Denon AH-C551 or Etymotic ER-6i or ...?
Apr 14, 2008 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nicholaus

Head-Fier
I recently bought an iPod Touch and would like to find a good pair of quality IEM's.As you can see,I'm new to Head-Fi,and i came here seeking answers,but instead just got confused.
confused.gif
I currently have the Sennheiser PX100,and I'm satisfied with the sound,but really need an IEM.My choice came down to the Denon C551 and Ety ER-6i as said in the title.I'm buying from e-Bay,considering I'm from Croatia.I'm not an audiophile,but trying to get there...
smily_headphones1.gif
Comfort is a factor,too.If u want to recommend any other IEM around this price range,please do.

Apr 14, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #3 of 15
How are they different to the Denon or Etymotic model?

Apr 14, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are they different to the Denon or Etymotic model?

Have you read any of the threads on the IM716? If so, you'll have noted that most people feel they need to be used with an amp to get maximum benefit from them. If you're not prepared to carry round an amp (or to get the 'podectomy' done), then it won't be such a good choice for you.

There are lots of threads about the C551s and also the Etymotic ER-6i.

The C551s are excellent little earphones (solid aluminium housing), with a good amount of tight bass and a forward midrange. My friend has the Etymotic ER-6i and she loves them. I tried them once and didn't like how 'thin' and 'empty' they sounded compared with the Denons, but that's just my opinion. I don't think you can go wrong with the Denons.

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 15
I also vote for the Denons, especially if you can get them sub-$70, which was the case with Amazon last week. I picked up a pair, and at first they seem a bit harsh in the high/mid range. But they've settled down somewhat, but more importantly, I was able to use the Sony A816 EQ to tone them down, and now they sound great. I know the iPod EQ isn't very good (no custom), but you may still like their sound without EQ.

The er6i have the Ety sound, and there is also the added expense of filter replacement, which I found happened more with the er6i than the ER4P, for some reason.

Plus the Denon cable and housing are much more substantial.

A tip, so to speak, If you get the 551s, spring for the Comply T400 tips. They offer much better isolation and fit in my view.

The im716s, as Soozieq notes, are not the best portable phone due to their impedence. They do sound great with an amp, but I own them and they are hard to drive without one and don't get anywhere near their potential. Others might not agree.

Apr 14, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoloni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Etymotics if you want more detail in your sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried them once and didn't like how 'thin' and 'empty' they sounded compared with the Denons.

I'm a little confused here...

As for the amp,no,I'm not gonna get one in the near future.I'll "probably" go with the Denons,but I'll wait just a little longer to see if anyone has something else to add.I doubt that I would be disappointed with either one,but as long as I'm buying,it doesn't hurt to seek some advice...
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoloni
the Etymotics if you want more detail in your sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq
I tried them once and didn't like how 'thin' and 'empty' they sounded compared with the Denons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholaus
I'm a little confused here...

No need to be confused. I based the 'thin' and 'empty' in a direct comparison with the C551s, which have a much fuller sound. The ER-6i may have more detail, but there's little bass to speak of, (again, in comparison), which makes them sound slightly unbalanced in the high end (and possibly makes them appear more detailed.)

A lot depends on what you'll be listening to.

Apr 14, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 15
Oh,when you put it that way...Well I listen to all kinds of music,from rock,pop,indie to dance,house,R&B...But it seems that I will get the Denons as said.Thanks for explaining everything.

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 15
I got the Denons C551 and there's a problem.I don't like their sound.
frown.gif
I can't seem to relax while listening to them,if you know what i mean...I am new with describing sound,but to me it seems that the highs are too aggressive,too loud,like they 're attacking me...I tried different tips(I even bought Comply foam T 400),but it doesn't change much.Anyone had a similar problem?Bdw. I am using an iPod Touch...

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the Denons C551 and there's a problem.I don't like their sound.
frown.gif
I can't seem to relax while listening to them,if you know what i mean...I am new with describing sound,but to me it seems that the highs are too aggressive,too loud,like they 're attacking me...I tried different tips(I even bought Comply foam T 400),but it doesn't change much.Anyone had a similar problem?Bdw. I am using an iPod Touch...

How long have you been listening with them? If you burn them in overnight a couple nights (preferably with a pink noise file set on loop), they'll mellow out some. I thought they were bright and a bit harsh when I first got them too, but they've calmed down nicely. Since they use a dynamic driver, it takes a good while to become fully burned in. Read through the C700 thread and see how much of a transformation people experience with those. These should undergo the same kind of effect.

Be patient.
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #15 of 15
Got them yesterday...Hmm,pink noise?Can you give me an example?Where can i find something like that?

EDIT...

Just found this site Burn-in wave files: white noise, pink noise, frequency sweep, channel mix and found the pink noise...let the burning begin
biggrin.gif

Update

After a few days burning in I really see the difference.They sound much better now.Since these are my first IEM's which needed burning,i never knew burning could have such an effect.Is this a case with every IEM or is it specific to every model/brand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back