Denon AH-D2000 - Hard to drive?
Nov 4, 2009 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rodneymjones

Head-Fier
I bought a pair of Denon D2000's a few years ago (post). I was very unimpressed with them because I couldn't get enough volume for my old ears. Shortly after, I bought a pair of HD650's and retired the Denon's to the closet. Tonight I decided to pull then Denon's out and give them another listen. I'm listening to some of Wynton Marsalis' classical recordings and I've got to say, they are incredibly clean. But, I still just can't get near the volume through my Little Dot MKV that I do with my HD650's.

Anyone think the lack of volume might be a cabling issue or are the Denon's just that hard to drive? I'm not an electrical engineer, so I'd appreciate some advice on what to check for if you think it's a hardware issue.

-RJ

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 2
Headroom: Quote:

Despite the AH-D2000's seemingly efficient low impedance rating of only 25 ohms, it is not a particularly sensitive headphone so there's no question it will demand a terrific headphone amp behind it to hear what it can truly accomplish, otherwise it may tend to sound flat and lifeless from portable audio sources especially.

Do you use the D2000 for home/portable use? Get a Headroom amp. They make quite good amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back