DENON AH-D2000 IEM (WITH A BIT MORE MIDS)
Oct 2, 2012 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

atomikn00b

500+ Head-Fier
Straight to the point.
I love the sound of my Denon AH-D2000s. However, they are not portable.

With this in mind, I am in search of an iem that mimics the sound of the D2Ks. 
If it has a better midrange without any change to the bass/subbas and treble regions, I would prefer it.

Thanks in advance.
Also. My price limit is $150.

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 16
I haven't found very many IEM's that sound like the D2000, much less with more mids. The TF10's sound similar to the D2000, but to me, their mids are rather recessed. Possibly even more than the D2000. Supposedly the Heir Audio 3.Ai are like the TF10, but with more mids, but I haven't had the opportunity to try a pair to confirm this yet. Unfortunately they're out of your price range also. :frowning2:

Hopefully someone can chime in with something more similar and in the price range. I really like the D2000 also. Sort of regret selling mine. 

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 16
I'd say ATH-CKS77 has the Denon sound in an IEM. Spacious with a U-shaped sound signature and a prominent sub-pass. 

If you want more mids go for the Sony XB90EX. 

To me the TF10's sound signature doesn't resemble D2000's layers/separation. 

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 16
Hmm I am more or less in the same boat as the OP, however I am on the budget of however much I can sell my D2000's if that's what I end up doing. I had always been after an analytical sound, and since the D2000's are my first pair of audiophile-grade cans, I don't really know what else is out there. I think these are really analytical because the level of detail is staggering compared to anything I've previously heard, but my understanding is that there are much more analytical phones out there. I would also like more portable/isolating than the D2000 mostly because if I'm at home, which is really only when I listen to these anyway, I have a pair of Yamaha HS50M's and an HS10W sub that frankly deliver more than any pair of headphones ever will. That being said, I don't want to give these up and end up with IEM's that leave me disappointed. I was considering that the proceeds from the D2000's could go towards Ety's but, honestly, do non-custom IEM's even compare?

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
I'd say ATH-CKS77 has the Denon sound in an IEM. Spacious with a U-shaped sound signature and a prominent sub-pass. 

If you want more mids go for the Sony XB90EX. 

To me the TF10's sound signature doesn't resemble D2000's layers/separation. 

going for the Sony XB90EX does not mean sacrificing bass/subbbass does it?

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
going for the Sony XB90EX does not mean sacrificing bass/subbbass does it?

I don't think so. I don't have the IEM's, but these reviews seem to match what you are looking for.

This is what Dannyboi stated about the xb90ex:

"They did a good job tuning these.  Vocals sound good, not too forward but definitely not recessed.  Treble is smooth, no sign of sibilance.  Not on the level of detail the JVC FXD series.  These are for sure bass cannons.  The bass sort of reminds me of the Aurisonics ASG 1.2's.  No mid bass hump, deep sub-bass.  Listening to Nas-Cherry Wine and Amy Winehouse's voice sounds fantastic. 

It might be the best big bass I've heard in an iem.  Just drops deep and rumbles.  The soundstage is massive but it's soooo good.  The FXD80's and 60's aren't so bad compared but the 70's just sounded compressed after hearing the Sony's.  After the comparisons with the JVC's, the treble on the Sony's are not bad at all.  There is plenty of sparkle and I still think the vocals are very good also.  I have around 20 hours on them now.  These rank pretty high boys and girls. They do cost more than the FXD80's but for me the price is justifiable for the soundstage and bass depth alone.  I love bass and soundstage in iem's and headphones but not when it's not done well and fatiguing.  I do not get that with the Sony's.  These sound like full size open headphones and are better than the XB1000's at about half the price.  I also prefer these over the EX1000's which was amazing but the fit and the piercing treble was a deal breaker."

Dsnut's Review of the xb90ex:

"
 Right from open box. One word that comes to mind. Smooooooth. These have a very smooth sound. The Sub bass on these are unreal. I have no doubts in my mind these reach vibration levels. These remind me of a much better  Velodyne vpulse. The sub bass is so strong on these much like the vpulse but don't sacrifice the other frequencies..These are definitely bass earphonesX10. Some of the hardest hitting sub bass rumble I have heard on any earphone. They sound a bit like my EX600 but with an added 16in Sub woofer. I have to compare the XB90 to the Vpulse and ASG-1s. I can see why Danny mentions the ASG-1..The rumble in the jungle I like to call it. The bass is outragious on these. These easily have the stage and depth of the CKS77s but with with a smoother tighter tuning over them. The highs are rolled off on these which makes them an easy listening experience for any tune. Guys that prefer their sound to be smoother warmer with authoritative low lows these are for you.

No bass boost needed. Lol.  I can tell you guys these are definitely my favorite Sony sound I have ever heard from Sony..These are the very definition of high end bass earphones.(Musical). These let you get immersed into your tunes. You are surrounded by your music. Just an absolutely beautiful non fatiguing sound.

There is no obligation, no commitment to this sound. It is just pure enjoyment. I know guys have followed my CKS77 thread and I have to say these are the official upgrades to that sound..The CKS77 have many similarities to these new Sony XB90 but the tuning on these Sonys are at a higher level..I can tell the quality of the 16mm Dynamic driver that is being used in these are tops. Just enjoyableX10. These weren't made to be reference or neutral or anything of the sort. These were made so you can feel your basslines and get lost in your music.I think these have the best mids I have heard to date on a bass earphone which makes all my tunes sound proper and not overly bass heavy.  But when a bass line calls for power. POWER is what you get.  These are what you need on a vacation. These are what you listen to sippin on a margarita enjoying your music."

Marlonmarabe's Review of xb90ex:

"
The Sub bass are the main focus here. Just deep pounding. The mids are not recessed. Highs are silky smooth but lacks a bit of extension. Nonetheless, these are like a basshead audiophiles dream come true. The bass alone is worth the price. Certainly sounds like the xb1000 without recessed mids and highs. The presentation and soundstage is very good too. Doesnt sound congested.

________________________________________________________________________________

So, I am not sure if they sound anything like the d2000, but I hope this gave you a better idea of the sony's sound like. 
I hope this helped! =)

Oct 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #9 of 16
wow. fantastic post.
If I wanted to promote the XB90EX, I'd do exactly what you just did.
Thanks.

Can someone do the same for the other iems on the list?
Though I am now leaning heavily towards them, jumping to the conclusion that the XB90EX is the best just because of these reviews wouldn't be objective of me.

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
wow. fantastic post.
If I wanted to promote the XB90EX, I'd do exactly what you just did.
Thanks.

Can someone do the same for the other iems on the list?
Though I am now leaning heavily towards them, jumping to the conclusion that the XB90EX is the best just because of these reviews wouldn't be objective of me.

Haha thanks.

Sorry I cannot give you that for other IEMs yet. Like you, I have just started to venture into the portable section of the forums, about 2 weeks, looking for a portable dt990 haha. Hopefully I can pick one soon to purchase. =)

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #13 of 16
Well, I'm not a basshead. I just reeeeally love subbass. 
And I got those two because I was lucky enough to get a deal on them (both for 170).
Of course they are used, but barely. 
I hope they aren't bass light. And if they are, I'm sure some other factor will make me want to keep them anyway while I continue on my search and try the xb90's.

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #14 of 16
well. I have them both in my possession now.
The FXT90 is NOT bass light. I enjoy it. but I want more subbass and less harshness.

On the other hand. I see why the re262 receives so much praise.
I'm in love with the mids on these things. The bass is nowhere near what I want (I can hear it but not feel).
But these mids. so beautiful. I know that there are iems that should and can do better, but it's my first time experiencing such mids in a relatively inexpensive iem.

So at this point. I'll use the fxt90s for a few more weeks to see if the harshness goes down. I'll also use the re262s just for those mids.
If the harshness doesn't go down after a few weeks, I'll sell both and try the eph100 and the xb90ex

by the way. where'd you get all those reviews from? I'm wondering if they compared them to any other iems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back