Denon 3910 SACD/DVD-A player questions
Oct 10, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #16 of 23
thanks for the replies guys, I have read that some of the denon universal players can indeed have the DSD tapped at the point it goes into the dac, before it is sent to be encoded with the locks. just cant remember offhand which models. guess i'm gonna be googling for a while. I would not buy the denon for its dac capabilities, although i'm sure they sound excellent. This is a transport only buy, as however good they are, I doubt anything other than the top models will beat the Buffalo32 dac.

and yes Jpelg, I realize it wont output the DSD from the outputs; nothing does, it would require me to tap it internally and pass this to the buffalo as DSD, which is supported along with PCM and spdif via dipswitch settings on the dac board

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the replies guys, I have read that some of the denon universal players can indeed have the DSD tapped at the point it goes into the dac, before it is sent to be encoded with the locks. just cant remember offhand which models. guess i'm gonna be googling for a while. I would not buy the denon for its dac capabilities, although i'm sure they sound excellent. This is a transport only buy, as however good they are, I doubt anything other than the top models will beat the Buffalo32 dac.

and yes Jpelg, I realize it wont output the DSD from the outputs; nothing does, it would require me to tap it internally and pass this to the buffalo as DSD, which is supported along with PCM and spdif via dipswitch settings on the dac board

The 5900 is a excellent transport compared to the 2930ci, but doubt it has what you are looking for with the DSD, etc.. I'd look into the 3930ci personally..

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #18 of 23
Nice price, Peete! I got mine for $320 shipped from Audiogon. I'll be most interested in your post-mod comments.

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by carledwards /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice price, Peete! I got mine for $320 shipped from Audiogon. I'll be most interested in your post-mod comments.

Seems like a good price for these .....what condition was yours in at the time of sale (similar to mine ) ?

Peete.

Oct 14, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like a good price for these .....what condition was yours in at the time of sale (similar to mine ) ?

Peete.

Excellent condition; like new, really. I was fortunate.
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by carledwards /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent condition; like new, really. I was fortunate.
biggrin.gif

Cool
smily_headphones1.gif

Just checked the tracking page...looks like tomorrow is a real possibility for delivery (fingers crossed).

Peete.

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #22 of 23
AFAIK, either Russ or Brian modded one of these, removing the unwanted bits and replacing them with a buffalo (24 at the time IIRC). But, I think it was a 1910 model they used. Ever since I have been thinking about getting one. A guy I know has one local to me for sale... but its a 1940 rather than a 1910. Wonder would it work?

Fran

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #23 of 23
Tough to say Fran I know nothing about the 1940 and just enough to be dangerous (with a soldering iron) about the 3910......speaking of which the 3910 arrived today and is in perfect condition ! Nice unit from what I've heard thus far on the 2 channel rig. Have to try the headphone setup tomorrow.

Peete.

PS: I've been in contact with Chris Johnson of Partsconexxion ...he has all the goodies to mod this unit. So far a clock and PSU mods ( UWB super regs) Maybe a Zap filter II output (would like to change to XLR out to the balanced preamp of the main 2 channel system) Anyway details and such to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back