Denon AH-C700 vs MylarOne XBi
Apr 27, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muntej /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the great advice peeps...

I ended up going for the Denon AH-C551's. Ive had them playing for about 15 or so hours.

Im truly happy with the 551's, they suit the music i listen to perfectly. I love the SQ, build quality i couldnt be happier with them in these areas. Loving them!

The only slight problem i have is the fit. Im using the medium stock tips and they tend to keep slipping out which means im constantly poking them into my ears again. I employed a shirt clip which solved 50% of the problem. Ive got complys on order and im hoping they will give me the comfort i really want. I may also try the sony tips as i heard they can be better than the denons.

Other than that, even if the complys dont make a huge difference, im still extremly happy with the 551's.

If the complys are a good fit (they only come in one size) generally, you will love them. Just be sure to roll them in your fingers until they are thin, and you'll get a great seal when they expand.

May 7, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #17 of 24
I just got the complys and i have to say they have made a big difference. They are very comfy and they feel secure and tight in my ears. It has made a good difference to the SQ aswell. They were definatly worth the buy.

Thumbs up for both the denons and the comply foams to go with them.

icon10.gif

May 12, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #19 of 24
Im not a true"audiophile" so im not sure if i can be very specific, but i'll try anyway....

Im hearing new sounds in music that werent as obvious with the stock tips, especially with the very low frequencies, which are more present with the complys.

The highs seem more balanced and the overall sound is more neutral to me.

As for mid's.... my ears arnt tuned enough to comment properly, so i reserve comment on that
biggrin.gif

Source is an Ipod Nano w/ EQ - OFF

May 12, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the complys are a good fit (they only come in one size) generally, you will love them. Just be sure to roll them in your fingers until they are thin, and you'll get a great seal when they expand.

I got some of the Comply T400 tips for my Denons, and compared to genuine Sony EX tips, I noticed right away that they affect treble detail and soundstage. Rolled off highs, and a narrowing of the soundstage is what I heard. I think bass gets a tad more muffled and soft too. I didn't like what they did to the clarity of the sound. It's too bad because I was really hoping that they would make the C551's into more of an isolating earphone for traveling, since I do love the fit and noise blocking attributes. But with what I heard I won't use them.

I've been using the genuine Sony EX tips and haven't heard any other tips that rival what they offer in clarity across the frequency spectrum, so I'll just stick with those. When I went in to the Sony Style store to get the extended service plan for my Sony A829, I went so far as to ask the clerk if they had any extra medium tips that weren't needed that I could have!!! Heh heh.

Just my .02!

EDIT for a MOD!!- I just tried cutting the back 3mm or so off of the backs of a pair of the T400 tips, figuring that it looked like the plastic tube seemed longer than the length of the Sony EX tips. I thought this would get the surface of the Denon's sound tube closer into my ear, more like the Sony tips. I think it helped a slight bit over the normal Comply T400's, but the Sony EX tips STILL sound markedly better to me. Oh well, I tried an experiment at least! My skills with an exacto knife got put to the test.

May 13, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #21 of 24
I havnt had a chance to try the sony ex tips yet. The only hesiation i have is that those type of tips just never fit tightly enough for me and hence i wont get the best out of them.

The complys stay well in my ear and never require adjustment. They sound alot better than the stock denons, and maybe the sonys, perhaps purely because of the way they fit me.

I'll only know if i try, but im satisfied... for now.

May 14, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #22 of 24
I just got custom molds for my C551s will let you all know the results.

Tips are from Welcome to ListenHear

I have a hard time with the small plugs (can only use smalls very small ear holes).

pink

May 14, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muntej /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...can someone confirm which foams the two take please?

I can't comment on the Mylars, but I use Shure orange foamies on my C700s. For me, anyway, the seal and accordingly the bass, is significantly improved over the factory tips.

May 14, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #24 of 24
i use panasonic tips which are a little smaller tube but if you push just right and have time for patience, they they fit well. the sony are good but i have not only a small head but small ear canals so the sony wide mouth on even the smallest tip hurt. the panasonics have a much smaller opening, similar to the audio technica but have better holding power.

if you are small tubed, please check out the panasonics or Audio Technica models

Users who are viewing this thread

Back