Denon AH-C400 / Denon AH-C301
May 21, 2014 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

revirtual

New Head-Fier
My MEElectronics A151 gave out, looking for replacement.

What i noticed that prices change rapidly and since it plays a critical role in reviews (e.g. one can be evaluated as 7/10 in 200+ category, but 10/10 if they would be in >100), it greatly influences the value.

One example would be Denon AH-C400, which are now 80£ on amazon (although the previous price as 350£ looks a bit funny).
http://www.trustedreviews.com/denon-ah-c400_Headphones_review
compares them to Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 (which obviously are above).
Denon AH-C301 go for 64£, which also contains huge discount.

My question would be more oriented towards the price / (quality, performance) ratio, which, considering the original pricing category would put them to mid-high section.
Is this a really good value or they there that much overpriced ? Would there be better options for same price range ? (<100£), which are not discounted ?

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 8
The ah-c400 are at the price the best sub 200 euro IEMs money can buy. The sound with a good seal is sublime. I've got quite a collection of IEMs at this stage and I always reach for the ah-c400s. I prefer them to my quad BA phones. The only issue is, they take hundreds of hours to break in, once they do though the base is quite good, the mids sound as natural as mids can sound (really I haven't heard better mids even from shures) and the highs are sparkly without being annoying. I'm not even going to mention the sound stage, well maybe I'll just say that it surpasses by a mile every other IEM i've ever had.
I really love these and at 80 euro there really isn't anything that comes close. I'd even say at 200 / 300 you'd be hard pressed to find a better sound. There is really no doubt about it these, at 80 euro, are the bargain of the decade and my favourite IEMs.

Oh use the foam tips with these, you won't be sorry.

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for your reply;

I did get the AH-C400, comparing to the old ME's A151 they are much better.

And yes, the foam tips are amazing. Just not very durable - after 2 months of daily usage i can see them starting to wear out. Although i assume there are still 2 months or more left until they are unusable (start affecting isolation/comfort). 

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 8
Yeah, that's the thing with Foam tips. Although squeezing them before putting them in the ears + good strain relief will extend the life somewhat.
I have so many IEMs these days, I'll never run out. The phones themselves are bulletproof though.

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 8
Got some bad news - the left phone cable connection broke. The classical inside connection problem (it works after turning the cable to certain angle). It's right after where the cable splits into 2 (to the left/right earphones). There is no visible damage, so i think it's just bad design (no extra support in this spot).

Anyway, it lasted good 5 months of active usage. Since it's covered by the warranty i requested for a refund (replacement not available), which will be fulfilled by Amazon.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 8
Picked up  pair of AH-C400s and they are pretty good.  I put on some Comply tips and today's airplane ride was very musical indeed.  :)

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 8
Heres a little bit of a bump for this thread.

Im interested in these (they're on woot for a very good deal it looks like) as a possible replacement for my aging Atrio MG7's.  Ive LOVED these guys for the past 4 or so years but it seems poor Future Sonics went out of buisness in the intervening time :frowning2:

Anyway, Ive had BA sets before (Klipsch Custom-2's and a used set of UE super.fi pros) that I liked alot, but the Atrios have been my favorites so far.  Anyone have thoughts on how these would compare?  The giant soundstage and high level of detail sound very intriguing but about a third of my listening is to EDM and pop music (the other thirds being indie and classical) and Im worried Ill miss the bass, especially coming from the bass-heavy atrios.

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #8 of 8
They are definitely worth the $100 WOOT price regardless of how they compare to whatever you're using now.  I think I'll grab a second pair as backup at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back