Denon AH-D2000 or D5000?
Oct 4, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your comments, pataburg--very helpful. Just a couple of things.

1. What is your music preference? I listen only to classical/orchestral; no pop, rock, rap or indeed any kind of vocal. I find preferences are very music dependent, and there's no doubt in my mind that the 650 is a great "classical" phone. (Incidentally I've never cared for the 600 in any form. Much too forward upper mid).

2. I get the impression from your comments that, though the d5000 is twice the price of the d2000, it's by no means twice as good. This is just an impression though.

3. What about comfort and general build quality? I've ruled out several phones due to poor comfort and, above all, random squeaking and creaking noises from the structure. I'd expect with the price of the Denon's that there'd be no problem, but I'm old enough to know that assumptions can be expensive.
smily_headphones1.gif

pp312,
Lately, I've been listening to more jazz, pop, easy listening, world and 70's/80's rock, although 65% of my disc collection is early/baroque/classical. For critical, classical and acoustic jazz listening, my go-to headphones are the K501. Between the two Denon, I prefer the D5000 for classical.

The price to performance curve is not linear in the domain between the price of the D2000 and the D5000, but like so much of what we purchase in the quest for better and better sound, we pay more for incrementally less [i.e. sonic improvement].

Both the D2000 and D5000 are very comfortable headphones. I've never had a build/quality issue with either of my pair, but I take pains to handle them very carefully.
pataburd

Nov 28, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the help. I went with the D5000s. Should receive them by the end of the week and I'll share my thoughts here.

Bump. Thoughts?

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #19 of 35
Are the D5000s so fragile that if I used them exclusively while lying in bed, such that they pressed against my pillow, they would break? I would lie only on my back, but there would be some pressure created.

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLightOn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the D5000s so fragile that if I used them exclusively while lying in bed, such that they pressed against my pillow, they would break? I would lie only on my back, but there would be some pressure created.

The Denon would fall right off your head since the earcups don't clamp on your head.

Dec 4, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLightOn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, they're not THAT fragile. The pillow would help buoy them up and keep them on your head, too. I've laid down wearing the D5000 with head-on-pillow plenty of times without incident.

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #23 of 35
Great news - they're once again my #1 choice! Thanks, pataburd.

Now I just have to make my equipment selections. pataburd or anyone else with Denon experience, I would love to hear your ideas!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've got $1000 USD total for the phones, any aftermarket cable and mods, and amp. Source will be purchased later; temporary source will be a Sansa Fuze playing FLAC files. My favorite music genres are progressive rock (like Pink Floyd) and electronica (like Shpongle or Portishead). I like a sound that can keep pace with this music but that's more smooth/slightly recessed than bright/in-my-face forward. Not overly colored, but not fatiguing.

For phones, I can go with the D2000 + APS v3 cable (and any easy mods I can do at home), or the D2000 + Markl mods, or the D5000 with no cable or mods. The amp I'm considering for these is the MF X-Can V8.

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randolph Duke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $332- I wouldn't mind picking them up and giving them a try.
But, Is ebay a safe place to get the 5000's?
What I mean to say is- they are true Denon- they are not fakes?

I think the cost of making a "fake woody" would defeat the purpose.
wink.gif

But $332, wow. Is that with the live cashback?

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #29 of 35
Yeah that's with the live cashback. However, the cashback has dropped to 8% now. So they are $381 on ebay.

I ended up buying the D2000s from buy.com for $197. Figured I'd start with the 2000s, and perhaps mod them/recable/add woodies in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back