Denon 2200 is dying
Jul 25, 2008 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ComfyCan

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

My Denon 2200 seems to be slowly dying. It still plays SACD and DVD-A reliably, but it regularly has difficulty recognizing redbook CD's for some reason.

So, I'm in the market for a new player. Ideally, it would be a universal player like the Denon that I could use to play "everything"--relying on the internal DAC for SACD/DVD-A and using it as a transport to feed my Grace 902 DAC/Amp for redbook. If there aren't any compelling bargains in the universal camp these days, then I could continue to use the Denon for high-rez and would just need a good redbook player/transport. Budget is 1K--preferably less. From a little quick reading, it looks like the Marantz SA8001 is getting most of the love these days, although it doesn't play DVD-A.

Thoughts appreciated.

Jul 27, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 2
Just in case someone stumbles across thread thread in a search, here's what I decided to do:

It turns out there are a lot of used Denon universal players available at very reasonable prices on E-Bay and Audiogon these days. (e.g.,2200, 2900, 3901) Presumably this is related to the victory of Blu-Ray over HD-DVD in the format wars, and the resultant release of more players that read Blu-Ray. Also, some of the older universals don't have HDMI, and I suspect home theater buffs who bought Denons a few years ago just have too many reasons to upgrade now.

However, I also found out that the problem I'm having with my 2200 is not terribly unusual in these universal players: they sometimes have a hard time "noticing" and therefore reading redbook CD's. This is annoying, to say the least. Still, if anyone has a need for a decent player to handle SACD or DVD-A "on the cheap," they could easily pick up one of these between $100-$400 depending on the model. There's also the chance, of course, that such a player would not have the problem with redbook cd's that mine has (I bought it used a few years ago and it served me very well until recently). Redbook was never the strongsuit of these players IMO anyway.

Anyway, I decided to keep my 2200 for my DVDA's and buy a new Marantz SA 8001 for redbook and SACD. The reviews are so positive and the price is so reasonable that I just couldn't resist. (I ordered mine from American Theater in the low $700's). There are also B-Stock units available elsewhere in the high $600's. Arguably, this is more CD player than I need since I have a Grace m902 Dac/Amp, but what the heck. Such is the head-fi way of life.
smily_headphones1.gif

I look forward to comparing the performance of the DAC in the Grace vs. the DAC in the Marantz, and will report accordingly.

Happy listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back