Denon AH-D2000 - UPDATE: First impressions!!!
May 13, 2009 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RushNerd

1000+ Head-Fier
0020522000_3332.jpg

[size=small]Before considering weather I could actually afford these or not, I went ahead a bought the Denon AH-D2000 model phones (still in the mail). Me being a bass-head i'm sure i'll fricken love them.

($217 new W/shipping, good deal amirite?)

I don't know if burn-in time is the same for all phones or not, but if anyone has these Denons or a similar model, any tips would be welcome. Also I was wondering if any HP modders would or could do anything to improve these cans as well.

I know it's a sin around here to listen W/O an amp, but it will have to do for a while, hopefully my computer and stereo can drive the Denons well enough
( The Impedance is @ 1kHz: 25 ). To that matter, if anyone can recommend a decent amp (under $75 I hope :S) that would be helpful, i'm sure I can live with solid state.
[/size]

Thanks for the help!

May 13, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 11
If you do a search for "d2000," there are many posts which will answer most if not all your questions.

Aside from that, I love my D2000. An amp, IMHO, helps make these babies really shine. Others may recommend something below $75, but you might want to consider the HeadRoom offerings at about $99 to $160 new and much less on the For Sale listings. Good luck and happy listening.

May 14, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 11
D2000 is the lingo eh? Got it!
Thanks for the advice, although the Headroom offerings save for the first two are laughable, as i'm not willing to dish out that kind of money. The first two they did have were both portable style. I don't know about the quality here, but I was hoping for something a tad bit more suitable for my desktop needs.

May 14, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 11
Congrats on the D2000

Work you way up to an amp, look in the for sale forum there are plenty of good deals on amps which are good with the D2000.

Ah almost forgot, Welcome to Headphone world.

Be warned, sooner of later you will probably find yourself with 2 - 3 sets of headphones and amps :p

May 14, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 11
lol, thanks DJ! I've previously owned a $50 pair of Sennheiser's from radioshack (late 90's cannot find the model, overear style, closed) and oh-so-fun KOSS 4AA's. I almost bought the AKG K240 Sextett's, but I thought these D2000's would make me the most happy.

I asked Fitz about these cans too, but he hasn't either replied, or logged on in a week.
frown.gif

Since I posted I've been looking up HP amps. I'm shocked at how all of the ones i'm finding, including the ones posted in FS are so damn pricey. I wholly understand the methodology of clean circuitry, but I don't want to spend the same amount on a HP amp as I would to power my 14" bass monitor.

Also I did search for D2000's on the forums, not overly helpful. Though someone recommended 40 hours of playing time to burn-in, sound about right?

I know burn-ing in will happen no matter what, but i'm guessing i'll have more success blasting Prodigy for 40 hours, opposed to John Denver.

May 14, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 11
Burn-in....some people believe in it totally, partially, or not at all. I say, as does many others, just use the hp for what you bought them for....to listen. If it gets better over time then consider it an added bonus.

May 14, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 11
~100 amp is the littledot mark 1+
~300 amp is the headdirect ef1

These actually need burn in as stupid as that sounds...just put a pillow in between them and crank it up with some stuff looping or some wavs off Burn-in wave files: white noise, pink noise, frequency sweep, channel mix

I would not mod them until you have done 1-2 weeks of burn plus a few weeks of listening.

May 14, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushNerd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
0020522000_3332.jpg

[size=small]Before considering weather I could actually afford these or not, I went ahead a bought the Denon AH-D2000 model phones (still in the mail). Me being a bass-head i'm sure i'll fricken love them.

($217 new W/shipping, good deal amirite?)

I don't know if burn-in time is the same for all phones or not, but if anyone has these Denons or a similar model, any tips would be welcome. Also I was wondering if any HP modders would or could do anything to improve these cans as well.

I know it's a sin around here to listen W/O an amp, but it will have to do for a while, hopefully my computer and stereo can drive the Denons well enough
( The Impedance is @ 1kHz: 25 ). To that matter, if anyone can recommend a decent amp (under $75 I hope :S) that would be helpful, i'm sure I can live with solid state.
[/size]

Thanks for the help!

Under $75 won't get you anything that will help out significantly amp-wise. Save your money for something better, and enjoy it without the amp, it'll still sound decent!

$217 shipped is good, just make sure you get them from an authorized dealer. There are some minor issues that pop up now and again with the higher end Denon 'phones, so you'll want a real manufacturer's warranty.

For burn-in, I just listen to the equipment and don't bother with pink noise. I really don't think there's much of a reason to do otherwise.

May 14, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 11
Thanks a lot for the input guys. I firmly believe that slightly loosening/working the paper cones (burn-in) from their factory state, will help with the overall tone of the cans. But I don't see a real point in using specific sine/square waves or noise in place of intense music.

I'll certainly let selections from my lossless iTunes list roll while I sleep when I get the phones for burn.

The amp situation still has me in a daze, but maybe Dbrim's right, it would be better to get an amp when I can spend a decent amount on it. I don't really know what to look for in one, but I guess I'll work on that later.

Maybe i'll post further on Mod suggestions later on.

May 21, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 11
My cans
biggrin.gif

Denon.jpg

Yipee! My Denon's came in the mail today (Buy.com shipping is pretty fast!)
What a quality product, these cans are almost a work of art. Right out of the box they fit great and are very snug. I was a little worried at first because they don't exactly cling to your head (this is a great thing) and i've been so accustomed to having to press the cans closer to your hears to make them more clear and the amp the bass up. NOT so with these, i'm so impressed. They don't even get any louder or go through a sound change that I could tell if you press them down, perfection.

I got so excited I immediately brought up "Fat of the Land" because this is a stone-cold standard for me and for bass reference. Smile-factor ensures, the low-frequency is spot on. These cans are beasts. The highs as expected arn't too precise or crunchy yet, but no problem I have much to do to these babies yet!

So my setup right now is X-fi Xtremegamer>Bose2.1(don't flame me)> then the Denon's through the volume knob jack. Surprisingly enough it drives the cans well and to an acceptable volume. I can immediately see the value and necessity of an amp now, that should clarify and balance out the tone more.

Holy crap I have to get to burning in, thanks Head-fi for MAKING me purchase these :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back