Denon AH-D1001 or JVC HA-RX900?
Mar 6, 2009 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ScoHo

New Head-Fier
I'm currently in the market for a sub $150 set of phones. Been reading up the last few days (had no idea there was such a community out there for headphones!), and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two. I know these both fall well below my budget, but nothing else I've read about closer to $150 seem to compare to these two. I would be open to doing the mods to either one (but not recabling).

For the most part, I will be listening to them through my home theater pre-amp (how does this compare to actually having a separate headphone amp?), but may hook them up to my iPod Video (5.5 gen) occasionally. Isolation and containment is not a huge issue for me - just want whatever sounds better, and are comfortable.

I listen to mostly progressive rock, with some jazz fusion and acoustical stuff mixed in.

After doing a lot of reading up on both of these, it seems anyone who has heard both of them seems to prefer the JVC's hands down. Is there anyone out there that's heard both and prefers the Denon's?

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sw33t.Shuga.Ray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you read about grados? audio technicas? read more...

I have. The Grado's don't seem like they're up my alley as I'm looking for something more circumaural. I do like what I saw of some of the Audio Technicas. It just seems the D1001 and RX900 are overall more preferred in the sub $150 price range.

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 13
Audio Technica ATH AD700's sound like they'd be more up your alley. They don't have a ton of bass, but are great for Jazz, acoustic and movies.

I have heard both the HAR-X900 and the Denon AH D1001. I prefer the D1001. The X900's seemed a little dark for my tastes. The D1001's are kind of mid-scooped sounding.

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #6 of 13
Both of these could be good for you... Depending on what you wanna spend the Victor's are cheaper but a tad larger im sure. The Denon's are insanely comfortable and sound great for the price!

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJDyn0mite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
d1001 by a clear mile

I disagree. Have you heard the RX900 or are you just speculating? Not trying to be nasty, I'm just wondering. A lot of people have been speculating and interpolating sound based on what they've read, and that doesn't help anybody.

Both are good headphones. But I don't think the d1001 is worth twice the price of the RX900. In fact, I prefer the RX900 slightly. But I like the RX700 more than the RX900 so I can comfortably say the RX700 is quite a bit more refined than the d1001.

The reason that I own both is because the RX700 is quite large. I use the D1001 at work because its very portable and has a similar sound signature, just not as nice as the RX700. Both are very comfortable with a slight edge going to the RX700 because the cups are large enough that they don't touch your ears whereas the D1001 does.

If you don't need portability you should def go with the RX700. And its less than a third of the price of the D1001.

I also wanted to mention the AD700 and SR60 as people will most likely try to get you into these phones as well. It sounds like they would work out well for you as it doesn't appear you require a lot of bass or depth, which neither of these phones does well. So you'd probably be happy enough with them too. But I encourage you to see what the bass and depth can do to your music. I listen to all kinds of music, and although people say the AD700 is a good jazz or acoustic headphone, I much prefer listening to this music through the RX700 or even D1001.

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks everyone for the input.

Perhaps I shouldn't have even mentioned the jazz fusion/acoustical part because that's probably only 20% (or less of my listening). I listen to mostly progressive rock (old and new - King Crimson, Genesis (Peter Gabriel singing), Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree, The Flower Kings, Rush, Yes, etc). So basically a broad mix of instruments. But I'm definitely not a basshead with music (only with movies, which I would not be using the headphones for).

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 13
I haven't heard the A700 but most people seem to feel that the AD700 is superior to the A700, and the RX700 is more comparable to the A900. But you're looking at $30 for the RX700 vs. $230 for the A900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back