Denon AH-D5000 owners
May 1, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by waddragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I just want to create a thread about D5000 to discuss the combination of it with the headphone amp. How do you hear the sound with your amp? what kind of music is it suitable for?
I hope this thread will help all new users of D5000 fall in love with the D5000 more.

As I said in another thread, I've finally found the D5000s sound, especially good with the Musical Fidelity X-CAN v8 - everything you'd want. And... better than with my Graham Slee Solo, or DV332 - both, which need a bit better impedence match to excel with the low impedence of the D5000s.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...0-mods-299627/

May 4, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD2000s are more efficient phones, and much easier to drive. They also sound faster, brighter, much tighter and have more PRAT, overall. If you like their, somewhat "gradoish" sound, you may not be as pleased with the darker, bass heavy sound of the D5000s (unless you apply the "Markl Mods"). Think... RS-1's (AD2000s) compared to HD650s (D5000s).

This is exactly what happened to me as the Cool Torepo is guessing the synergy with pico and D5000!
I have no experience at all with the Pico, so my opinion is just a wild guess. I think it would have enough power for the D5000, but its sound signature might be a bit in the lean and analytical side of things, and the D5000 would tell you.

AD2000's are great headphhones and are very efficient but with pico the sound is on the thin side bright and detailed which i dont like too much. So i guess darker phones would get good synergy with the pico for my tastes thats why I have put up my AD2000 for trade with D5000's. If any one wants do let me know
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by siddiquehanif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is exactly what happened to me as the Cool Torepo is guessing the synergy with pico and D5000!
I have no experience at all with the Pico, so my opinion is just a wild guess. I think it would have enough power for the D5000, but its sound signature might be a bit in the lean and analytical side of things, and the D5000 would tell you.

AD2000's are great headphhones and are very efficient but with pico the sound is on the thin side bright and detailed which i dont like too much. So i guess darker phones would get good synergy with the pico for my tastes thats why I have put up my AD2000 for trade with D5000's. If any one wants do let me know
biggrin.gif

With the D2000/5000s the key is finding an amp with a matching output impedance at least 25 ohms, or less, and sufficient current to drive them and control their drivers. They sound too heavy, and dark, their bass is muddy, and their upper mids are rough if you try and drive them with an amp with too high an impedance, and without sufficient current.

If you get the right amp, they're great... and... yes... they're a bit "less intense" than the AD2000s. Though the AD2000s sound great, and are not too fatiguing with the right set up. But, they are still brighter than the D2000/5000s.

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #36 of 36
Lots of useful information in this thread about amp pairing with the AH-D5000 but i'm shocked that no one has posted in more than 10 years! :anguished:
I recently found someone selling a AH-D5000 in brand new condition (only used once) on Ebay. Aware of their legendary sound and the fact that there can't be many left since they where discontinued in 2012, I immediately purchased them for $510 although I would've paid more.
I have them connected to my Sony CMT-SBT100 system that has a decent internal amplifier which produces a clear, neutral sound and has enough power to drive even high impedance headphones.
Very pleased with the AH-D5000 + SBT100 sound combination, to say the least.

xpnbj8.jpg

2ldun38.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back