Denon AH-D1001 first impressions
Sep 10, 2008 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ounkchicago

100+ Head-Fier
Just got the Denon AH-D1001 two weeks ago. Price was about $80 online after discounts. Logged about 100 total hours on these, after about 24 hours of initial burn-in. I didn't notice any perceptible change throughout the burn-in process, in contrast to most other headphones that I've owned.

As you probably already know, these are very lightweight, circumaural sealed cans. They possess the rare quality of having very low isolation but high comfort for a sealed can. I use them at work in a cubicle farm, and I can still hear if someone is addressing me from about 20 feet away. Leakage, on the other hand, is more pronounced. I think someone 5 feet away could hear some sound leaking out, but someone 10 feet away might not hear anything unless the volume was turned up excessively loud. It has an interesting dual-entry short cord design with an extension cord included. This was obviously designed for the portable user in mind.

The sound quality is very impressive at this price point. The frequency response is U-shaped. This means that there is very strong bass (particularly mid-bass) and well-articulated but not a very bright treble. The mids are slightly recessed compared to say, Grado or AKG, but not so much that they ruin the overall balance. There is good detail and resolution for fast-moving music (like rock), but the soundstage is small. They sound like headphones, not like speakers.

They sound like the headphone version of a $200 or so 2.1 computer speaker set up. Much like most inexpensive 2.1 computer speaker systems, the bass integration isn't completely seamless. Rather, it sound to me like I have the "bass boost" feature permanently turned up. Similarly, like a 2.1 speaker system, the trebles are very clear, but at the slight expense of mid-range accuracy (a common flaw of many 2.1 speaker systems). They remind me of Bose Triport headphones or the less expensive Bose speaker systems, but with a less exaggerated frequency response and more realistic bass.

Alas, this permanently jacked up bass in the AH-D1001 is what prevents it from being a baby audiophile headphone. Using a hi-fi source (Cambridge 840C) and a powerful desktop amp (Little Dot MK IV SE) the bass was completely over the top -- far too much bass quantity, although it was well-controlled. I guess if you were a bass head this might be a good thing but I generally prefer a more balanced frequency response.

So if it wasn't good to use with a hi-fi setup, how does it sound on a low-fi setup, such as an iPod or a computer sound card? In a word, brilliant. Or in five words, a match made in heaven. It seems like the AH-D1001 was specifically tuned to be used with these low-fi devices with no additional amplification -- partly because these devices tend to roll off the treble slightly and lack the juice to produce powerful bass. So paired with the U-shaped frequency response of the AH-D1001, the result is a very balanced sound.

In conclusion, the AH-D1001 did not mate up well with my audiophile-quality gear. But when paired with an iPod or a computer headphone jack, this headphone is in its element. I recommend it for use with computers -- it'd be good for listening to music, podcasts, watching videos on YouTube, or watching movies. Although the form factors seems suited for portable use, its relatively high leakage, low isolation, and relatively large size (for a portable) would discourage me from using this as a portable.

Most importantly, the AH-D1001 delivers good SQ and clarity in an extremely comfortable package. This headphone dethrones my AKG K240 Studio as my new most-comfortable work headphones. After 3 days of testing the AH=D1001, I packed up my K240 Studio to take it home. At this price point I don't think any other headphone comes close in terms of overall SQ, comfort, and value. Great alternative to Bose as well.

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 18
Literally just received my AH-D1001s, about 15 minutes ago. Bought them for office use, replacing the PX100s I managed to convince about 7 people to buy. I was amazingly tempted to go for some 595s, but the fear of sound leakage annoying co-workers led me to try these, after scouring these forums for alternatives.

First thought: nice feeling pads
smily_headphones1.gif

Switching from the PX100 to the AH-D1001, I thought "wow, these are really bright", and then after listening for a while and switching back to PX100 I thought "wow, PX100s are really muddy"
biggrin.gif

I'm far from experienced with Audiophile gear, so I can't really come out and say "these are good sq cans", but they are certainly different to the PX100, seem more clear. More listening time necessary of course, break-in period and whatnot.

Thus begins the upgrade cycle...
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fluxcore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Literally just received my AH-D1001s, about 15 minutes ago. Bought them for office use, replacing the PX100s I managed to convince about 7 people to buy. I was amazingly tempted to go for some 595s, but the fear of sound leakage annoying co-workers led me to try these, after scouring these forums for alternatives.

First thought: nice feeling pads
smily_headphones1.gif

Switching from the PX100 to the AH-D1001, I thought "wow, these are really bright", and then after listening for a while and switching back to PX100 I thought "wow, PX100s are really muddy"
biggrin.gif

If I were to recommend two "office cans" I would consider those two as well. Obviously the PX100 has its limitations because of its open design, but it's still a pretty awesome sounding headphone for its price range.

But having said that, the D1001 trounces all over it in terms of SQ. I think you made the right decision. The D1001 is a very nice upgrade for very little extra money.

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice review. One question, are the mids organic sounding?

If by "organic" you mean "natural" I would say only somewhat. The mids are pretty accurately presented for a can in this price range. It is just that they are recessed relative to the enormous bass.

If you are strictly talking about the quality, balance, and organic-ness of the mids, I would skip the Denons and go for AKGs. For example, my K240 Studio and K701 are my favorite cans for mids. But the AKGs may have other flaws that you might not like. They are both very different cans compared to the D1001K.

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #8 of 18
well for the same price range, the sennheiser 555s beat the k240s when speaking about organic mids IMO so the one to beat for the denons are the senns I guess. I really do not understand why many headfiers don't like the hd555s, I guess it might be because most people looking for cans in that price level arent looking for cheap audiophile sound instead are looking for some powerful bassy cans that have decent mids and highs.

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

well for the same price range, the sennheiser 555s beat the k240s when speaking about organic mids IMO so the one to beat for the denons are the senns I guess. I really do not understand why many headfiers don't like the hd555s, I guess it might be because most people looking for cans in that price level arent looking for cheap audiophile sound instead are looking for some powerful bassy cans that have decent mids and highs.

I'm not sure about the HD555s because I've never heard them. But I have heard the HD595s which were pretty good.

But the main issue here is form factor. The HD555 and HD595 are completely open designs, so they are not really well suited for work in a leakage-sensitive environment. By the same token, it's difficult to compare the PX-100 with the AH-D1001.

Sep 12, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

just for getting a better grasp on the d1ks sound, how would you rate them against the 595s for sound quality alone

I think the HD595 is slightly better, but it's also an unfair comparison. The HD595 is both more expensive and it's also an open design, while the D1001 is a closed design.

But as far as SQ, the HD595 is in that "sweet spot" of resolution where you hear a lot of the details in the music but it doesn't kill you with brightness or any unusual or harsh frequency response characteristics. The only problem I really see with the HD595 is that it has that slightly "veiled" or distant sound. AKGs sound like you're sitting in the front row. Grados sound like you're on stage with the performers. But the HD595 sounds like you're way way way in the back of the concert hall.

The D1001K is probably very close to the HD595 in terms of resolution. You get a lot of the detail. But i think the main difference is in frequency response. The HD595 has a more natural, realistic tonal balance. The music sounds more lifelike (although see the note above about the Sennheiser "veil"). In contrast, the D1001K sounds less realistic, with the slightly sparkly highs and the subwoofer on the bottom end.

If realism or an "organic" sound is what you're after the HD595 would be better IMO.

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #14 of 18
I've had my D1001's for about a month, and your review is spot-on... but of course I have a small quibble:

Paired with an iPod 5.5, it does sound great un-amped with the EQ left off. My Kenwood amp (KA 3500) at home really make the Denons shine, IMO. This was an amp that had a weak and flattish sound when used with any speakers I tried it with, but does well with headphones.
Regarding the portability: It looks pared down enough to be portable, and they're certainly light enough, but sturdy enough? I'd say no. I worry about falling asleep and rolling over on them.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ounkchicago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKGs sound like you're sitting in the front row. Grados sound like you're on stage with the performers. But the HD595 sounds like you're way way way in the back of the concert hall.

The D1001K is probably very close to the HD595 in terms of resolution

These are great descriptions! I'm starting to appreciate that there's more to sound quality than just frequency response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back