Denon AH-D2000s sibilance level?
May 22, 2012 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

keyweez360

Head-Fier
Had my D2000s for a few weeks now and mostly loving them for their clarity and punchy bass. They're paired with a Fiio E10 at my desktop. Been listening to FLAC files to get a feel for them, and I feel like the "S" and "T" sounds from vocals are harsher than I expected.

Read into this as much as I could, and some people claim no sibilance at all with these headphones, going so far as to say their lack of sibilance is one of the D2000's key positives. Am I doing something wrong? Others claim they are "sparkly". I've also read some mention that slightly different builds of the DX000 series have been released with varying levels of sibilance (or lack thereof), and seen others cite manufacturing defects to blame for D2000 sets with more sibilance than others. Being that I've only had these headphones for a few weeks, is it safe to assume I have the latest build?

I'm not really certain how to identify too much sibilance in a pair of headphones-- I wouldn't say it hurts my ears, but its noticeable. At high volumes, the "S" and "T" sounds can sometimes actually make my eyes wince slightly. Some tracks hiss more than others, but it's frequent enough. My Fiio E10 dial is at 4 (of 8) usually, with the PC SPDIF interface at 100 and Winamp (Wasapi) between 70-100.

I guess what I'm wondering is if these headphones are supposed to be like this? Are they really supposed to be as non-sibilant as people say? All I have to compare them to are my Sennheiser PX100s, which aren't quite as sharp. Do the D2000s change with burn in?

Thanks.

May 22, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Had my D2000s for a few weeks now and mostly loving them for their clarity and punchy bass. They're paired with a Fiio E10 at my desktop. Been listening to FLAC files to get a feel for them, and I feel like the "S" and "T" sounds from vocals are harsher than I expected.

Read into this as much as I could, and some people claim no sibilance at all with these headphones, going so far as to say their lack of sibilance is one of the D2000's key positives. Am I doing something wrong? Others claim they are "sparkly". I've also read some mention that slightly different builds of the DX000 series have been released with varying levels of sibilance (or lack thereof), and seen others cite manufacturing defects to blame for D2000 sets with more sibilance than others. Being that I've only had these headphones for a few weeks, is it safe to assume I have the latest build?

I'm not really certain how to identify too much sibilance in a pair of headphones-- I wouldn't say it hurts my ears, but its noticeable. At high volumes, the "S" and "T" sounds can sometimes actually make my eyes wince slightly. Some tracks hiss more than others, but it's frequent enough. My Fiio E10 dial is at 4 (of 8) usually, with the PC SPDIF interface at 100 and Winamp (Wasapi) between 70-100.

I guess what I'm wondering is if these headphones are supposed to be like this? Are they really supposed to be as non-sibilant as people say? All I have to compare them to are my Sennheiser PX100s, which aren't quite as sharp. Do the D2000s change with burn in?

Thanks.

Heya,

Denons have a sparkle to me. I like slightly brighter headphones anyways though. I wouldn't call them sibilant though. Ultrasones are sibilant as a comparison, to me.

I would suggest you simply open your equalizer and drop 10khz, 7khz by 1~2 db or so, and the treble sparkle will go away. Just test a few of those frequencies and lower them a hair. Easiest way to manage it. It won't change with "burn in." It will sound the same now and after 1,000 hours. Your ears and perception might change though over that amount of time as you adjust to the headphone.

Very best,

May 22, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 7
I can't seem to be as precise as you suggest with the equalizer. In fact, Winamp's (built-in) equalizer doesn't seem to have the "bars" for me to slide for the areas you mentioned (7 and 10khz). It instead has 6khz and 12khz, and is fidgety in terms of how far I can slide the levels. Does this make a big difference? I tried a graphic equalizer add-on for Winamp but honestly had no idea what I was doing, as it wasn't so simple as "slide this bar up or down".

Any recommendations?

May 22, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I can't seem to be as precise as you suggest with the equalizer. In fact, Winamp's (built-in) equalizer doesn't seem to have the "bars" for me to slide for the areas you mentioned (7 and 10khz). It instead has 6khz and 12khz, and is fidgety in terms of how far I can slide the levels. Does this make a big difference? I tried a graphic equalizer add-on for Winamp but honestly had no idea what I was doing, as it wasn't so simple as "slide this bar up or down".

Any recommendations?

Heya,

Perhaps use a different media player. Foobar2000 comes to mind. Unless Winamp allows apps/addons to expand the equalizer to something closer to 12/15 band or more?

Very best,

May 22, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #7 of 7
Well the bands are quite a wide range, if you adjust both 6kHz and 12kHz slightly, everything in-between will be affected too, that's how it works, if you want to adjust a problematic spike in-between 2 frequency sliders, adjust both of those.

Then if you have 6kHz and 12kHz on an EQ and the problematic spike the headphone has is exactly in-between, in this example 9kHz, you'd lower both those sliders by say 1.5dB or whatever that's required. If the troublesome spike is at say 7.5kHz you'd have to adjust more like 6kHz @ -2dB and 12kHz by maybe -1.0dB because the peak is closer to 6kHz band or the opposite if the spike on the headphone happens around 10.5kHz for example you would maybe have to adjust it the opposite, -2dB at 12kHz and -1.0 dB at 6kHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back