Denon AH-D1001 my pick after today's testing
Jul 8, 2010 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hotto

New Head-Fier
So I went on a testing spree today. I intend to get a new pair of phones for my small sized head, within a $140 budget. These are the models I have tested so far:

AKG K271
ATH M50
Beyer DT770
Denon AH-D1001
Sennheiser 25, 280 Pro, 380 Pro, 555
Shure SRH 440 and 840

Couldn't unfortunately get a hold of the Senns 448, which I have read much about and which seem to fit my iPod needs perfectly (comfortable, HQ sound, isolation).

From my experiences I must say that the Denons are extraordinary. Supercomfy, great sound, decent isolation, lightweight, and an OK built quality. The only con I could find with them was the lack of a coiled cable, which therefore might add a fragility to the phones. 

The AKGs were comfy, but the lack of bass and weak overall sound together with the annoying auto-shut off function ruled them out. The ATHs on the other hand were quite heavy on the bass, and also expressed a pitchy middle whenever high notes were present. 

The Sennheiser models were my first pick, and I must say that both the 280 and 380 still are considered possible purchases. The 25 however was not comfy at all, and the 555 model leaks too much sound due to their opened-back style. (The 555s are superb phones however, both when it comes to comfort and sound IMO).

The Beyers were okay, but just not too good-looking and a bit heavy on the head. Same goes for the Shure models.

The Denons are at this moment for sale on HeadRoom for $109, does anybody know a better deal, then please share with me? Also, any further comments are very welcome!

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 8
Are they really the exact same phones? Because if they are the same weight and fit on your head, then I see no point spending an extra $30 bucks on a brand name. And what about the isolation and leakage, same as well?

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Just to prevent any confusion, the correct model number for the Denons is AH-D1001 (rather than AD-H1001).

Yeah, thanks boston...i just figured out that. 

I was thinking on possibly a new model. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back