Denon AH-D2000 ... just received... Few problems?
Jan 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

nStyle

New Head-Fier
I just got these in the mail. I was pretty excited about trading up from the M50 to these.

After listening to these, I don't know if the positioning for me is as good as the M50.

I am using this to compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMkunPQMhN4

On the M50, the matchbox felt like it was literally in front of me, to the left, to the right, and directly behind. With the 2000, I the left and right channel don't even seem to separate. When I listened to this on the M50, I felt like the guy was literally next to me in the room. With the 2000, he seems distant and I can't tell where he is as well.

Also, in Windows, I set my speaker configuration to 7.1 and turn on Dolby Headphone and I press each speaker to test them out, and again, there is no differentiation between left and right and I can't tell a big difference between forward and backward.

I upgraded for gaming mainly (positioning/soundstage and comfort) but I am not seeing the big hype here.

Any tips / confirmations?

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 22

Quote:
I just got these in the mail. I was pretty excited about trading up from the M50 to these.

After listening to these, I don't know if the positioning for me is as good as the M50.

I am using this to compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMkunPQMhN4

On the M50, the matchbox felt like it was literally in front of me, to the left, to the right, and directly behind. With the 2000, I the left and right channel don't even seem to separate. When I listened to this on the M50, I felt like the guy was literally next to me in the room. With the 2000, he seems distant and I can't tell where he is as well.

Also, in Windows, I set my speaker configuration to 7.1 and turn on Dolby Headphone and I press each speaker to test them out, and again, there is no differentiation between left and right and I can't tell a big difference between forward and backward.

I upgraded for gaming mainly (positioning/soundstage and comfort) but I am not seeing the big hype here.

Any tips / confirmations?

7.1 on a standard 2 channel headphone?

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 22
That video is NOT Dolby headphone (I fail to see why the hell they labeled it as such). It is a binaural recording that works properly ONLY on 2 channel. Setting it to 7.1 or using actually multi-driver headphones would make the sound play incorrectly.

In any case, the M50 is one of the WORST headphones for actual Dolby headphone since they have a miniscule soundstage that doesn't give the depth necessary to have the proper virtual speaker imaging that Dolby Headphone can provide. The D2000 with REAL Dolby Headphone should be superior in all aspects to the M50.

To get Dolby Headphone I sure as hell hope you have an ACTUAL amp/soundcard that has Dolby Headphone built in, and are testing it out with a REAL Dolby Digital/Dolby Live signal. Dolby Headphone won't work properly otherwise.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 22
The title is a little misleading but the description explains it, although you may not agree with it: 
tongue_smile.gif

This is a binatural recording that will give you an idea of how Dolby Headphone works. Give it a listen and see why gaming headphones give you an advantage!

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 22
The title is a little misleading but the description explains it, although you may not agree with it: 
tongue_smile.gif

Lol, I think whomever posted that exact video took the words literally out of my mouth, as I literally worded it just like that on my gaming headphones thread.... I wonder who it is... :D

I didn't say binatural though. :cool:

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 22
All I am saying is I kept the SAME settings in Windows / STX config (yes I have a Dolby Headphone capable card...) and I still heard a considerable difference between the two. A HUGE difference. The M50 feels like I am there. The 2000 seems completely separated / neutral.

There is NO distinguishing between the virtual locations of the speakers in the multi-speaker setup configuration in Windows sound with the D2000. One cup doesn't sound any different than the other in these tests. Even if I put it in stereo, the left and right seems to still come from both speakers.

In other words... even in stereo tests, I hear the sound coming out of both cups with no distinct sound coming out of either cup.

What am I missing?

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 22
Just sounds faulty to me. Even though the headphones are different, DH shouldn't sound drastically different in presentation.

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 22
Got them from J&R.

The packing was dented a little but the cans themselves seem to be in excellent shape. 

I would just think that I would at least be able to distinguish between the left and right channel pretty easily... but I can't with these. Something has to be wrong. Even my music isn't sounding nearly as good or pronounced. I am really liking the M50 more and more compared to these. I suppose they will get sent back and swapped out...

Yep... I definitely just tested these again and pressed the "right" speaker and only held the left cup to my ear. Definitely heard sound in the left cup. In fact, it plays in both ears. There is no separation. Something is definitely wrong... though I don't understand how when there are two separate wires going go the cups.

[Edit] I plugged these into the onboard sound instead of the STX and the problem seems to be resolved. I never changed anything with the settings though? Could it be a problem with the 1/8 to 1/4 adapter?

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #12 of 22
So the problem is coming from either the STX or the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter.

When adapter is on and plugged into STX, I can't tell left from right because there is no separation. The sound also sounds more muffled. 

Any suggestions now?

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #13 of 22
Have you used the D2000 on another setup? Like plugging it in to your phone. Make sure it's not your D2000.

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #14 of 22
Yeah, like I said I plugged it into the onboard and everything sounded fine. I heard separation doing the Windows test and everything sounded much better. It sounds fine through my phone as well (bypassing 1/4 adapter in both cases)

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #15 of 22
Oh my bad. Didn't read that post.

Hmm... I'd say order another adapter (they're inexpensive), but then comes the wait... and it may not even be that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back