Denon AH-D5000 or Senn HD-650 or Grado RS-1?
Aug 6, 2008 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ComfyCan

500+ Head-Fier
I've recently upgraded my source and I'm very happy with it. I do most of my listening with GS-1000's, which work very well with the Marantz SA8001 and Grace m902. I also own a pair of AKG K-701's, and I like them too. However, I've got the urge to try a new flavor.

I listen primarily to rock (nothing too heavy; mostly classic rock or 90's alternative). I also like female vocalists and acoustic rock.

So, given my setup and my interests, what would you good people suggest for a new set of cans? I've always wanted HD-650's, but then again there is the Denon AH-D5000 to consider and, of course, the Grado RS-1's. Much head scratching. Budget is around $800.

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 9
I second the HD650.

Why? Various various reasons.
In fact with your $800 budget... you can get the 'new' version of HD650, get a balanced after market cable or cables of your choice and of course... the most important component of them all: MORE MUSIC!
biggrin.gif

edit: In fact if you don't like it, you can put it on FS forums and it'll be gone momentarily
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 9
No need to spend $800 on a pair meant for rock when you can hit the sweet-spots of the Grado lineup for $150-400 (SR225 and HF1).

HD650's did not impress me. RS-1 feels more relaxed (nearly too lethargic), which I find very odd in a headphone that I long-assumed would be the outright best headphone for rock. As it turns out, I thought my woodied SR225 was more energetic and fun for rock in general (not as refined, but I was not looking for that while listening to Incubus, etc.). The D5000 is a great headphone for less than $500, but with a pair of GS1000's under your belt already I just don't see the Denon adding a ton of new flavor for you. I'm not saying that the GS1000 and D5000 are terribly similar, but I do believe they excel at the same genres, each in a different manner.

An interesting twist would be a used JVC DX1000, if you need another recommendation.

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 9
Buy Grado RS2 rather than RS1, and surely not SR225 - it's too low level. The RS2's have raw power, no-B/S kind of presentation while the RS1's sound too rich and comfy for me. If not, I'd choose the D5k's from your three.

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 9
I sold both RS1 and RS2. IMHO RS1 is far better then RS2, more refined, bass tighter and highs less fatiguing then RS2. I sold different cans the only one I regret is 650, even if IHMO the 5000 is a little bit better, doesn't have the "veil" of 650 and bass is at the same level.

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 9
Tough call... I would go with the D5000 unless you are spoiled on open phones (so you can hear things like the phone, doorbell, kids, wife, etc), in which case I'd get the RS-1. The D5000 will have a slightly wider soundstage and a little stronger low-bass as well. I listen to to both personally, as RS-1 and below have a sonic mid-signature that many (including myself) are addicted to, and I need a good open phone for rock.

Aug 6, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 9
Some might find the GS-1000's and RS-1's close in presentation, but in reality they excel at different genres. Based on your listening tastes, then, I think Grado's RS-1's will fit you best out of the listed choices. They may not be as weighty as the GS-1000's, but acoustic music still rocks with a nicely visceral presentation and adequate bass response. And well-recorded classic rock sounds fantastic on the RS-1's: production and mastering from the 60's and 70's are generally excellent, and guitars really do sizzle with energy on the right album.

Anyway, your amp can pretty much give any headphone it's due justice; so I don't think any of your listed choices would do shame to rock music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back