Denon AH-D2000 Arrives (pictures)
Mar 29, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #31 of 35
Seems like this is a good place to toss out a quick D2000 story. I have owned mine for a few years now or very close to it. And yes, still can't stand the cable, but have always liked the sound.

Last year I got my Edition 8's and sadly my Denon's have not had a lot of head time since. This past weekend I sat down to watch the 2nd part of HBO's The Pacific. I plugged my D2000's into my Yamaha 465 receiver. Decent low to midline receiver. I was running the sound in Direct mode. During a fighting scene early into the episode, there was a sound of gunfire from behind me and it scared the hell out of me! Of course that ruined the show for me for about a half hour because I had to grab my Edition 8 and re run the scene....and many scenes afterwards. I have to say that the D2000 outperformed my Edition 8 in the "Surround Sound" effect. Really didn't expect that because the Ultrasone's are billed as surround sound type headphones.

Anyway, I hope you really enjoy your new cans!! Mine have reentered my world in a new capacity.

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #32 of 35
Nice phones... enjoy!

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
During a fighting scene early into the episode, there was a sound of gunfire from behind me and it scared the hell out of me! Of course that ruined the show for me for about a half hour because I had to grab my Edition 8 and re run the scene....and many scenes afterwards. I have to say that the D2000 outperformed my Edition 8 in the "Surround Sound" effect. Really didn't expect that because the Ultrasone's are billed as surround sound type headphones.

icon10.gif
that's interesting to hear, but do you not like the sound stage and separation the D2000 produces, does it overdose surround sound effect?

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They will indeed squeeze the head a bit harder, but this prevents them from sliding around as they usually do, so it is not a bad thing at all. I am not sure that I am a minority in saying it, but the J$ pads feel more comfortable to me, and I have a rather large head. Your ears certainly sweat less with actually leather instead of pleather. They will tighten the bass somewhat and bring forward the mids, in my experience, which are both benefits when concerned with the Denons over-active bass and recessed middle frequencies. They also improve the soundstage a lot. I cannot quantify it, but the difference is immediate and, all of a sudden, it is much easier to 'separate' the elements of decently recorded, dynamic music. I do not think that the pads affect isolation at all.

By noticing this big difference, I guess I will get a pair of J$ pads. But, can I always switch back to the pleather ones, or the remod of the J$ pads is permenent? I may sometime like the feeling of the softer pads.

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by FL210 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif
that's interesting to hear, but do you not like the sound stage and separation the D2000 produces, does it overdose surround sound effect?

I actually like the sound stage quite a bit. Always have. It's a very large soundstage for a closed headphone. I think the surround sound effect is perfect. Those noises were meant to come from behind me. It just caught me off guard because they were REALLY behind me. It also caught me so off guard because they just straight up out performed my Edition 8's. It was a nice revelation for sure. I don't normally use my D2000's for movies or tv viewing. Or should I say...didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back