Denon AH-D5000, AH-D2000 vs. AudioTechnica ath-W5000, ath-W1000
Nov 25, 2007 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

FritzS

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,
have anyone compared Denon AH-D5000, AH-D2000 with AudioTechnica ath-W5000, ath-W1000?

Whats the conclusion and the ranking?

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 31
I'm also interested in this. I just got my W1000's this month, I like them a lot. Very comfortable and they sound good to me. Are they considered to have the A-T "house sound"?

Actually I was just doing some googling and saw where someone claimed "ATH-L3000 drivers are available for around $130 for a matched pair"....is that true?? Is it possible to replace the drivers accross different models in the lineup?

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 31
Meh, I like W5000 plenty and hate D5000 plenty. Does that count as biased?
(I did not use stellar amps with either).

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 31
I was thinking of buying some W-1000s to go with a green Solo, I listen to a lot of jazz rock and the odd bit of postpunk. Are they worth the piastas? They look it. If they isolate well they're so pretty I might use em w/ band...

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 31
IMO yes the 1's are worth the money - at least for jazz....not as sure about rock or punk. And I haven't heard the Denons.

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundfreq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no one? i'm deciding whether to get the d5000 vs w5000

i own a W5k and had a brief 20min encounter with a D5k lastmonth. to my ears, these 2woodies are as polar opps as the north-south poles. where the W5k provides a leaner but deep&articulate bass to sub levels, the D5k belts out stupendous energy in the mid-high bass (couldnt tell if the D5k goes as deep) that almost overwhelming. where the W5k projects a holographic 3D soundstage with amazing details & precise imaging, the D5k's soundstage is more limited both in scale and scope. highs are very smooth on the D5k but because of my limited time and the focus on the ginormous bass, i couldnt tell if the highs were as extended and detailed as the W5k.

that said IMO the W5k is very source/amp critical while the D5k was easily & decently driven by a RSA Hornet. i would say the W5k leans (pardon the pun) towards a leaner analytical siggy that easily provides detail listening at low levels while the D5k is the rockabilly powerhouse that challenges you to pump it up.

edited on: O btw SARCHI can u provide me the link to the L3000 drivers? i just did a search and found natch.

May 6, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also interested in this. I just got my W1000's this month, I like them a lot. Very comfortable and they sound good to me. Are they considered to have the A-T "house sound"?

Actually I was just doing some googling and saw where someone claimed "ATH-L3000 drivers are available for around $130 for a matched pair"....is that true?? Is it possible to replace the drivers accross different models in the lineup?

hallo Sarchi

have you found more answers in case of replacement drivers you mentioned ?
I would like to know more about ,it seems to be really interesting opportunity if it really can handle .
At the moment I am just selling my W5k ,but I definitely will be back to them in the future ,so like to know .

regards

greg

May 7, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregdee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hallo Sarchi

have you found more answers in case of replacement drivers you mentioned ?
I would like to know more about ,it seems to be really interesting opportunity if it really can handle .
At the moment I am just selling my W5k ,but I definitely will be back to them in the future ,so like to know .

regards

greg

At some point, replacement L3000 drivers were available and a few people put them in W100s to get what is called the W3000. AFAIK, they are no longer available.

May 7, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 31
I've owned the D2000, W1000, and W5000. I actually liked all 3. Personally, the D2000s sounded like the A900s but with a more visceral bass. I'm sure there's more to them than that as I didn't do a real thorough comparison (had A900 and D2000 at the same time, and I'm a fan of the A900s so it was all good to me) I enjoyed them quite a bit and I'd like to give modding them a try sometime.

The W5000 blew me away. I loved their sound. It wasn't perfect, but it is a sound I very much enjoy. Effortless speed and detail. Unfortunately, getting a good seal proved difficult which made their lowend a bit finnicky, but generally I'd plop them on and get lost in the music.

I had to sell the W5000s, but later picked up a pair of W1000s. The W1000s are more upfront/aggressive. They had great speed and good detail but were not a match for the W5000 in either department (the W5000 have a way of isolating all the parts so you can easily discern them, whereas the W1000 kinda smush things together and you have to focus to pick them out), and have a more closed in soundstage. I did not like the bass all that much, it was more heavy handed, giving more "whomp" than punch. I modded the W1000 and it helped the bass quite a bit and decongested them as well, but I never was really satisfied with the sound. Several people have chosen the W1000 over the W5000, so its more of a preference/taste than one necessarily being superior.

I bought another pair of W5000s since I was smitten with their sound. I did some modding to them as well, hoping maybe of getting the bass to come out. I tried the Fitz mod and quite frankly did not like the sound at all. It almost completely ruined the traits I like about its sound (it became slow, boomy, bloated and just not pleasing at all to me). This time I also had a better source and amp (but by no means great), and seeing at how much that helped the W5000, I decided to give them up until I could give them a proper setup as I knew I'd always be wanting until I did. I still maintain they sound excellent, to me, personally, head and shoulders above all other headphones I'd heard to that point, even straight out of a laptop, however they also benefitted from better source/amp more than any other headphone I'd tried.

After further experience, I find that the W5000 have perhaps an artificial speed. I got the impression that it wanted to go even faster but the music wasn't pushing it. Its not bothersome, but after hearing other quick sound signatures, its a bit unnatural. The detail is also odd in that it really separates the individual sounds but somehow puts focus on the main "points". I was genuinely surprised when I was hearing things that I'd simply never noticed were there. Even though they weren't necessarily natural, I loved both of these aspects. The last thing that really won me over with them is they had, and I know it sounds cheesy and I'm stealing it from another person, but they gave a holographic effect to the music.

In short, I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them, but I would guess you'd probably like the Denons more unless you specifically like the sound of either of the A-Ts. The issue is that if you do, you'll likely be smitten with it, whereas you might find the Denon's to have a lot you like but not quite love.

Sorry, didn't mean to write so much.

May 7, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 31
darkswordsman17 - very nice comparison of the D2000, W1000, and W5000. I may be acquiring a W5000, had ordered a W1000 a few days ago (couldn't resist the price), and already have the D2000. I'll be looking forward to seeing if I make the same observations.
I'll also add in my Denon AH-D7000 for good measure.
If and when I get the W5000, I also wonder if my Compass will drive it satisfactorily.
Again, thanks, nice work.

May 7, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlsan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
darkswordsman17 - very nice comparison of the D2000, W1000, and W5000. I may be acquiring a W5000, had ordered a W1000 a few days ago (couldn't resist the price), and already have the D2000. I'll be looking forward to seeing if I make the same observations.
I'll also add in my Denon AH-D7000 for good measure.
If and when I get the W5000, I also wonder if my Compass will drive it satisfactorily.
Again, thanks, nice work.

W5000 will sound nice out of anything, but I feel that it scales nicely with a nice dac and especially amp.

May 7, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I tried the Fitz mod and quite frankly did not like the sound at all. It almost completely ruined the traits I like about its sound (it became slow, boomy, bloated and just not pleasing at all to me)....

I've been using the F5005 Fitz mod and I don't hear what you described, even when I compared them side by side to my vintage Lambda. I thought the mod added bass impact while extending even deeper than before. Moreover, the W5000 gained better balance and coloration was toned down.

May 7, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using the F5005 Fitz mod and I don't hear what you described, even when I compared them side by side to my vintage Lambda. I thought the mod added bass impact while extending even deeper than before. Moreover, the W5000 gained better balance and coloration was toned down.

I like the fitz mod quite a bit but in the end I decided to revert to stock. I felt that balanced, the W5000 already has a decent amount of bass impact and also, the mod added a bit of bloat to the bass which I didn't like.

It seems like the W5000 is enjoying a resurgence of sorts these past few months
normal_smile .gif

May 7, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #15 of 31
agree with comment about Fitz mod W5000.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At some point, replacement L3000 drivers were available and a few people put them in W100s to get what is called the W3000. AFAIK, they are no longer available.

ditto! as being the proud owner of W3000, the L3000's drivers are no longer available.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back