Denon AH-D2000 - trying to resolve the upper-mids (and buzz)
Feb 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Virtuoso80

New Head-Fier
So, as I posted in the 'are they worth it' thread, these Denons are impressing me tremendously with their quality and response. However, upon continued listening, there are some wrinkles that I can't seem to quite iron out.

There is something 'off' about the upper-mids on these cans. I seem to want more brightness and attack, especially coming off of my Grado SR-80's, but at the same time, there are frequencies that are too strong in the same range and seem to need cutting. The Denons, to their credit, respond like a champ to whatever EQ setting I throw at them, but I can't seem to find exactly the right sound.
A basic Itunes EQ is not up to the job, and, try as I might with Electri-Q, I can't find any tweaks that improve properly upon the 'flat' sound, yet I can't escape the notion that there is something off about the flat sound as well.

Also, I hate to say it, but there's a bit of buzz, or distortion going on. You hear it with low guitar notes, almost like someone gave a little bit of additional fuzz to the guitar sound. Is this a defect, or something that can be cured with tweaking/burn-in?

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 3
What track are you using to test them?  I listen to my D2000 headphones a ton and do not hear any buzz that is not already in the source material.

If I do not drive my D2000 just right I can hear a bit of brightness, but this I only hear going between using my m903 as a USB1 vs USB2 device.

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 3
I'm not sure about the buzz...now I'm trying it with another pair of headphones and hearing more distortion than before there too. Strange, I didn't really change anything! FYI, I'm running off a PC connected to an MBox2 as my DAC. I also have a Fiio E11, but found that adding it doesn't really improve the sound.

I'm trying out a lot of rock stuff. Classical sounds fine, but been playing some Tool (think about the guitar at the beginning of 'Jambi' for something that generates buzz), Dream Theater, Faith No More, whatever's in my playlist basically. It's weird, the Denons overall are less harsh than the Grados, but every now and then I'll have an "ouch" moment when a drum hit hurts my ears. I can't tell if it's the bass components of the hits or the upper-mid attack of it. It's almost like the Denons are too sensitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back