Denon AH-C751, UE Super Fi. 5 Pro's or Q Jays?
Nov 30, 2008 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Apple254

100+ Head-Fier
After much research I have got my earphone list down to these three. Quite simply, which pair do you recommend?
darthsmile.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 20
What sort of sound do you want mate? The C751's (which I too delivery on yesterday) are apparently more bass heavy than most. I've read the Q-Jays are similarish to the Etymotic ER4's in that they offer extreme clearity but with the addition of more/better bass but not on the same level as the C751's. I don't know anything about those others you mentioned
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 20
Klipsch Image x10 would be best in your price range (half price sale). Q-JAYS would be second, Denon 3rd, Super.fi 5 pro last. I'm going into church and can't go into detail right now. Super.fi are the worst for rock due to their midrange suckout, just ok for jazz and classical.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 20
Q-jays offer the highest quality, most balanced sound out of the ones you mentioned. Denon's don't quite have the balance and detail of the Q-jays and isolate a lot less too. Super.fi 5 Pros are also less balanced than both Q-jays and Denons and you may also find the fit to be uncomfortable, depending on the size and shape of your ear canal.

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 20
I personally hated the q-Jays with a passion - too bright and forward, complete lack of bass and prone to problems with the replacable filters. Detailed maybe, but not in an enjoyable way - they always seemed to leave me with a headache, and I'm slightly prone to tinitus in my left ear which was really agrivated by the q-Jays but not by any other IEM I've owned.

I enjoyed the Denons far more than the Jays, as they have a warmer fuller sound, though I'd agree that they don't have the same degree of detail and don't isolate as well as some other IEMs.

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by digivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally hated the q-Jays with a passion - too bright and forward, complete lack of bass and prone to problems with the replacable filters. Detailed maybe, but not in an enjoyable way - they always seemed to leave me with a headache, and I'm slightly prone to tinitus in my left ear which was really agrivated by the q-Jays but not by any other IEM I've owned.

I enjoyed the Denons far more than the Jays, as they have a warmer fuller sound, though I'd agree that they don't have the same degree of detail and don't isolate as well as some other IEMs.

I am pretty sure you just didn't get a good seal with the Q-jays. In my opinion, they offer a very balanced presentation with just the right amount of bass for most music genres and the trebles, although a bit bright, are not at all overdone and just add some more pleasant sparkle to the music IMO.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 20
Agree completely about the seal on the q-jays. I had a very hard time getting a good seal and tried pretty much every size of the tips supplied. Small tips shoved in deep hurt, large tips for a more full seal fell out easily. Ultimately found a decent size with good bass but just got the foam tips and the bass is great. And I consider myself somewhat of a basshead. Certainly I'm not getting the bass in any IEM that I do with my two 12" subs for my HT setup. But the q-jays with the foam tips (or the silicone if the fit is right) have terrific bass and a very nice detailed and balanced sound.

Dec 3, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed - the q-JAYS do NOT in any world lack bass.

That's funny then, as I've seen lots of other posters who say that they do. We must all be just imagining it.

Quote:

therefore the seal was faulty.

I've owned plenty of different IEMs with no previous issue with getting a seal, so I know how to stick the things in my ear okay. My problems with the dodgy sound coming from my q-Jays had nothing to do with not getting a decent seal, and everything to do with the q-Jays sounding poor.

Maybe most of them sound fine, but it seems like quite a few slip out sounding dodgy. I won't ever know what a decent pair sounds like, as when I sent my back to be replaced I was just made to wait 7 weeks before I got a two line email telling me I'd been refunded minus £11 in postage costs.

Ergo ... in my opinion q-Jays suck.

Dec 3, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by digivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's funny then, as I've seen lots of other posters who say that they do. We must all be just imagining it.

I've owned plenty of different IEMs with no previous issue with getting a seal, so I know how to stick the things in my ear okay. My problems with the dodgy sound coming from my q-Jays had nothing to do with not getting a decent seal, and everything to do with the q-Jays sounding poor.

Maybe most of them sound fine, but it seems like quite a few slip out sounding dodgy. I won't ever know what a decent pair sounds like, as when I sent my back to be replaced I was just made to wait 7 weeks before I got a two line email telling me I'd been refunded minus £11 in postage costs.

Ergo ... in my opinion q-Jays suck.

Okay, your pair sucked, but it was probably defective then. I am sorry that happened to you. Also, if they had been bought used then the sound nozzle filters could have been clogged from the previous user, but it looks like from your post that you had new ones. So, I suspect they were defective, or I had one of the occasional pairs in existence with bass similar to my SE530 and it was a fluke. Mine were more refined and improved over my C700 and Super.fi 5 Pro as well.

Dec 4, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Okay, your pair sucked, but it was probably defective then. I am sorry that happened to you. Also, if they had been bought used then the sound nozzle filters could have been clogged from the previous user, but it looks like from your post that you had new ones. So, I suspect they were defective, or I had one of the occasional pairs in existence with bass similar to my SE530 and it was a fluke. Mine were more refined and improved over my C700 and Super.fi 5 Pro as well.

cant give up on the q-jays can yah?

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #15 of 20
Thanks for the all of the replies and arguments
biggrin.gif
. I just thought in case anyone was wondering my father has ordered me a pair of q Jays for Christmas. Also if I cannot get a good seal, I will most definitely not return them, but instead order some Comply tips. Once again, cheers.

Jake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back