Denon AD2000/5000 vs. JVC Victor DX1000, edit: or HFI-780
May 23, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #16 of 55
rhw I have had the opportunity to do extensive side by side of the three cans you mention. I compared them over a long period of time and with a lot of amps (SS, hybrid, and tube amps). To me there was no comparison and I sold the JVC/Victor DX1000.

The DX1000 have a rolled off treble and thus were sold. The rest of the presentation (bass, mids, and soundstage) is very good and they are very comfortable.

Both the Denon D2000/D5000 when modded "a la" MarkL become IMO world class headphones and easily beat the DX1000 and the Sony R10 for that matter. Yes I have compared them side by side.

However, at the end of the day what we think is irrelevant. It is what you hear with your gear, music, and ears that matter. So try to test them to decide yourself. Good luck.

May 23, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #17 of 55
Many thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
After looking at many other threads here and elsewhere I think a Denon might match my imagination more than the Victor (while a DX 1000 is cheaper to get in Europe).
Therefore I will try the D2000 - first.
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe upgrade later ......

I am astonished reading the opinions about Lawton Audio.
Several have given positive feedback .... especially using the mod or the wood cups?

Many t h a n k s again
for the support.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhw /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am astonished reading the opinions about Lawton Audio.
Several have given positive feedback .... especially using the mod or the wood cups?

Many t h a n k s again
for the support.
smily_headphones1.gif

It is only the opinion of a couple of mis-guided members, IMO they have an axe to grind specially when the mods can be done for free. I would not take their comments to be valid. Good luck.

May 23, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mrarroyo do one also have to upgraded the cable too to achieve the result? Or is the markl mod sufficent as is?

With the D5000/D7000 the stock cable is of very high quality, I have not re-cable my D5000. However the D2000's cable is allegedly not as good and I had it recabled by HiFLYiN9 using a silver plated copper he offers (Xev). Depending on your likes or dislikes you may prefer an all copper cable like one by Cardas.

May 23, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #23 of 55
I keep reading that as far as bass is concerned, the DX1000 and the Denon D7000 are the s****. Is it true that the Grado GS/PS1000 are acoustically more accurate, but the bass is a bit lacking? I have heard that in general on all the Grados. Also does it matter what kind of amp you run to produce the best overall bass response, or is any amp generally going to power a "bassy" headphone the same as the next? The reason i ask is because i have just purchased the D7000 (which are still on order), and I have a general idea of what amp i want to purchase, but does anyone have a good suggestion for an amp that would reproduce the biggest bass?

May 24, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #25 of 55
Surfvvax, IMO the Denon's in general benefit from an SS amp. There are a lot of good ones out there and a lot will depend on your budget and the sound you are looking for. For the Denons I am partial to offerings by Graham Slee, Rudistor, HeadRoom, Amphora by ALO and the Blue Circle.

May 26, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #26 of 55
It´s not like markl give false information or anything??? Though KeeS mod must be the best mod ever created but you need to get a PRO 900 to do that properly
wink.gif
. Highly recommended if you want something more neutral and don´t want the headphones to colour the sound to much.

Both the markl d5000 I had are fun headphones which quite some unique presentation. Get both? I don´t know how it´s with the denons and after market now but I guess you can try one without loosing to much and then you maybe can relax a bit
smily_headphones1.gif
They where a bit like enabling a club soundfield with reverbs activated for me. Guess some people just love that but it didn´t work out for me.

As for the DX 1000 I loved it when I had mine but you have to tune in on it. It has BIG bass, Big mid range but it´s tight as heck. It often takes you to a better world particularly for classical music. However it´s not the best all rounder and if you want transparent headphones again they are not for you. Main problem I had with them was the treble roll off. And as mentioned I seem to preferr "studio headphones" more often then fun headphones like the DX 1000 and markl D5000. It´s easier to listen to headphones that sounds more natural. I am partly cured but not totally I enjoy music the most when it sounds real and let me forget wearing headphones.

So for myself obviously DX 1000. Though I would say the markl D5000 do look better. DX 1000 is just too big. But subjectivelly the best looking headphones are the ones that sounds the best but in a photo shoot contest DX 1000 looses
wink.gif
. Isolation is a lot better on the DX 1000 and it stays on your head better if you are a headbanger. Can be a bit finicky in the beginning finding the sweet spot or the head band may hurt you a little. D5000 very comfortable but just too loose. It´s really annoying when you can´t turn your head without the headphones staying in place.

May 26, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #27 of 55
As for bass closed headphones don´t necessarily have more in volume but generally more impact so you may be reminded about it a bit more. If you have speakers with a sub you can try switch off the sub. You may not always noticed it´s there but you miss it when it´s switched off. Depends also how quite your room is since really low bass can be hard to hear otherwise. Open headphones often do have slightly better extension. PRO 2500 versus Proline 750 for example. Though PRO 900 have the deepest bass I ever heard in a headphone and it´s more articulated than the DX 1000. Now I don´t have a problem with it´s bass. It get a bit one note at times but oh what a note and you never ever get any problem with the ear cups vibrating.

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, at the end of the day what we think is irrelevant. It is what you hear with your gear, music, and ears that matter. So try to test them to decide yourself. Good luck.

Well, that's it.

The last two weekends I had the opportunity to try a Denon D2000 and a JVC DX1000.
For my head/ears the JVC was more comfortable (and the leather has a fine feeling) than the Denon.
The two headphones havn't been broken in (each only appr. 50 hours), therefore my audible experience might be wrong or misleading.
I listened to the two with a MacBookPro/iTunes/lossless audio files>van den Hul optical cable>iBasso D10.
I liked the JVC more than the Denon. The Denon was too much "in my face", aggressive and had sometimes a really wooly bass. The JVC was more balanced with a warm character, nice body of the instruments and no real bass boost.
With both headphones I got a puppet theatre feeling, miniature musical instruments in front of my head. (Closed headphones feeling?)
I like more the airyness of open headphones like my Grado and have decided to go a different route for the moment.
I pre-ordered a Grado HF2, which shall sound warmer than my RS1 and have more bass (Greetings to Todd
wink.gif
).
(The warmth and bass of the JVC is what I miss most after sending back the JVC headphone .... hmmmmmmmm ..... might be later ..........)
The Grados are air-light on my head.....

(May I try an Ultrasone HFI 780 - which many use on head-fi?)

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #29 of 55
rhw I also have the HFI-780 re-cabled by Alex of APureSound. The HFI-780 need about 450 hours of burn in to settle and the APureSound re-cable help them a lot. However I still prefer the Denon D2000 w/ the MarkL Mods and a pair of his V4 Bubinga wood cups, w/ a re-cable to botht he HFI-780 and the JVC DX1000. I found the DX1000 extremely beautiful, confortable, and with great bass and low mids. However the JVC's treble to me was rolled off.

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Both the Denon D2000/D5000 when modded "a la" MarkL become IMO world class headphones and easily beat the DX1000 and the Sony R10 for that matter. Yes I have compared them side by side.

OOOOOOoooooooooh !!
What a statement !! Its been a while since im thinking about it but now i think it is settle...... since i got my amp im jumping on a LA2000 !!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back