Denon AH-D1001 w/ iPod?
Dec 15, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #16 of 22
Audio Technica ES7?

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #17 of 22
In that price range, I also recommend taking a look at M-Audio Q40. Unlike many other headphones, it doesn't need an amp at all. It sounds absolutely fine straight out of a portable with very tight and deep bass, sweet midrange and well extended, detailed treble. They do lack some air in the mids and highs but the sound is far from dull or boring - they are actually very lively and fun cans, arguably more so than most other closed headphones in that price range. However, they do need quite a bit of burn in to sound their best. Out of the box, the treble is a somewhat harsh and the soundstage really lacks depth, however after 80 or so hours of playing time they settle down and the sibilance almost disappears while the soundstage seems to become a bit deeper and wider. Also, even though the Q40s don't need an amp, they do improve with better sources - the sound clears up and the bass becomes absolutely thunderous! (in a good way, like listening to a very good subwoofer that provides tight and powerful bass without overpowering the rest of the spectrum).

Dec 15, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenio851121 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about dt860?

i do not think it is useful for ipod to use amp

so, just a 32 om headphone will be ok

ipod can not give you a good quality

I auditioned Beyerdynamic DT860 at a local store a few months ago and really liked it. It does sound great straight out of weak sources, like portable players with terrific soundstage and imaging and great detail. However, it has elevated treble and sounds quite bright, so people who prefer warm sound might not like it. Also, DT860 is an open headphone, so it is pretty useless for use in noisy environments and quite public places, like libraries due to sound leakage. Finally, it's pretty darn expensive at $299 US on ebay.

Dec 15, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #19 of 22
I own both : the D1001, and the M50

Unamped from the same DAP .... I prefer the D1001

That said, when I finish my starving student amp, I may

have to change my preference. we will see ..........

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #20 of 22
How would the D1001 sound with either a Total Bithead or PA2V2 amps?

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #21 of 22
I use denons from a pod straight, and also with standard amp and the difference is not very much. I'd bet that a simple 15 dollar rewire will do you more than an amp on these cans. They get so much better wiht a rewire and some burn in. for a reference my pod can play these loud enough to be heard off my head from across a quite room, idk if this matters but the pod sure seems to drive them fine.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would the D1001 sound with either a Total Bithead or PA2V2 amps?

They sound great with either of those 2. I am using my 1001 with a BSG CMOY and they sound excellent. All you need is a little extra juice and these things sound fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back