Denon AH-D2000's worth it?
Feb 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #76 of 111
Thanks for the comparison.  I love bass, but I love quality bass.  I don't love bloated bass or bass that isn't in the recording.  For example, in my home theater I have three pretty big subwoofers, but there's not calibrated above the other speakers just for the sake of more bass.  They are there for when the movie calls for a lot of bass.  When there's an explosion in the movie, I want my subs to move a ton of air and shake my house, but when someone closes a door in the movie, the subwoofers aren't cranked so high it sounds like an explosion.  It should just sound like a door closing : )  It sounds like I would prefer the HM5 and it doesn't hurt that they are $100 less.  I'm sure I would enjoy listening to the Denon and wouldn't dislike them, but I doubt I would think they are better,

Quote:
brainwavz hm5 are neutral as many have said.
the bass shows up when it's in the recording and disappears otherwise. 
however, if you listen to any kind of even mildly bass heavy music or are not used to the sound of flat/neutral speakers and headphones, the hm5's sound bass anemic.
the bass punch is there, but the subbass is not (quantity wise, not presence wise). in other words, if you listen to dubstep, you WILL want more out of them. unless you have an amazing amp.

anywayz. out of my want of moar bass. i got the d2ks. i'm happy. but in comparison, the bass of the d2ks are less punchy. it has mooooar subbass/bass quantity wise.
the mids of the d2ks sound recessed IN COMPARISON, not on its own. soundstage seems a tad bit bigger too.
sound leakage? the d2k's leak. while the hm5 only leak at high volume.
comfort? the d2k's basically rest on your head with a good seal. the hm5's feel tight yet comfortable. meaning. if you're doing some headbanging, the d2ks will fall off whereas the hm5's won't.
that's the quick gist from my view.

sorry for the wall of text.

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #77 of 111
Quote:
Thanks for the comparison.  I love bass, but I love quality bass.  I don't love bloated bass or bass that isn't in the recording.  For example, in my home theater I have three pretty big subwoofers, but there's not calibrated above the other speakers just for the sake of more bass.  They are there for when the movie calls for a lot of bass.  When there's an explosion in the movie, I want my subs to move a ton of air and shake my house, but when someone closes a door in the movie, the subwoofers aren't cranked so high it sounds like an explosion.  It should just sound like a door closing : )  It sounds like I would prefer the HM5 and it doesn't hurt that they are $100 less.  I'm sure I would enjoy listening to the Denon and wouldn't dislike them, but I doubt I would think they are better,

you make it sound as if i said the bass on the d2k's are everywhere. they're not. they are there when necessary and disappear when not. (like hm5)
just clarifying. you DEFINITELY have quality bass on the d2k's. it would be a waste of money and unsatisfactory otherwise. that's the reason i got them and they haven't disappointed.

but like you said. i can't say they're better than the hm5's. they're different. i use them both. (until i can afford audeze)

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #78 of 111
Oops, hope it didn't sound like I was talking about your impression of the Denon when I was talking about bass.  I was trying to explain what I like and don't like.  Sorry if it sounded otherwise my friend :)

Quote:
you make it sound as if i said the bass on the d2k's are everywhere. they're not. they are there when necessary and disappear when not. (like hm5)
just clarifying. you DEFINITELY have quality bass on the d2k's. it would be a waste of money and unsatisfactory otherwise. that's the reason i got them and they haven't disappointed.

but like you said. i can't say they're better than the hm5's. they're different. i use them both. (until i can afford audeze)

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #79 of 111
I've always been interested in a pair of Denons. These seem to be reasonable as far as price goes. I have the 32ohm DT990's which I mainly use for gaming. I love my beyers.
Was wondering how the d2k compared, if it's worth the "upgrade", or would it even be considered an upgrade?

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #80 of 111
The D2K doesn't always need an amp. The Sansa Clip+, a cheap little portable player (which by the way also uses a respectable DAC), matches excellently with the D2K and does a great job driving them with plenty of volume to spare.

However, given the D2K's low impedance and high sensitivity, it can be rather tricky matching them to a proper source/amp. Many sources/amps are too powerful, with an output impedance that is too high and will distort the D2K. Be careful that you match up these cans with a source/amp that is not too powerful and can accommodate low-impedance/high-sensitivity headphones like the D2K.

For more reading on the subject I suggest you google "NwAvGuy" and read his blogs posts on amps and impedance. Very, VERY informative reading. Without offering an opinion on whether or not it was the right or wrong thing to do, NwAvGuy's ban means that this forum is missing out on his incredible knowledge and wisdom.

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #81 of 111
there's not calibrated above the other speakers just for the sake of more bass.  They are there for when the movie calls for a lot of bass. 

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I'm little confused by this statement. I know on a subwoofer, you can use the lowpass filter to calibrate the woofer with the other speakers, but I only thought this mattered on recordings where sub-bass is not discrete. In a 5.1 (or 6.1, 7.1) setup, the LFE channel is discrete. While you can adjust the volume of the subwoofer independently, either on the sub itself, or via the receiver, there shouldn't be any frequency overlap with the other speakers, because the LFE is channeled exclusively through the sub. Am I missing something?

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #82 of 111
OMG, you must be kidding me. :eek: With the markl mods, just the ones for D2000, and a few days break in, these things are ****ing brilliant. Yesterday they were still just a touch too bright, but I pounded them with my trusty pink noise loop all night and all day today. I went a decent amount louder than I had before. There's no way in hell $200 headphones should sound like this.

Hell with it, I'm starting work on my D7000s tonight. I'll make them better than they were before. Better...stronger...faster.

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #83 of 111

Quote:
OMG, you must be kidding me.
eek.gif
With the markl mods, just the ones for D2000, and a few days break in, these things are ****ing brilliant. Yesterday they were still just a touch too bright, but I pounded them with my trusty pink noise loop all night and all day today. I went a decent amount louder than I had before. There's no way in hell $200 headphones should sound like this.
Hell with it, I'm starting work on my D7000s tonight. I'll make them better than they were before. Better...stronger...faster.

Try the Open back mod :) Someone found the open-back to be slightly better sounding than even the markl mods and to test it out is easier than the markl mod itself while not being permanent.

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #84 of 111

Quote:
OMG, you must be kidding me. 
eek.gif
 With the markl mods, just the ones for D2000, and a few days break in, these things are ****ing brilliant. Yesterday they were still just a touch too bright, but I pounded them with my trusty pink noise loop all night and all day today. I went a decent amount louder than I had before. There's no way in hell $200 headphones should sound like this.

Did you just get the D2000s, Magick? Did you do the markl mods right away?

I'm picking mine up tomorrow and want to tinker with them some too, is why I ask.

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #85 of 111
Feb 21, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #86 of 111

Quote:

I am definitely trying that (http://www.head-fi.org/t/569094/open-back-mod-for-denon-d2000-5000-7000-fr-measurements-available-updated-11-1-2011) too!

How do your Denons sound on the Studio-V, Lee?

Sound stage is really wide, treble is super sparkly. Keep in mind these cans once modded are unrelenting with detail. You give them crap and it will give you a polished turd. Bass is very tight with this mod and I can focus on how deep it goes opposed to being irritated by excessive sub bass (this is more so an issue on the Denon 5000s and not the 2000/7000 as they both emphasis mid bass and less sub bass when compared to the 5000s). The mid range was already open on the Denon 5000s but with the cups removed it really gave them life and let them grow. These are very energetic cans and very enjoyable even at low volume listening. Thing is since they are opened now you don't get as much isolation as they did closed. But I got spoiled and when I went back to stock it ruined the sound. They just sound crappy and lifeless when you go back to stock :p

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #87 of 111
Try the Open back mod :) Someone found the open-back to be slightly better sounding than even the markl mods and to test it out is easier than the markl mod itself while not being permanent.

I tried it, it was okay, but I like the bass from the markl mod more.
Did you just get the D2000s, Magick? Did you do the markl mods right away?

I'm picking mine up tomorrow and want to tinker with them some too, is why I ask.

I've had them for a few days, I let them break in for 2 full days before the mod. I have the D7000s but wanted to try the mods on some less expensive cans first. I was going to give these to my dad for his birthday, but I may just keep them now. :wink:

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #88 of 111

Quote:
Sound stage is really wide, treble is super sparkly. Keep in mind these cans once modded are unrelenting with detail. You give them crap and it will give you a polished turd. Bass is very tight with this mod and I can focus on how deep it goes opposed to being irritated by excessive sub bass (this is more so an issue on the Denon 5000s and not the 2000/7000 as they both emphasis mid bass and less sub bass when compared to the 5000s). The mid range was already open on the Denon 5000s but with the cups removed it really gave them life and let them grow. These are very energetic cans and very enjoyable even at low volume listening. Thing is since they are opened now you don't get as much isolation as they did closed. But I got spoiled and when I went back to stock it ruined the sound. They just sound crappy and lifeless when you go back to stock :p

Oh, I have read up on the open-back mod. I will definitely be giving that a try. I was curious how well the Studio-V did the Denons more than anything though.

Quote:
I've had them for a few days, I let them break in for 2 full days before the mod. I have the D7000s but wanted to try the mods on some less expensive cans first. I was going to give these to my dad for his birthday, but I may just keep them now.
wink.gif

Haha, now that is what I like to hear!! That's interesting you tried the mod on your D2k first. Wouldn't you think though, that after you do the markl mod on your D7k, that you will probably be giving the D2k to your dad? 
tongue.gif

Btw, where did you get the supplies to do your mod? Is there a kit or do you have to buy the individual pieces to do the mod? I'll admit, I have not done the necessary research on everything the markl mod entails, but I've heard enough of it over the years (+your feedback) to know that I definitely want to do the mod eventually.

Feb 21, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #89 of 111
I went to the local car audio place, they didn't charge me because they're friends and I get all my work done there.

I was joking about not giving them to my dad, he'll really like the D2000s quite a bit. They're a huge jump over the old JVC cans he has now.

Feb 21, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #90 of 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just ordered them.........Went like this;

Me: Hey there CSR, I was gonna buy some headphones and a forum member said to call in and check current prices of a specific headphone.
CSR: Sure thing what headphones?
Me: J&R Item # DNN AHD2000
CSR: We have those atm for 249.99
Me: Really? hmmm my forum members were quoted quote a bit lower.
CSR: How much where they quoted?
Me: 210 shipped.
CSR: Give me a second
*went afk for about a min*
CSR: We can do 210 shipped.
Me: Alright I'll take them.
Me: "inside" *F'ing sweet! but I hate these damn Head-fi people always getting me to spend more cash *
tongue.gif

I just called them and said almost exactly this. They said the same thing! lolol. We must've had the same rep.

But when I called and they gave me 250 I said "Really? My friend just ordered a pair a few days ago and they got them for a little less" then he asked how much, I said 210, and then they asked for his name and in my head I was like "LOL, ****". I nearly hung up, but instead I just said "Uhhh, Brian". He asked for their last name and I hesitated, and he was like "It's fine if you don't know it, I was just going to check our order history". He went away for a minute and then said "Okay, we can do 210 shipped."

But I finally got my headphones! I don't think they'll be in time for my birthday this Friday, but I don't really mind 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back