Denon AH-260
May 6, 2011 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

WoahReQQuiem

Not permitted to do trades.
Hi guys, this is my first post (and mini-review), I've been a lurker for quite a while around here, and after a new purchase of in-ears, I've decided to post a mini-review about them.

I've been using Skullcandy Smokin' Buds for 5 months now (long before knowing about the world of audiophiles), and I'll compare the Denons to these. 

Build:
The Denon AH-C260 is much, much lighter and more comfortable than stock iPod buds and the Skullcandies, and its really easy to put on a good seal on these. The wires are thin, so I fear breaking them, but the L-plug is more durable than those straight ones.

Sound:
Bass: The Denon's bass is somewhat similar to the Skullcandies, but they punch less and they sound clearer. I've tested it out on a couple of songs, and the bass is much more refined than any other in-ears I've tried.

Mids: On the moment I played a song with these, I've noticed a significant difference with the clarity of the mids on these. The vocals sound much much better, and the instruments sound more natural and pleasing to the ears. It's really a big shift from the Skullcandy.

Highs: This is where the Denon fell. The highs on the Skullcandy sound much less piercing than the Denons. The Denon's highs were muddy (for example, the cymbals on Pachuca Sunrise by Minus the Bear), and, on some songs, really fatiguing (Michael by Franz Ferdinand). But, I hope, those will be fixed after some burn-in (I really think[hope] these might need some..)

Overall: The Denon provides clear sound, perfect for some songs focused on mid-lows to mids. The soundstage is decent, compared to the Skullcandies. They provide a good thump on the bass, and not too heavy. They can be used for long durations and you won't feel it on your ears.

Oh, and do I need an external amp? I read that the iPod classic has an internal amp with a max power output of 60mW, but the Denons have 100mW. Will that fix the problem with the muddy/fatiguing highs?
Also, do they need burning in?

May 7, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 5
they will likely change after burnin. I would burn them in for 50-100 hrs (if you let them burnin while asleep it only takes a week or so to get the job done).

May 7, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 5
I have already burned them in for 6 hours overnight(not including the playtime where I actually listened to these, which have accumulated 2 hours), and the harsh treble turned into soft, smooth, crisp treble.

May 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 5
i did the same comparison, use the search or look on my profile, it will be there somewhere. Good short objective comparison, well done. Keep up the good work. They are nice little IEM's. Comment on my comparison too please :) the more the better.

May 7, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 5
www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/547566/review-denon-ah-c260-vs-skullcandy-smokin-buds

there we go, saved you the search. Hope you like it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back