Denon AH-D5000 - Sibilance?
Aug 18, 2008 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

JackeShan

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!

I got my Denon AH-D5000 today and they are amazing with the X-Can V8 amp... however there is one thing that I have noticed in a few songs. There is some kind of sibilance/ harsh sound etc.. especially in DragonForce songs (all LossLess, no MP3's here).. the cymbals are too harsh sometimes, very noticeable in higher volume.

I just wonder if this is the case with all of you with D5000? Or is this just something that will settle once the headphones are fully burnt in? They only have about 5+ hours right now
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 19
It may be from the MP3-player.

The denons are not even close to shy about letting EVERY hiss of sibilance smack you around if it gets to them...

I would try a different source. It could also just be the music and how it was recorded.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 19
^^^

Very true plus needs some burn in of course.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would try a different source. It could also just be the music and how it was recorded.

Yeah, well I hope it will settle a bit when they are burnt in. It's not too annoying and it's only noticeable in DragonForce songs with high volumes.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 19
They need a good bit of break in to be sure. Also (and I hate to say this) but there may be something of an impedence mismatch with your X-Can...don't know for sure, but lower impedence cans don't always make a good fit with tubes (my Grado 225's sure didn't with my X-Can v2).

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They need a good bit of break in to be sure. Also (and I hate to say this) but there may be something of an impedence mismatch with your X-Can...don't know for sure, but lower impedence cans don't always make a good fit with tubes (my Grado 225's sure didn't with my X-Can v2).

Maybe. But the X-Can V8 fits very well with low impedance phones such as Denon D5000's. The X-Can V8 is known to not work too well with high impedance headphones.

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 19
I have the markl'ed D5000, which some people complain are simbilant compared to the unmodded version, but have no problem with simbilance when I play them from my Apogee mini-DAC.

So ... I second the suggestion of waiting for the burn-in.

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 19
D5000 have smiley presentation.

They have high energy in the highs section.

Mines are Markl full mod and have over 300-400 hrs done.

I don't really notice improvement between 50 - 300-400 hrs ... probably very subtles.

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 19
I have around 450+ hours on my denon 5000s and they are markl modded. I have to say they still do suffer from sibilance. It's not the mind blowing pain that was there before burn in, but it's definitely noticeable.

Dynamically, these headphones might be among the best I've heard, but I'm careful on which songs to use them with. Things with extreme amounts of cymbals or like Freddie Mercury's hard "s" sounds gave me headaches using the Denons.

Aug 20, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmht /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dynamically, these headphones might be among the best I've heard, but I'm careful on which songs to use them with. Things with extreme amounts of cymbals or like Freddie Mercury's hard "s" sounds gave me headaches using the Denons.

With Queen, the sibilance comes from Freddie M, not from your headphones. IMHO, Queen sounds better on my Grado RS-1 than on the MD5000, even counting that Freddie's sibilance becomes more pronounced with the Grados. It's a subjective pay-off weighting you just have to make with such records.

Aug 20, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With Queen, the sibilance comes from Freddie M, not from your headphones. IMHO, Queen sounds better on my Grado RS-1 than on the MD5000, even counting that Freddie's sibilance becomes more pronounced with the Grados. It's a subjective pay-off weighting you just have to make with such records.

I'm not really sure I agree with that. Yeah, for sure Freddie hits those "s" sounds hard, but it comes off just fine on all my Sennheisers (650 and 580).

My whole point is that a hard struck cymbal, live, makes me flinch a little but no big deal. A hard struck cymbal on the D5000's hurts; the highs are a little too excitable. It's something that lessens with burn-in, but at 450+ hours now, I doubt it'll really completely go away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back