input here. I'm not that familiar with the better headphones

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 11
The W5000 are a pretty bright can overall, which some of the weaker bass I've heard. I have heard them even with the headband adjusted for more bass and felt the bass was still very weak compared to many other headphones like the HD600, W1000X etc. They have a very impressive soundstage for a closed can, but I feel that they have a nasal/honky tonality, some find this sound to be a magical one. For the sake of your wallet these are a headphone that is controversial a fair bit of the time, unless you know you like the AT mids steer away. The W1000X would be the safer bet if you went that direction, as they are warmer and more balanced in the low end as well as less nasal.

The D5000 are a can with strong bass, and prominent treble. They can be a bit rough around the edges at times, the mids are not very forward but are not strongly receded. I would pick them over the W5000 personally. 

The Alpha Dog and the ZMF x Vibro are ones you should definitely consider as I feel that they generally are better than the above mentioned headphones. The difference between the two is that the Alpha Dog are brighter and have less bass, while the ZMF is bassier and darker. The Shure 1540 are not out of reason either, being a warmer can too.

Best to read some reviews of the Alpha Dog and other closed cans before you venture too far into making a purchase.

Of course with any impression YMMV, so always take peoples opinions with a grain of salt as they may not hear things like you.

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 11
  The W5000 are a pretty bright can overall, which some of the weaker bass I've heard. I have heard them even with the headband adjusted for more bass and felt the bass was still very weak compared to many other headphones like the HD600, W1000X etc. They have a very impressive soundstage for a closed can, but I feel that they have a nasal/honky tonality, some find this sound to be a magical one. For the sake of your wallet these are a headphone that is controversial a fair bit of the time, unless you know you like the AT mids steer away. The W1000X would be the safer bet if you went that direction, as they are warmer and more balanced in the low end as well as less nasal.

The D5000 are a can with strong bass, and prominent treble. They can be a bit rough around the edges at times, the mids are not very forward but are not strongly receded. I would pick them over the W5000 personally. 

The Alpha Dog and the ZMF x Vibro are ones you should definitely consider as I feel that they generally are better than the above mentioned headphones. The difference between the two is that the Alpha Dog are brighter and have less bass, while the ZMF is bassier and darker. The Shure 1540 are not out of reason either, being a warmer can too.

Best to read some reviews of the Alpha Dog and other closed cans before you venture too far into making a purchase.

Of course with any impression YMMV, so always take peoples opinions with a grain of salt as they may not hear things like you.

There's plenty of good information/advice in this post.

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 11
Over the ear closed headphones.
I don't want to bother people around me.
Should I pull trigger on denon 5000? I can get a pair for 475.
Or get something more up to date.

Need some input here. I'm not that familiar with the better headphones

Now that you've provided some more information,
I can comfortably say: no, don't pull the trigger on
those 475 Denon AHD 5000's.

Researching even a little through reading,
some of the really good reviews like those of Tyll at Inner Fidelity,
well written ads, intelligent commentary on various boards/forums,
and you'll be glad you educated yourself before
handing over your money.

You'll also end up with superior headphones, and you'll know why.

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #10 of 11

This is quite misleading IMO simply because it's clear that the comparison is to warmer/darker sounding headphones.

Compared to actually bright headphones, the W5000 isn't bright at all. The upper treble is noticeably recessed. And while the bass doesn't go deep, there's no way I'd call it "very weak" - it's pretty hefty.

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #11 of 11
I'm comparing them to warmer cans for a reason, the poster who was asking after these and other cans in this very thread is after a warmer sound signature
wink.gif

That is how I heard it personally, as a brighter than neutral can - brighter than the HD600 or even DT880 (600) - which are fairly neutral. Of course, our perception of it being bright may be different. I would go as far to say the bass is easily one of the weaker ones I've ever heard in a headphone - even after fiddling with adjusting the metal band. That is how I've heard them, you of course are entitled to your opinion, just like I am mine. Maybe I needed to hear them on a different amp to the NFB 28. I have heard that they are very fit dependant to get the best out of them, perhaps my fit was poor even with fiddling - who knows. All I know is that there are safer headphones to spend money on than them if you don't want the risk of not getting a good fit or sound out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back