Denon AH-C751 or Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5 Pro
Sep 7, 2008 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dbrodie

New Head-Fier
Have been reading several reviews on these two but can’t decide which one is better. Does anyone have experience of them, or any other earphone that is even better then these around the £100 mark?

Thanks

Sep 7, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbrodie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have been reading several reviews on these two but can’t decide which one is better. Does anyone have experience of them, or any other earphone that is even better then these around the £100 mark?

Thanks

Wow! That's a tough one. I have the Denons and with a little bit of EQ tweeking they are as good as $300 to $400 canalphones. They are fantastic! But I also have the Super fi-5 v2 which are supposed to sound better than the Pro and they do sound wonderful.

However, I believe the Denons would provide the better sound quality. They have an incredibly wide soundstage, open, airy and full sound with outstanding bass for quantity and quality. Very tightly controlled bass and the highs and mids...as I said, on my tweaked EQ... are astonishing. They are well worth the minimal money to buy them. I gave $120. Their sound is bright without any sibilance at my EQ settings and a very forward sound.

The Super fi-5s have a very wide soundstage but not as wide as the Denons, in my opinion. They have a bit warmer sound and their bass, though not a plentiful, is incredibly well controlled and very tight as long as a good seal is achieved. They have a forward sound which is very dynamic. The mids and highs are smooth and not grainy at all and are not as bright as the un-tweaked Denon.

Sep 7, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks Lewis, so in your opinion the Denon is the better.

The Denon’s do get excellent reviews but the Super Fi5 pro seems to get even better reviews. I don’t mind paying out the little extra if the Pro’s are the better phone. But I would like to order these tomorrow as my CX300 broke last week.

So you would recommend that I just go and get the Denon’s? I am still undecided.

Sep 7, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 11
If you want superb isolation get SF5pro, C751 as many other canalphones won't isolate as good as true IEMs do. As for sound quality, both should give you good sound maybe C751 will give you better bass impact and more airy presentation as it's case is not closed. Many people also have trouble with the fit of SF5 and that can make them sounds bad, same with C751 also, but canalphones usually are easier to fit.

Sep 7, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 11
Like I said, i have the version #2 of the Super fi-5s and they are said to be better sounding. I haven't ever heard the Pro so I can't comment on those. I do know that either one you really can't go wrong with. But you also need to consider fit and comfort. i find both of these canalphones to be similar in fit, though. They both can be worn over the ear for a more secure fit but the 5s are designed for over the ear, whereas the Denons are mainly designed for the cord draping down below the ear. I wear them over the ear and find it much better.

The 5s come with higher technology, two Balanced Armatures and the Denons use one Dynamic driver...it's basically a micro woofer.

Get both and return the one you don't like.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's that tight of a choice. The Denons have outstanding sound quality but the 5s have that excellent technology.

You can find the Denons here:

ANTOnline.com - Denon AHC751K Denon AHC751K In-ear Headphones (Black) ($98)

And the Super fi-5s here:

http://www.soundearphones.com/product.php?id=214

Sep 7, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 11
I've got no personal experience of the Super.Fi so I'm not qualified to comment on its sound quality, but I was put off by reports saying it can be uncomfortable and difficult to get to stay in your ears. That's not the case for everybody, but I know that I hate it when I can't get a good fit and have to keep fiddling, so didn't want to take the risk with them.

The Denons, which I do have, is a superb earphonephone and fantastic value for money.

If you're thinking of getting the Denon AH-C751 would you also consider the AH-C700? ... it's the exact same earphone, but it has a 1.2 metre cable rather than a short cable with an extension, and it doesn't come with a pouch to put the headphones in. The sound, according to info I've read in this forum, is supposed to be identical.

I prefer not having an extension cable, as it just adds extra unnecessary weight, so I went for the AH-C700, which can be bought for just £60 from iheadphones.co.uk

They also have the AH-C751, if you really want the cable extension and carry case, for about £80 in Silver or £90 in Black ... but even though that's still a really good price I don't think the extra £20 - £30 is worth it for an extension cable and pouch ... they sound the same anyway.

The only negatives I can think off with the Denons are that they are canalphones rather than IEMs so you don't get quite as much isolation as you might do with some other earphones that go deeper into the ear canal, but I find them adequate and quite comfy.

The fact you mention £100 makes me think that you must be in the UK rather the the US, so I think iheadphones.co.uk is the cheapest retailer you'll find for the Denon's if you choose to go for them ...

Denon AH-C700 Black | SALE Now On!
Denon AH-C751 Silver | SALE Now On!
Denon AH-C751 Black | SALE Now On!

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sep 7, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 11
Yeah, you gotta adjust the superfi's like every fifteen minutes or so (I use bi-flanges) but the comfort's not nearly as bad as some folks make it out to be. They also isolate pretty well.

Cheers

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note of CAUTION about those links, the website is known for Trojans.

Here is the thread that refers to the trojans ...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...e-read-358807/

It looks like some hackers managed to insert some malicious software on to iheadphones but according to the Google report the site is now clean ...

Has this site hosted malware?
No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for www.iheadphones.co.uk/

Slightly off-putting I'll admit, but I bought some earphones from them last week, and I've had no problem on my PC.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbrodie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys. I think I will go for the AH-C700, cheaper and have the same sound quality. Look forward to using them.

Thanks a lot

Good choice ... I hope you'll be happy with them. They are a great buy especially at £60 ... I think they cost around £140 when they first came on the market last year, and I've read reviews that came out at the time that said that they were a bargain at £140.

It's not an earphone thats had a lot of attention on these forums recently but there's a huge thread with lots of information about the C700 as well as the C551 and C751 here ...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/off...ssions-254224/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back