Denon AH-D2000 or D5000?
Oct 1, 2008 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

HeatFan12

Headphoneus Supremus
Title says it all..Looking to buy some Denon's and my main question- Is the price difference worth it? I could go up to the D5000, however, if the difference is subtle, I'll get the 2000. Other than the wood cups are they substantially sonically superior to the 2000s? Also, I read before on build issues and screws falling out. Were those isolated incidents?

Ever since I received my I+, I have been curious about the Denons and how good this little amp drives low impedance phones, so would like to put the Ds to the test.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Jes

Oct 1, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 35
I can't tell you what the difference is, because I haven't heard both, but I can tell you that my D5000s are well over half a year old and still in perfect condition. I've been using them pretty much constantly. I'd say if you take good care of them (Don't pick them up wrong, don't set heavy things on them, etc.) then they should last. The D5000 is a pretty fragile device, but not to the extent that it will break no matter what you do.

On the issue of how large the difference is, I researched that fairly thoroughly when I was deciding which to get, and the conclusion I came to after reading around a lot is that the differences are fairly subtle, but easily noticable. If the price is really an issue, I think you could probably get the D2000 and eventually have it recabled if it bugs you too much, probably for less then the cost of a new D5000.

Oct 1, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 35
I've owned both, concurrently. As excellent as the D2000 are, IMHE the D5000 are sonically superior (more space, dimensionality; more resolving of detail across the frequency spectrum; better balanced; superior tonality and rendering of timbres, etc.).

I paid about twice the price of the D2000 for the D5000 and I would argue that the D5000 are well worth it.

Oct 1, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 35
Thanks for the responses. Very helpful. I really don't want to re-cable or extensively mod. Would like them ready to go out of the box.

It seems like the 5000s are winning me over at the moment. Would the 5000s be considered a good all around phone for different genres or do they tend to be better with a certain one?

Thanks

Oct 1, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 35
I'm a D5000 owner who had the same issue as you, I've never heard a D2000 but after research I decided to go for the D5000--mostly because the D2000 were reputed to need a recable to sound nearly as good.

The D5000s are pretty good for most everything, I'd say they're strongest though in rock and hip-hop and weakest in classical.

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

I really don't want to re-cable or extensively mod. Would like them ready to go out of the box.

I sympathize, since I also like all of my stuff ready to go right out of the box. I'd say definately go with the D5000, if you can afford it. If you're like me, it will nag at you forever if you don't.

Good luck on your choice
L3000.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 35
Without mods/recable I very much enjoyed both the D2000 and the D5000 and, personally, felt no overwhelming desire to have either modded, particularly after sufficient "break/burn-in."

IMHE, the D2000 and D5000--with preference given to the D5000--are both excellent all-rounders, giving a clean, balanced, detailed rendering in all the genres to which I listen, including early/baroque/classical. (Please note that I do not listen to Rap, Hip-Hop, Death Metal and the like, though.)

That said, I do have the K501 at-the-ready for acoustic jazz and classical when the mood dictates. : )

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeatFan12, wait for D7000, then do the selection...
In the meantime Heat needs decent PG... =)

LOL...Heat need more than a point guard...This will be a transition season, if everyone stays out of trouble...

I saw the 7000s and was reading the threads, however, I really can't see too much of a difference. Just spoke to Denon customer service, they will be @ retailers at the end of the month. I was advised that differences between the 5000 and 7000 are minimal.

Decisions, decisions...Itchy trigger finger with the 5000s...

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without mods/recable I very much enjoyed both the D2000 and the D5000 and, personally, felt no overwhelming desire to have either modded, particularly after sufficient "break/burn-in."

pataburg, do you have any experience of the Senn 650? I currently have one, am perfectly satisfied but would like a good closed model for when I need to block out noises. I really don't want to spend D5000 kind of money but wonder if I would be spoilt for the D2000 after 650s. Any thoughts?

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pataburg, do you have any experience of the Senn 650? I currently have one, am perfectly satisfied but would like a good closed model for when I need to block out noises. I really don't want to spend D5000 kind of money but wonder if I would be spoilt for the D2000 after 650s. Any thoughts?

pp312,
I've owned the HD650 on five different occasions, with as many evolutions of source and amplification, and with Cardas and RAL recables. IMHE (and I by no means declare my experience to be exhaustive), the HD650 sounded their best with the RAL Paradise Cryo-silver cable--a cable that really woke up the sleeping giant in the HD650--and the Bada PH-12 amp.

I've always favored the HD600 to the HD650, though, with the HD600 and Darkvoice 337 providing excellent synergy. My guess is tha the HD650 would fare well with the DV337, too.

IMHO, the closed D2000 would be a worthy introduction to the Denon sound for you: pleasingly forward, balanced, detailed and clean, and a good compliment to the comparatively laid back, "dark" character of the HD650. While I did not compare the D2000 directly against the HD650, I did a/b the stock/D2000 with the Cardas/HD600 and easily preferred the D2000.

After hearing the D5000, however, I sold my D2000. : ) As the D5000 near the end of "break-in," I am more and more convinced of their superiority over the D2000--as enjoyable as the D2000 are/were. Although less forward, I find the D5000 to offer better frequency balance, a larger, better ordered dimensional quality, superior extension and resolution, more rounded and fuller tones, and much more realistic instrumental timbres.

Given my listening preferences and the way I like to hear music reproduced through headphones, and recounting from my own history with the HD650, there's no question in my mind that I overwhelmingly prefer the D5000 to the HD650. Mind you, this refers to single-ended configuration. From what I've read, balancing the HD650 turns them into a different animal altogether. And I'd like one day to hear them balanced. : )

pataburd

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #14 of 35
After many cans through my system (HD580, 600, 650) (AH-D2000, AH-D5000) (JVC DX1000) (Grado RS1, !000's) (AKG 501, 701) - all amped with various quality sources and tube amps (ASL OTL 32, Cary 300SEI, DV337,
and others) - I have kept only AH-D5000's (stock) and HD600 w/ ZuMobius
(and yes, I tried Cardas, Stefan AA, and others). So, go figure. I do miss the K501's and wish I had not sold them. YMMV as always and everything is system specific IMO.

Oct 4, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, the closed D2000 would be a worthy introduction to the Denon sound for you: pleasingly forward, balanced, detailed and clean, and a good compliment to the comparatively laid back, "dark" character of the HD650. While I did not compare the D2000 directly against the HD650, I did a/b the stock/D2000 with the Cardas/HD600 and easily preferred the D2000.

After hearing the D5000, however, I sold my D2000. : ) As the D5000 near the end of "break-in," I am more and more convinced of their superiority over the D2000--as enjoyable as the D2000 are/were. Although less forward, I find the D5000 to offer better frequency balance, a larger, better ordered dimensional quality, superior extension and resolution, more rounded and fuller tones, and much more realistic instrumental timbres.

Given my listening preferences and the way I like to hear music reproduced through headphones, and recounting from my own history with the HD650, there's no question in my mind that I overwhelmingly prefer the D5000 to the HD650. Mind you, this refers to single-ended configuration. From what I've read, balancing the HD650 turns them into a different animal altogether. And I'd like one day to hear them balanced. : )

pataburd

Thanks for your comments, pataburg--very helpful. Just a couple of things.

1. What is your music preference? I listen only to classical/orchestral; no pop, rock, rap or indeed any kind of vocal. I find preferences are very music dependent, and there's no doubt in my mind that the 650 is a great "classical" phone. (Incidentally I've never cared for the 600 in any form. Much too forward upper mid).

2. I get the impression from your comments that, though the d5000 is twice the price of the d2000, it's by no means twice as good. This is just an impression though.

3. What about comfort and general build quality? I've ruled out several phones due to poor comfort and, above all, random squeaking and creaking noises from the structure. I'd expect with the price of the Denon's that there'd be no problem, but I'm old enough to know that assumptions can be expensive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back