Denon AH-D2000 Arrives (pictures)
Mar 28, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by FL210 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will definitely try the amp. Well the D5000 requires an amp much more than the D2000. The sound coming from my Cowon iAudio 7 by the D2000 directly is trememdously enjoyable.

the D2000 and 5000 share pretty much the same drivers from what I know, and the only differences are the cable and the wooden cups,so I guess they need amplification just the same.
anyway,I am sure the sound out of your I7 is also heavenly...I admire cowon players in general,they have really great sound.
but again,try them with the amp and you will see....or hear
tongue_smile.gif

less than adaquete amplification is not even an option...for any headphone.
cowon players are great,but they don't give adaquete aplification for demanding headphones. my PK2 sound amazing through my D2 though.

enjoy in the meantime mate!

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would consider the improvement much greater than 5%. They are a VERY NOTICEABLE improvement over the stock pads. They are approx. 3x wider and therefore situate the ear further away from the drivers. This has a BIG impact on soundstage and attenuates the sound signature in a very pleasant way.

I reckon the original pads are huge enough for my ears, around 3 plus inches, can't imagine how big will 3X wider big be, 9 inches?

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

At this point I have no plan to recable or replace pads of it yet, I think it's a little overated that cable/pads replacementcan improve the sound signature much. Unless the improvement is over 5% of total performance, otherwise I would regard it as unnecessary.

Well, I am very much a layman in audio, but here's my analytical thought process, if it helps:

1) Mods: Lawton Audio is of the view that the dampening in the Denons is lacking, causing "the occasionally overwhelming bass response of the powerful 50mm drivers can cause the entire headphone frame and assembly to vibrate and rattle in time to the low bass notes. The bass on these cans is loose and somewhat sloppy, intruding on the lower mids..." This to me makes sense, and there are members on head-fi who agree, so adding dampening to the headphone seems to be a good solution. I have not tried a modded D5000, however, so I cannot draw on personal experience as others can.

2) Pads: Both the Lawton mods and JMoney pads do this. I cannot verify it's more than 5% incremental improvement, other members should have a more informed opinion *shrug* Whether you like lambskin is another issue, I would definitely prefer lambskin over peather.

3) Cups: The best evidence that cups can make a difference is from Tyll's blog, this article on the Denons. Tyll notes that "the D5000 has slightly less material removed from within the cup, and is slightly rougher and not painted; the D7000 is roomier in the cup and better finished." So there is evidence different cups changes sound quality, but apparently the D7000's drivers have a stronger magnet, so it's not the only factor.

Debates like cable are beyond me.

But no pressure, mate! If you like the D2000 stock, there's no need to rush in. Enjoy the warranty, at least. I'm not sure about the cost/benefit either, I'm probably to get my D5000's modded before going further with other upgrades.

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
less than adaquete amplification is not even an option...for any headphone.
cowon players are great,but they don't give adaquete aplification for demanding headphones.

This is very true.
I can't wait to touch my LDMK IV (now sits in China).
BTW, I also love the Cowon players, had the D2 for a while but returned for battery life issue, the machine demands a lot power than the iAudio 7, though with better sound signature.

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

This is very true.
I can't wait to touch my LDMK IV (now sits in China).
BTW, I also love the Cowon players, had the D2 for a while but returned for battery life issue, the machine demands a lot power than the iAudio 7, though with better sound signature.

is the LDMK IV is a tube or SS amp? sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #22 of 35
Thank you, YPok, for your advice.
Seems like there are a lot jobs to be done to get the full potential of the D2000 out.

Hope to hear someone who has done a step by step comparison of what is the difference from each remod job. Though surely everyone has own taste of the difference if any.

Mar 28, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #23 of 35
Just enjoy musics coming out from your Denon for now.. There's plenty of time to upgrade later.

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #25 of 35
Tube amp is quite suitable for D2000. In the beginnig, I used the SS amp. I felt the sound of d2000 is kind of "sticky". It means the background music and voice cannot be seperated, and the speed is slow as well.

Then I tried tube amp. The feature of Amperex is pretty benign to D2000. It makes the sound more transparent and accelerate.

001.jpg

005.jpg

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

I reckon the original pads are huge enough for my ears, around 3 plus inches, can't imagine how big will 3X wider big be, 9 inches?

The pad depth is what I was referring to. The stock pads are a lot softer and more susceptible to compression; the J$'s a lot stiffer and at least 2-3x 'deeper'. Yes, perhaps that is the better way to put it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

It is a tube one. Here is a link, a thorough review of this amp, http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...mkivse-266751/

thanks for the link, and I hope there will be a good synergy with this amp and the D2000.
I know my D5000 loves SS amps and not so much tube amps,including my hybrid EF1 (it is ok,but not even close to my headroom stack in performance).

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pad depth is what I was referring to. The stock pads are a lot softer and more susceptible to compression; the J$'s a lot stiffer and at least 2-3x 'deeper'. Yes, perhaps that is the better way to put it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sampson, in what aspects will the J$ pads increase/decrease the D2000 performance, sound signature, isolation, separation, details? With 2-3 times thicker, will the J$ pads squeeze head harder than the original soft pads?

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #29 of 35
They will indeed squeeze the head a bit harder, but this prevents them from sliding around as they usually do, so it is not a bad thing at all. I am not sure that I am a minority in saying it, but the J$ pads feel more comfortable to me, and I have a rather large head. Your ears certainly sweat less with actually leather instead of pleather. They will tighten the bass somewhat and bring forward the mids, in my experience, which are both benefits when concerned with the Denons over-active bass and recessed middle frequencies. They also improve the soundstage a lot. I cannot quantify it, but the difference is immediate and, all of a sudden, it is much easier to 'separate' the elements of decently recorded, dynamic music. I do not think that the pads affect isolation at all.

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Folex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everything about the 2k's are awesome except the cord. You will grow to hate it

Yeah, cord is definitely annoying.

I wasn't too impressed with my D2000 at first, but I am pretty happy with it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back