Denon AH-D5000 build quality. What is this?
Jun 17, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #32 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep looking, I'm sure you'll find your nuts :snicker:

In your case we'll need a monkey wrench
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #33 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another good suggestion.
And many wonder why some of us question not only Chinese build quality, but also their ability to adopt good engineering practises in the case of even simple problems that the rest of the engineering world have long since identified and solved.

Honestly, I wouldn't blame Chinese build quality. If the lock washers were present and missing in only a few headphones, then I would blame poor quality control in the factory. If the design is defective then blame the engineers. Factory workers build what engineers tell them build.

Go to other forums dedicated to cars, electronics, and what not. You'll find plenty of examples where American, European, and Japanese Engineers could have made something better but chose not to save money. Sometimes it quite literally was just a question of a few cents and, perhaps, common sense.

But I digress from the point of this thread. There must be solutions to this problem that do not require glue, loctite, or any thing that might cause problems in the future. Lock washers are one option. Regular washers at both ends are another.

Jun 17, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #34 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by argentum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Snice if you want great all around can buy Audio-Technica AD2000 with your refund .

I had a WTB thread up the minute I found I was getting a refund lol

Jun 17, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #35 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wotan1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess what! I went out on my terrace and I found this very small nut.

It's a miracle..

Thank you all so much for helping!!

Great...

... now get yourself a 4 mm nut driver and put 'em back together (as well as as precision screw driver for the bottom screw - hopefully, you've still got it also).

Jun 17, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #36 of 59
Just a quick note: You may find that the 4 mm precision nut driver, or at least the one that I showed in my previous post, will be slightly too big to fit in the hole. Don't try to force it in to try to make it fit, as that will expand the hole and make the fitting too loose for the chrome cap to snap in place. Instead, you should decrease the outer diameter of the nut driver a bit with some sandpaper so that it will fit without a problem.

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #37 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by zmorris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick note: You may find that the 4 mm precision nut driver, or at least the one that I showed in my previous post, will be slightly too big to fit in the hole. Don't try to force it in to try to make it fit, as that will expand the hole and make the fitting too loose for the chrome cap to snap in place. Instead, you should decrease the outer diameter of the nut driver a bit with some sandpaper so that it will fit without a problem.

Good point...

Also... how can you remove the chrome cap without pushing it out from beneath after the nut has already come off.

Can it safely be removed with precision needle nose pliers, or is their a better method?

I'd like to do some preventive maintenance and tighten mine.

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #38 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I digress from the point of this thread. There must be solutions to this problem that do not require glue, loctite, or any thing that might cause problems in the future. Lock washers are one option. Regular washers at both ends are another.

why would loctite cause problems in the future?

A locking nut probably wont fit under the little cap, and the threads on the "oddly shaped bit" are only long enough for the standard nut.

A lockwasher is going to press against a spring, which is WORTHLESS.

Just get some strong loctite, and glue your nuts on.

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why would loctite cause problems in the future?

A locking nut probably wont fit under the little cap, and the threads on the "oddly shaped bit" are only long enough for the standard nut.

A lockwasher is going to press against a spring, which is WORTHLESS.

Just get some strong loctite, and glue your nuts on.

Well if the nut is locktited the bolt is guaranteed to snap if you ever have to take it apart again. Not that anybody would want to take it apart again.

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #40 of 59
Quote:

Somebody has been a cheapskate and left off two washers: one at each end of the spring.

There are two tiny little washers that also likley fell out with all the other bits, they should be there. They are so small they probably disappeared under the sofa, but they do exist.

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #41 of 59
supposedly the best dynamic can on the market...but built like a $15 Sony headphone.

hopefully they improve the D7000 in this regard.

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #42 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point...

Also... how can you remove the chrome cap without pushing it out from beneath after the nut has already come off.

Can it safely be removed with precision needle nose pliers, or is their a better method?

I'd like to do some preventive maintenance and tighten mine.

I don't think the chrome cap can be removed easily from the top. When the chrome cap is fully inserted, there are really no places to grip it with pliers or other hand tools without running the risk of damaging or scratching the cap or surrounding area. You may try using some putty-like material like Dynamat Xtreme or blu tack or even a glue gun to remove it, though, but I haven't tried it myself.

Jun 18, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #43 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but built like a $15 Sony headphone.

Yeah... I'm pretty sure that's taking it just a tad bit too far.

rolleyes.gif

It's a loose nut for crying out loud.

At any rate, I own a pair of D2000s that I take with me to work and use 5 days per week, 6 hours per day for several months now and haven't had any problems. I also own a pair of D5000s that stay at home that I have put many, many hours on and again, haven't had any problems. Now I'm not saying it doesn't suck for the few unfortunate people who this has happened to, but if it were to happen to me, I would spend $3 for the nut driver and tighten the freakin' nut and put some locktite on it. If for some reason I couldn't fix the issue, I would contact Denon to see what they could do for me. I certainly wouldn't have some kneejerk over-reaction and think it was the end of the world. These phones are too good to let something as simple as a loose nut sour anyone's opinion for these phones. Such a reaction seems a bit silly, at least to me.

Edit: as a matter of fact, I am going to be pro-active and spend the $3.00 on EBay to buy a 4MM nut driver so I can make sure that the nuts are snug on my Denons and I'll locktite them for giggles. Plus it would be another cool tool to throw in the toolbox. I'll be damned if (the potential) of a loose nut will sour me on these killer phones.

Jun 18, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #44 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are two tiny little washers that also likley fell out with all the other bits, they should be there. They are so small they probably disappeared under the sofa, but they do exist.

What is a washer? And how does it look like? My technical English is not so well developed.

Jun 18, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #45 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wotan1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is a washer? And how does it look like? My DIY English is not so well developed.

Spring-Washers-DIN127-.jpg

washers.gif

Your English is just fine...at least you try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back