Denon AH-D2000 or AH-D5000?
Sep 28, 2008 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

juswyq

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting one of these cans after hearing all the rave reviews around head-fi. Price and amp is a big factor here. In my current location, I could get a D2000 for USD290 or the D5000 for USD530. (Only 1 person selling em, yes, my options are limited) Thinking of getting a AH-D5000 and markl modding it. I love long term solutions, instead of constantly upgrading(and in the process losing out in terms of cash)

I have a ZERO DAC/AMP (w/ Moon/Earth/Sun Opamps) and a Darkvoice 337. From two very helpful people Skylab and pataburd, I've found out that the DV337 isn't really cut out to powering the D5000s.. So I'm quite stuck with the ZERO to power the Denons. I could mod the zero's amp to pair better with the denons.. (no idea how) or i could find tubes to pair better with the denons(dont really think this is a good idea). My options on an amplifier are limited; once i spend on the denon cans i'll be officially broke..
frown.gif

Or is this a bad idea and i should just forgo the denons and stick to my Senn HD650, and spend the funds somewhere else?

Sep 28, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 8
Hello,

I have been corresponding with the owners of Purity Audio--the makers of the KICAS Caliente and the regular KICAS. Skylab and other say these amplifiers sound fantastic. I asked if the KICAS amps would pair well with my 2005 Beyer DT 880/250's and this is a copy of the email one of the owner/amp designers sent me....

can't say specifically b/c I use a KICAS, but I love my D5000's, and from what I understand, the mixture with the D2000 should be good.

Hope that helps.

Oriel

Hi Oriel, Your answer was a BIG help! I already own the DT 880/250's. So I am definitely leaning towards the Caliente. In your opinion, which sealed headphones would be a good match with the Caliente? best regards,Keith

--- On Sat, 8/30/08, Oriel Mendelovitz <oriel.mendelovitz@

Sep 28, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by juswyq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Err.. sorry, what was the point of that post?

Sorry my cut and paste hack job was kind of confusing,

I thought the original poster was looking for an amp that would be a great match for the Denon 2000 or 5000. Skylab and other Head-fiers speak very highly of the KICAS and Oriel, the designer of the KICAS stated in an email to me that he owns the Denon 5000's and that they sound great with both versions of the KICAS.

regards

Sep 28, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 8
OP, there is a MarkL modded D5000 currently in the for sale forum. I am very tempted in picking it up since I have listened to that unit in the Orlando Mini Meet in August 16th.

The seller w/ whom I have no association is selling it at a very nice price. Good luck.

Sep 28, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 8
Well, I'm located in Malaysia so I don't think that option's for me. Doubt he ships to msia, and even if he does shipping will cost a bomb. Thanks for your help anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 8
Wait for D7000? Maybe I will. Thanks for your response.

I've been surfing around the forums and found out that there's been some discussion about D2000 vs D5000, the only difference between the two being the mahogany cups and the cable. Me being me, I like to have the best but my wallet doesnt always permit it. But between the D2000 and D5000 does the extra cash really do the D5000 justice? From what i extracted from the discussions, apparently the mahogany serves no purpose except for aesthetics.

Suppose I compare a markl modded D5000 against a markl D2000 with a D5000 cable, would there be a really big difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back