Denon ah-d5000 or RS-1i for allround genre listening ?
Jan 8, 2010 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bubbah

Head-Fier
Im stuck between the Denon ah-d5000 or Grado RS-1i (will be using them with iBasso D4).
I listen to pretty much everything, but most of the times classical. Ill be using the phones in the library so i guess the Denon is advantageous here, but i rather my purchase be based on sound criteria.

Appreciate the help.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 11
I'd actually say HD600 or HD650 (depending on musical taste) for all around listening, the D5000s are weak with classical, and Grados could do better with it.

Out of your 2 options I'd go with the RS1, but the comfort of them could be an issue.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 11
If you're in the library...definately go with closed headphones.
You know...I really like my Shure SRH 840 for classical music with a closed can.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 11
I suggest getting 2 sets of cans. For instance get the Shure SRH 840 as a closed back for the library and get like the SR325's for other listening or maybe even HD600 used, but your amp may have trouble pushing those.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 11
Two very different cans, but if you're going to be using them in a public library I'd suggest neither. Open headphones in a library just don't work, and headphones with wooden cups aren't portable unless you don't mind them getting completely dinged up. The Shure SRH840 is an option but personally I found it to be very uninvolving. Have you considered an IEM? The Etymotic ER4P is great for classical, offers excellent isolation, is very portable, and is less expensive than either the Denon or the Grado you're considering.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 11
the D5000 is too bassy for a lot of genres IMVHO (some electronic gets motonous, rock sounds muddy). The RS1 is the safer bet IMO.

If you are using them in public, neither.

Wouldn't recommend the HD650 for allround listening because it is boring for a lot of genres.

RE: dpippels post. I own an ER4P and consider it great at everything.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #7 of 11
The Denon while they are closed cans they do not provide enough isolation for use in the library. The HD280 or the HD380 will leak music much less that the Denon. Do you see what headphones are people are using in your library? A bit of research may be helpful.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 11
I got my own locker next to the library which i will contain my phones, so there wont be any traveling with the phones. Iem is good, but earwax is an issue. Im leaning towards RS1i (love the retro looks and already pretty happy with my sr60i).

Ive been using sr60i in the library without any problems, i prefer listening at low volumes anyway.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my own locker next to the library which i will contain my phones, so there wont be any traveling with the phones. Iem is good, but earwax is an issue. Im leaning towards RS1i (love the retro looks and already pretty happy with my sr60i).

I doubt that the other people in the library will share your enthusiasm for an open headphone in such a quiet environment.
wink.gif
(I reply after you edit your post)

FWIW there's no way I'd be dragging a $500 wooden headphone around for portable use, locker or not.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #11 of 11
the best option is to have them both
smily_headphones1.gif
they compliment each other well.
but if you must have only one of them,I would say the D5000 is better for all around listening. imo,they do a lot of genres good. the grado I use only for rock/metal stuff (and they are the BEST in this territory) .
I personally like the D5000 for anything,including classical music. sometimes when they are relatively new, they can be a little overbassy in some bass heavy rock albums (in electronic,the bigger the bass the better imo, so it doesn't matter) but some burn in and the right ss amp will tight the bass and smooth the highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back