Denon AH-D1001K for $80?
Aug 1, 2008 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

JuanM

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, so I apologize for any "obvious" questions.

I have a pair of ER-6i I bought 6 months ago to replace my aging PX-100, and I've been happy with them except for two things. First, they don't have much bass, and second, they're uncomfortable after 1 hour. However, I do love all the detail I can hear with them.

I've been reading, and searching, and found the D1001k for 80.99 at amazon. They seem to be a good choice.

Should I buy them, or should I keep looking?

Thanks

ps: I listen mostly to Rock and Classical music

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 22
Rock and classical...Does anyone know how well the Grados are for classical? Juan, you may want to look into getting the Grado SR-60/SR-80 since you listen to those music genres.

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 22
You are certainly going to get a bigger sound and a jump in SQ going with the D100x. They really are a nice compact headphone and very comfortable. Nice controlled bass presence too. The other cool thing with the Denons is they scale well. Meaning, you will realize an increase in SQ if you amp them. $81 for the D100x is very good.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 22
be ready for a huge improvement over the er6i, they are also extremely comfortable, good purchase, i love them.

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 22
A few questions for those of you who bought these: Are the earcups generously sized? How is the isolation? Do they need to be amped or will they work fine with an mp3 player?

Thanks a lot.

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 22
The earcups are sized to fit most, so unless you're Daniel Craig, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

The isolations is ok; There are better headphones for that, but these don't really leak.

They work fine by themselves, but truely shine with an amp

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 22
i would consider the isolation quite poor. I tried them on an airplane and i was very disappointing, however they are a huge improvement over an open design for public use. Maybe my opinion is skewed from using hd280s for the past year.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 22
I got in on the same Amazon deal and so far I'm not disappointed. I plan on using them for my portable. SQ is very good for the $, they're compact, comfortable and they don't look half bad. Very little isolation for a closed can but they do a good job of keeping the sound from leaking out, which is more important to me.

You may want to look into the Sennheiser line as well since they're running the rebate deals. Some good, affordable stuff there.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should I buy them, or should I keep looking?

Thanks

ps: I listen mostly to Rock and Classical music

Yes, they are a good choice. If you find the ER6i a bit lacking in bass, you are going to go "oh yeeees" once you hear the D1001

As a ER6i owner, my D1001 should be arriving this weekend
wink.gif

I do agree the isolation is very poor though, but they should still sound ok out of an iPod (which is exactly the way I am planning to use them, my knockaround work headphones)

Aug 2, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would consider the isolation quite poor. I tried them on an airplane and i was very disappointing, however they are a huge improvement over an open design for public use. Maybe my opinion is skewed from using hd280s for the past year.

Same here, it is a 7/10 when used on plane, good thing is that it doesn't leak much, so i can turn on the volume as high as i want. I think it is perfect for work, library and public transitting. I find it sounds amazing w/ and w/o an amp, in fact, i can't tell the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back