Denon AH-D5000 build quality. What is this?
Jun 13, 2008 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Snicewicz

500+ Head-Fier
I have been reading about similar problems on Denon cans and it finally happened to me today.

I ordered the headphones on the 15th of May which means I most likely received them the 20th to the 22.

It has been 3 weeks and they have broken already, honestly?

I baby these things. I set them down gently and I take them off with two hands making sure not to put too much pressure on one cup.

To be honest with you I am quite disappointed in Denon especially because I own and love some of their receivers. I would expect better build quality for the price.

I am going to ask for a refund and although I loved them I am sure I can find a better way to spend the money...

Here are the pictures:

2575648625_4edf21714f.jpg

2576477278_fe0ae4e5f8.jpg

2575648991_c52b7136ae.jpg

Jun 13, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 59
Thank god it hasnt been 30 days. Contacted Amazon, getting a full refund.

Now the inner-struggle, get a new amp or get new cans....

Jun 13, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 59
I see... faintly... no... stronger now... a... a... new "Markl Mod" coming....

Jun 13, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 59
Although you're going to return these, for other people who have the same problem and want to try to fix this themselves, it's very easy. Just insert a paper clip or other wire with similar thickness in this circled area to remove the frustum-shaped chrome-plated cap, then you'll find a 4 mm nut inside, which you'll need to tighten with a nut driver after the screw part of the phone is reinserted in the hole. I suggest adding a bit of loc-tite to the nut and screw to prevent this from happening again.

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by zmorris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although you're going to return these, for other people who have the same problem and want to try to fix this themselves, it's very easy. Just insert a paper clip or other wire with similar thickness in this circled area to remove the frustum-shaped chrome-plated cap, then you'll find a 4 mm nut inside, which you'll need to tighten with a nut driver after the screw part of the phone is reinserted in the hole. I suggest adding a bit of loc-tite to the nut and screw to prevent this from happening again.

That seems like a simple procedure to "tighten" the screw / nut combo, but what about a screw that's sheared. Is that what has occurred with this set of phones?

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by zmorris /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That seems like a simple procedure to "tighten" the screw / nut combo, but what about a screw that's sheared. Is that what has occurred with this set of phones?

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #11 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The OP's screw is not sheared; that's how it normally looks like. I doubt the screw's threads are stripped either, considering how much care he put into these headphones. He'd have to either over tighten the nut or apply a considerable amount of force and pull the phone from the headband at that particular joint to strip the screw.

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #14 of 59
I'm a huge fan of these and this is an unfortunate manufacturing issue. Actually, the design is pretty good as at least you can effect the repair yourself even though it's a shame that we have too. I would only add that the above has good advice about using some loc tite. Avoid, avoid, avoid, cranking down on the nut as it will strip fairly easily due to the size (from experience). If that occurs, tighten the nut down as much as possible and then encase the nut in epoxy (super glue probably works, but the resins will seal better).

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #15 of 59
Yes, it's a manufacturing defect, or rather a fault in the design of the cans. However, they are still the best sounding dynamic driver cans on the market right now, once slightly modded (more fluff in the pads and the headband pulled open a little wider).

The screw can be tightened rather easily if you remove the cup. It's not difficult at all. But if you guys follow the directions in the instructions you wouldn't have nearly as much issues with these cans. It clearly states to hold the cans by the swivel arm and not by the cups. Sure, you shouldn't HAVE to, but these are very comfortable cans and that's partially because of the way they swivel and function. Taking the cans off your head by grabbing onto the cups is a surefire way to make them fall off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back